Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
That comes with it standard.
The Option packages ADDs: A/C - Radio - 5 speakers (total of 6)(unconfirmed)
CONFIRMED by Mark a GM Engineer
Listen at 3:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...HMYT0TBY#t=219

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #30
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
If you can afford the car you can afford to DD it.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #31
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Stiff racing suspensions don't like city streets. Urban driving on average streets could do some serious damage if the streets have potholes or bucked joints. Racing suspension bends and is unforgiving.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #32
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1sniper3x View Post
The suspension is going to be extremely stiff and unforgiving on any kind of surface that's not smooth. I've hit a few bumps on the Parkway in my 1LE that have hurt...I can only imagine what they'd feel like in a Z/28.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Stiff racing suspensions don't like city streets. Urban driving on average streets could do some serious damage if the streets have potholes or bucked joints. Racing suspension bends and is unforgiving.
The Z/28 should ride quite well with the exotic DSSV struts. The Z/28 TEAM tuned the damping for low speed circuit to be more comfortable than you would expect. The high speed circuit is much more aggressive than the 1LE damping. The ultra light Z/28 wheels have passed the same pot hole, curb pounding in general abuse on public road way standards as all other GM wheels. The suspension arms are the same as the rest of the 5th Gen line. This is not a fragile or passenger abusive Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
To DD this car, one will have to swap wheels with something more streetable like the Zl1 or 1Le setup.
I would personally add more sidewall to the tires to help with the harsh road bumps...more like the SS setup.
Nooooooooooooo!

It won't be a Z/28 without 305/30/19. The Trofeo tires can be driven on the street within certain parameters, but will not last long. A new Z/28 owner can swap out the Trofeos with Bridgestone RE-11s. The RE-11s will deliver about the same tire life as the GYs on the 1LE and Zl1 and do quite well on track. The other option that would be my personal preference is to order a set of Frogline wheels for the track. Put the new Trofeos on the Forgelines and Bridgestone RE-11s on the OEM Z/28 wheels.

An SS style staggered wheel and tire setup will add understeer to a car that was designed to be neutral. It s no different than drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
The carbon ceramic brakes will last "forever" in a street only driven car, so that is of no concern.

Tires are only suitable for +40f use. And you already know they cost $550'ish each. With no burnouts or super aggressive street driving, the Trofeo's will last 5000-8000 street miles. Or approx 4-5 track days depending upon driver's driving style.
My guess is at race speeds the best you'll get out of a set of Trofoe tires is 75 laps. The Z/28 is a momentum track car like a SCCA Mazda Miata spec class race car. It is all about carrying speed through the corners. The only way to be fast on the straight is to be flying when you exit the corner. The data from the Ring show that to be accurate, even on a cool damp track or in full rain. When you are glued to the corners with aero down force and great setup in a substantial vehicle like the Z/28 tire life gets short fast. Almost as fast as the Z/28 corners.

I have driven my Camaro in Chicago, Detroit, Philly, NYC and through the rural areas of Pennsylvania on 305/30/19s with 10kg coils. Unlike the Z/28 my Camaro suspension replaced every OEM rubber bushing with urethane or steel jacketed urethane bushings with the exception of the front inner LCA. With 27mm front and 32mm rear sway bars every automotive engineer insisted the ride would be terrible. When I took them out in the car or let a few actually drive they were stunned. Ride quality is relative. Coming out of a 74 Caddy the ride quality would be shocking. For those that love to drive performance vehicles I think they will find the Z/28 a great daily driver with or without AC and stereo. The problem I have with cars this competent is speed is relative. Did I really just enter the expressway at 130 MPH? Nah. That would never happen.

Last edited by JusticePete; 10-18-2013 at 06:55 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #33
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
My guess is at race speeds the best you'll get out of a set of Trofoe tires is 75 laps. The Z/28 is a momentum track car like a SCCA Mazda Miata spec class race car. It is all about carrying speed through the corners. The only way to be fast on the straight is to be flying when you exit the corner. The data from the Ring show that to be accurate, even on a cool damp track or in full rain. When you are glued to the corners with aero down force and great setup in a substantial vehicle like the Z/28 tire life gets short fast. Almost as fast as the Z/28 corners.

I have driven my Camaro in Chicago, Detroit, Philly, NYC and through the rural areas of Pennsylvania on 305/30/19s with 10kg coils. Unlike the Z/28 my Camaro suspension replaced every OEM rubber bushing with urethane or steel jacketed urethane bushings with the exception of the front inner LCA. With 27mm front and 32mm rear sway bars every automotive engineer insisted the ride would be terrible. When I took them out in the car or let a few actually drive they were stunned. Ride quality is relative. Coming out of a 74 Caddy the ride quality would be shocking. For those that love to drive performance vehicles I think they will find the Z/28 a great daily driver with or without AC and stereo. The problem I have with cars this competent is speed is relative. Did I really just enter the expressway at 130 MPH? Nah. That would never happen.
Great looking car! Aggressive stance.

Thanks for the real-life perspective and bullet points. Treating it as a momentum car makes sense given the heft you are throwing around. You can't expect a fat girl to transition quickly (physics and all that good stuff). As well, trying to launch quickly from corners would suffer the same limitations (accelerating the mass). So I appreciate your comment because I hadn't really thought driving it like that.

It seems to me this car would also take well to really hammering rumblestrips/berms? The suspension looks to soak up some big berms that other cars would be thrown off balance by?

Urethane will be luxurious and I'm looking forward to it :-) I've suffered many miles road and track with full spherical-ended and metal bushed suspensions. My ears and ass hurt just thinking about it...lol. Didn't I read the Z/28 will have urethane bushes? Or did they just go with stiffer rubber ones?
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #34
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
It would be interesting to know the difference in brake wear, over the 24-hour test, between the ZL1 and the Z/28...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #35
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Great looking car! Aggressive stance.

Thanks for the real-life perspective and bullet points. Treating it as a momentum car makes sense given the heft you are throwing around. You can't expect a fat girl to transition quickly (physics and all that good stuff). As well, trying to launch quickly from corners would suffer the same limitations (accelerating the mass). So I appreciate your comment because I hadn't really thought driving it like that.

It seems to me this car would also take well to really hammering rumblestrips/berms? The suspension looks to soak up some big berms that other cars would be thrown off balance by?

Urethane will be luxurious and I'm looking forward to it :-) I've suffered many miles road and track with full spherical-ended and metal bushed suspensions. My ears and ass hurt just thinking about it...lol. Didn't I read the Z/28 will have urethane bushes? Or did they just go with stiffer rubber ones?
The Z/28 was designed to eat turtlebacks and remain composed.

Final specs have not been released, but from what I have seen on the mules the Z/28 leaves the factory with rubber bushings. I am guessing 1LE sub-frame bushings, but that s just a guess. The mules I have seen may not be a good representation of what they just ran at the Ring.

I laugh to myself every time i think - momentum car with a LS7 in it
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #36
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel insane View Post
.. about the Z/28 not being a daily driver?

Granted, it doesn't have the creature comforts, etc. but is there a more serious reason why Chevy has stated this?

I can see this car as the weekend warrior, breaking it out on nice days, etc. even for those of us that don't have track related aspirations.
...it'll be about an inch and a fraction lower in ride heigth than the ZL1 which will cause a bit more of a clearance issue for bumps, rises, and driveways, and the front runners may be a bit much more to handle in a turning radius situation for the street, otherwise it's turn key and good to go!.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #37
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
It would be interesting to know the difference in brake wear, over the 24-hour test, between the ZL1 and the Z/28...
Pads would wear and be replaced pretty much same rate as with iron rotors. The original CC rotors would likely still be serviceable while the irons got replaced several times.

Bear in mind the primary benefits of the CC, after reduced rotating mass and unsprung weight are no warping and consistent pedal feel lap after lap (no fading). Also those calipers are Brembo's newer style, much more rigid than previous iterations which yields a very firm pedal and less pad taper (leading/trailing) as they wear. A rock hard brake pedal lap after lap is one of the best features of a "real" track car, confidence inspiring and every bit as enjoyable as a responsive engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Z/28 was designed to eat turtlebacks and remain composed.

I laugh to myself every time i think - momentum car with a LS7 in it
Turtlebacks- that is new one to me, funny!

Yeah, me too, read your post and thought Miata/momentum and Camaro and initial thought was "wha?"...haha. But I get it.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #38
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...it'll be about an inch and a fraction lower in ride heigth than the ZL1 which will cause a bit more of a clearance issue for bumps, rises, and driveways, and the front runners may be a bit much more to handle in a turning radius situation for the street, otherwise it's turn key and good to go!.
Yea, that Z/28 splitter looks like it will definitely give you trouble because it looks like it sticks out far.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #39
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Yea, that Z/28 splitter looks like it will definitely give you trouble because it looks like it sticks out far.
...thanks for reminding me, the front splitter is a parking barrier potential nightmare for the ride....
Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #40
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Really, it comes down to this:

If you are true enthusiast, you could probably drive the Z/28 every day and love every minute of it having no complaints at all. (This is where I raise my hand...)

Now, if you are not a true car enthusiast who just likes the looks of the Z/28 but you're expecting the "around town ride" of a luxurious Cadillac, then your going to be disappointed.

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #41
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post

If you are true enthusiast, you could probably drive the Z/28 every day and love every minute of it having no complaints at all. (This is where I raise my hand...)

Now, if you are not a true car enthusiast who just likes the looks of the Z/28 but you're expecting the "around town ride" of a luxurious Cadillac, then your going to be disappointed.
Mike,

Did you get to ride over any rough spots while you were at Milford?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #42
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post

...and that I nominate the overstatement of the obvious award for the day!