Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
HOVAN

Drives: 45TH
AY6 manual transmission questions

Aisin AY6 manual transmission so as of right now i hate the living crap out of this transmission seems like its built terrible and not meant to be on camaro's. I would like to know peoples thought's and opinion's on it and if they have many issues with it. Also i went on there website but couldn't seem to fine it. But does any one know if this transmission uses brass blocker rings or composite rings? Because that would explain all my issues why it doesn't engage sometimes in first gear and now sometimes second.

I've taken it to 2 dealership's but they say nothing wrong and cant verify the problem so they wont take the transmission out and look at it when there an actual problem all they say is you have 100k warranty on the transmission so come back if it keeps happening.

If any one can help thanks!
HOVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Drain the fluid and try GM Synchromesh. Buy it at the dealer; takes two quarts/liters. Report back.

I see you live nearby. Let me know if you need assistance.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
HOVAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Drain the fluid and try GM Synchromesh. Buy it at the dealer; takes two quarts/liters. Report back.

I see you live nearby. Let me know if you need assistance.

John B.
Thanks John ill give that a shot will they charge me or should this be under warranty what fluid is in those transmissions right now? I also only got 23,000 miles on my car if that makes a difference on changing it or not.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
JohnnyBfromPeoria

It's not the stock fluid, but others have reported excellent results. Honestly, I'd just buy the two quarts necessary and do it in the driveway as it's not a warranty thing, just routine maintenance, but replacing the fluid with an upgrade. I'm at 20,500 miles and could use to do the same thing (mine still has the stock fluid as well), so this would give me an excuse to buy a new gear lube pump (usually under $10).

Let me know. Probably budget around a half hour per car.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Oh, stock fluid is just a standard, non-synthetic 75W-90 gear lube. I was going to use Mobil 1 synthetic, but the collective experience recently has me strongly leaning to Synchromesh.

John B.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
HOVAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
It's not the stock fluid, but others have reported excellent results. Honestly, I'd just buy the two quarts necessary and do it in the driveway as it's not a warranty thing, just routine maintenance, but replacing the fluid with an upgrade. I'm at 20,500 miles and could use to do the same thing (mine still has the stock fluid as well), so this would give me an excuse to buy a new gear lube pump (usually under $10).

Let me know. Probably budget around a half hour per car.

John B.
Alright thanks. I told my dad about this an he wont let me touch the damn car. He wants the dealership to do it because if they screw up it there fault and he said if screw up then my warranty screwed. But honestly its not hard to change transmission fluid its just like an oil change. Sometimes i wonder why i goto UTI when he wont let me work on my own car.

Just got off the phone with the dad i'm from California and we have a really good tech out there i guess he was experience this problem too with the stock oil 75w-90 so he recommend what you recommend GM Synchromesh oil and a product from justice brothers gear oil treatment

Last edited by HOVAN; 06-06-2013 at 01:37 PM.