Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #15
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Keep trying, that problem sounds like its going to get worse.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
It might be worth the drive to another dealer.
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Sadly, it can't be fixed at any dealership unless they hear/see the problem.
No dealership will do "unecessary" warranty work. It sucks, but you need to find a way to prove it to them.
Like someone else said, it's a problem that might get worse if you don't get it taken care of.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Like someone else said, it's a problem that might get worse if you don't get it taken care of.
Brainstorming.....

My parents had a transmission issue....and this was the same story -- they couldn't replicate it at the dealer. But the service guy told us something that was kinda interesting if not a little sketchy:

"I can't do the repair if I don't know what's wrong...and you were here with me, what you're describing didn't happen. But if there IS a problem...and it's in the transmission like you think, it's probably going to get worse. You've got 100,000 mile warranty on that part, so when it does start happening predictably, bring it in and we'll get it taken care of asap."

Maybe this is a piece of advice worth listening to here?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #19
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Brainstorming.....

My parents had a transmission issue....and this was the same story -- they couldn't replicate it at the dealer. But the service guy told us something that was kinda interesting if not a little sketchy:

"I can't do the repair if I don't know what's wrong...and you were here with me, what you're describing didn't happen. But if there IS a problem...and it's in the transmission like you think, it's probably going to get worse. You've got 100,000 mile warranty on that part, so when it does start happening predictably, bring it in and we'll get it taken care of asap."

I agree. But he wants to do some mods. Even with the simplest exhaust mod, the dealer can decide to void the warranty and not take care of it.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I agree. But he wants to do some mods. Even with the simplest exhaust mod, the dealer can decide to void the warranty and not take care of it.
True. I had forgotten about that.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

Still random?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
coolman

I know you won't want to hear this ,but I had a problem with a truck one time that was kind of like what your talking about. I left them have and told them to drive it and don't give it back until they hear it. It took the tech two days of driving to work to find that the motor had a piston problem.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 AM   #23
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I know you won't want to hear this ,but I had a problem with a truck one time that was kind of like what your talking about. I left them have and told them to drive it and don't give it back until they hear it. It took the tech two days of driving to work to find that the motor had a piston problem.
If that's the problem then it still needs to be taken care of... I just hope they handle it soon, and I still feel the video ought to be enough to warrant starting work on this... :/

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Can you just leave it with the dealer for a period of time and ask them to start it every day until it makes the noise? I don't think the lifter problem is going to get any worse and believe it is really more of an annoyance, but one that I too would dilligently pursue getting fixed. The lifters sound like they're bleeding down and eventually pump back up and the noise goes away. I'd wait on any mods until you get this fixed.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #25
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
In my case, it happens no more than once every two weeks. That's about once every 30 cold starts!

So, I'm just putting my trust in the 100,000 mi. warranty and ignoring it for now.

Last edited by Rock-It Man; 01-07-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Brainstorming.....

This is definitely worth listening to. The warranty is years and miles long for a reason. I know in some cases people want their issue fixed right away. But if it is intermittent and not consistent it certainly makes it difficult to diagnose. Giving it time to either become consistent or worse isn't always a bad thing, even though I know the waiting is tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
I've been trying to get my L99 (7200 on the clock) in for new lifters via TSB for some time, but the audible tapping of the lifters on startup is inconsistent and never happens when I'm at the dealer.

Since the tech hasn't personally heard the tap, they haven't been able to do the repairs. I shot a video on my phone of the noise and showed them, but the dealer insists that the tech must hear it occur IN PERSON. I'm ready to move ahead with some simple bolt-ons (and getting kind of antsy to be honest) and would like to get this taken care of before I apply any mods that could potentially void my warranty and make it impossible to have this fixed.

Here's the video. The issue is obviously present, I'm not making this up. The sound (when it happens) as shown in the video is fairly pronounced, and I feel like this ought to be proof enough for them to move ahead with the work. Am I expecting too much here?
I would give it a little more time. Ask the dealer to let you leave the car overnight and then be there in the morning when they start the car up. You could also try another dealer, but my guess is if they can't hear the problem then you will be faced with the same issue.

Having said that, you can try to play a card at the dealer. You can tell them that you are unhappy with the way this issue is being addressed and you are calling GM customer service and having the issue escalated. They might get pissy that you are doing that or they might say, ok we will fix it. Might be worth a shot.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #27
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Lifter issue............I think the noise is coupled with excessive oil burning, evidenced by excessive amount of white smoke from the tailpipes.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #28
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Lifter issue............I think the noise is coupled with excessive oil burning, evidenced by excessive amount of white smoke from the tailpipes.
No smoke whatsoever...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote