Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #29
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbob View Post
I just installed the Flowmaster part #817506 on my 2012 2SS conv Friday. Ordered it from Jegs. Two day free shipping.
The most difficult part was positioning the sawsall for easy cutting. I also removed the angle braces that give the car additional rigidity. Don't forget to reinstall. They may need a little persuasion with a hammer. Once I got the pipes cut, the rest was easy. After grinding off the sharp edges on the factory pipes, the flowmasters slipped right on.
Great sound.
Tools I used: ramps, cordless impact wrench, sawsall, air grinder, 15mm socket, WD40 for the hangers.

I'm 66 years old and it took me two and a half hours and three beers.

Ncbob – Thanks for the nice installation write-up! This should help anyone who thinks they can’t do the installation themselves at home and save a little cash.
flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #30
mja-PSU

Drives: 2011 conv. 2SS RS
Has anyone come across a 3" Flowmaster cat-back yet?
mja-PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #31
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja-PSU View Post
Has anyone come across a 3" Flowmaster cat-back yet?
Yes- the American Thunder... but it won't fit the verts. the mufflers don't clear the large center piece behind the axle and the pipes dont clear the bracing (there are aftermarket braces to aleviate this now, but still doesn't help the muffler size/positioning...)
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
About a month ago I had the Magnaflow Axle Back Muffler's installed on my SS Convertible and I had the resonator removed from the exhaust system as well. I got a loud enough exhaust sound that my V8 engine is audible but not so loud as to make me deaf with the top down!
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #33
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnfalguy View Post
About a month ago I had the Magnaflow Axle Back Muffler's installed on my SS Convertible and I had the resonator removed from the exhaust system as well. I got a loud enough exhaust sound that my V8 engine is audible but not so loud as to make me deaf with the top down!
Magnaflow has a nice sound.... my second choice after Flow master failed. I went with the cat-back comp, which replaced the resonater with an x pipe...probably coulda saved a bit by doing the axle back and x pipe as opposed to the whole thing, since the piping the same size anyway... oh well. It does have a nice low rumble to it

If youbever decide to ramp it up a bit and add headders- you're gonna end up with a completely different animal! I expected an even fully, deeper sound...nope- I got a higher pitched throaty scream! Not the ominous tone I wanted, more of an "in your face" sound....growin used to it...
Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #34
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I hadn't thought about putting an "X-Pipe" on previously since the removal of the resonator was done hastily. Long story short, when my Magnaflow Axle Back Mufflers were put on my car was actually quieter than the original OEM exhaust. When I complained about the complete lack of sound from my exaust the resonator was removed promptly to give me the sound that I was looking for.
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #35
mja-PSU

Yeah, I saw posts from last summer about folks asking for the 3" cat-back from Flowmaster. Hadn't seen anything lately, so I emailed them. Here was the response I got:

Hello and thanks for your interest in our products.

At this time we only make the Force II catback system (part# 817528) for the 2011 Chevy Camaro Convertible. At this time there is no plan to make a American Thunder kit for this application, unfortunately we are unable to custom fabricate anything either. Keep in mind that ever our Force II kits are still going to be more aggressive than stock minus the interior resonance or drone. This is especially important with convertibles when driving with the top and windows up, as the exhaust note is a lot more noticeable. Enabling you to hear your radio and carry on a conversation with the passengers. Most importantly the performance gains, this system has been designed to further increase horsepower, torque and potential fuel economy.

I specifically asked if they had a cat-back with a "very aggressive" sound. With 450HP already under the hood, I'm certainly not looking to spend close to $1k for the extra 10-20hp and the ability to carry a conversation...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #36
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Yeah, I saw posts from last summer about folks asking for the 3" cat-back from Flowmaster. Hadn't seen anything lately, so I emailed them. Here was the response I got:

Hello and thanks for your interest in our products.

At this time we only make the Force II catback system (part# 817528) for the 2011 Chevy Camaro Convertible. At this time there is no plan to make a American Thunder kit for this application, unfortunately we are unable to custom fabricate anything either. Keep in mind that ever our Force II kits are still going to be more aggressive than stock minus the interior resonance or drone. This is especially important with convertibles when driving with the top and windows up, as the exhaust note is a lot more noticeable. Enabling you to hear your radio and carry on a conversation with the passengers. Most importantly the performance gains, this system has been designed to further increase horsepower, torque and potential fuel economy.

I specifically asked if they had a cat-back with a "very aggressive" sound. With 450HP already under the hood, I'm certainly not looking to spend close to $1k for the extra 10-20hp and the ability to carry a conversation...
FWIW, drone wasn't an issue whatsoever with my Magnaflow cat-back, however once I went with headders- it was a different story. I'm all for loud exhaust, but my drone is AWFUL!!!! It litterally gives me a headache... I'm learning to drive around it... but its something to concider!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #37
mja-PSU

Thanks for the feedback, Drago. I've always been a fan of Flowmaster- put the American Thunder cat-back on my '94 Camaro convertible, and was happy with it. I'm just surprised they don't even offer a 2.5" cat-back for anything other than the Force II.

I suppose I could consider just going with the Outlaw axle-back if no 3" system will fit. But I also wanted a cat-back so I wouldn't have to cut the pipes, should I ever want to restore the car to exactly the way it came from the factory someday.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #38
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Drago. I've always been a fan of Flowmaster- put the American Thunder cat-back on my '94 Camaro convertible, and was happy with it. I'm just surprised they don't even offer a 2.5" cat-back for anything other than the Force II.

I suppose I could consider just going with the Outlaw axle-back if no 3" system will fit. But I also wanted a cat-back so I wouldn't have to cut the pipes, should I ever want to restore the car to exactly the way it came from the factory someday.
There are 3" systems that fit... Sux has one, Solo Works also makes one... I believe they all require the modified tunnel brace though.

I was dead set on a 3" when i first started my car; but was talked out of it as the expense of fabrication far outweighed my power goals. Unless you're looking to add serious additional HP; a 3" is probably overkill.

SUX2BU has a 3" system, and while he's by far a better "racer" than I am, my cars sheer HP #s are higher with a 2.5"... each car/dyno is different; but my point being- unless you're building an HP monster; go with what you like first
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #39
mja-PSU

Thanks again, Drago. I'm perfectly good with the HP I have :-). I know that the muffler style is what drives the sound of the exhaust, but I was always under the impression that larger pipes are going to give a deeper tone, all else being equal.

Well, I'm sure I'll come up with a good compromise, just disappointed that Flowmaster isn't making a cat-back for the convertible that produces an aggressive sound.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #40
mja-PSU

Well, I went with the Outlaw axle-back. I'm happy with the aggressive sound. However, the popping when decelerating is out of control! I'll have to try to check out whether that can be alleviated somehow...
Old 05-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #41
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Well, I went with the Outlaw axle-back. I'm happy with the aggressive sound. However, the popping when decelerating is out of control! I'll have to try to check out whether that can be alleviated somehow...
That can become an aquired taste... I was concerned and/or annoyed with mine at first, now I LOVE it! Sound slike a shotgun blast with the long tubes, lol! I've done some research in the past about whether its a concern or not, and supposedly its harmless, never did hear a way to tame it without modifying or outright changing the system
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #42
Sam I Am

Drives: 2011 Victory Red CV
I had axle back flowmasters put on last month in South Montgomery County just north of Houston by Ripley''s. The straight rear muffler/resonator was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too loud and they swapped them out for oval mufflers. V6 now sounds similar to my old Vette and less like an Accord.
Here is a link to their site with some videos.
Good luck but be careful what you wish for!

http://www.ripleysmufflerandbrakes.c...ake-videos.htm
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote