Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Jelly Bean Issues with Bluetooth, Phonebook & Call History in 2010-2013 GM Vehicles

Hi All,

This is for people who have an Android device that was recently upgraded to Jelly Bean. My car was at the GM dealership for over a week determining what the issue was. I have an open case with GM Infotainment, and also one with Motorola 3rd Tier support.

Symptoms:

Phone pairs with vehicle, but no phonebook/contacts or call history is pulled from the phone even after a Pbap Request, new from Jelly Bean from the car. This does not include the 2013 GM Vehicles with MyLink as it works fine on those as they have the newest and greatest OnStar modules and of course MyLink.

Another issue is when making a Bluetooth call using the steering wheel controls results in calls not being made, but if call is initiated from the cell phone Bluetooth then works and you can use hands free. If you are able to use steering wheel controls, Voice commands, and dial any number on the Verizon network you might get a double ring, and feedback where you can’t hear the called person and they can’t hear you. Any other number will work correctly.

When the phone was updated with Jelly Bean your phone received new Bluetooth profiles, per Motorola, and unfortunately GM/OnStar has not updated the OnStar module with the newest Bluetooth profiles and made the Bluetooth profiles incompatible. I was told GM/OnStar know about the issues, but there is no date as to when this will be fixed.

Solution or Work around for no phone book or call history from Motorola 3rd Tier Support:

If Contacts/People are backed up using Verizon backup Assistant or another program from your phone export all contacts using the following method.

Open People, Select Menu, and select Import/Export from the Menu.

Select “Export To Storage”, and Select Yes to Export. This assumes you have an SD Card installed.

Open People, select Menu if People is not already open. Select Settings, and select Contact Storage, and make sure Create Contact Under Account is set to Google, and also check Remember this choice, and select OK.

Open People, select Menu if People is not already open. Select Contacts to Display. Select Google with the Google e-mail account you created when you setup your phone.

When you open up People now it should be blank. Select Menu, and select Import/Export. Select Import from Storage, and it Imports the People you Exported above into Gmail.

All Contacts should now be saved under Gmail Google account. Verify a few of them to see.

Go to your GM vehicle and delete the paired phone, and then un-pair your Vehicle from your phone. Start a new pairing session. Once paired you will be prompted by a Pbap Request from your vehicle for access to your phonebook and call history. Indicate OK, but DO NOT Remember at this time. You should receive 2-3 more Pbap requests for access from your vehicle, indicate OK, but DO NOT Remember at this time. After the third Pbap request select Remember, and OK.

After a few minutes you should see the Phone Book and Call History displayed on your radio when you push the Radio button twice.

If not shut off your car, pull out the keys and open the door. This simulates a flush for the car’s Bluetooth per Motorola. After 2 minutes with the door open insert the keys and turn on the vehicle. The phone should establish Bluetooth connectivity and after a minute or two you should see your phonebook and call history. If not follow the directions for un-pairing and then pairing with the Pbap requests.

Anyway I hope this helps or at least give you some understanding of WTF went wrong as I spent over 3 weeks diagnosing this with various tech support personnel.

Good Luck,

GearHeadPeter
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014 Black M6
Great thread! (unfortunately).

I've been wondering why my Android phone would not work with my just recently bought Camaro 2012.

Please let us all know when you have a solution to this. I am eager to use the Bluetooth functionality with my car/phone setup.

Thanks!
nickswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickswe View Post
Great thread! (unfortunately).

I've been wondering why my Android phone would not work with my just recently bought Camaro 2012.

Please let us all know when you have a solution to this. I am eager to use the Bluetooth functionality with my car/phone setup.

Thanks!
I will let everyone know as soon as I hear.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
porkrind
Unapologetically American

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Subscribed and posted on an android site I use. Interesting find.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkrind View Post
Subscribed and posted on an android site I use. Interesting find.
Is this the post on the Android site?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sea...archid=2923562

That was mine also as I am trying to educate as many as possible so if enough peeps complain, maybe, just maybe GM/OnStar will do something about it.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Good to know, I'll keep it in mind in case troubles. I have a 2011, Verizon and a jelly bean upgrade to my Motorola Razr Maxx with no issues.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Good to know, I'll keep it in mind in case troubles. I have a 2011, Verizon and a jelly bean upgrade to my Motorola Razr Maxx with no issues.
Has your contacts always been with Google? My Contacts at first were being backed up with Verizon's Backup Assistant, and when I got Jelly Bean that is when I had all the issues.

Once I moved all the Contacts to Gmail it worked.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
ckaram

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Has your contacts always been with Google? My Contacts at first were being backed up with Verizon's Backup Assistant, and when I got Jelly Bean that is when I had all the issues.

Once I moved all the Contacts to Gmail it worked.
Yes I had my contacts in Google before Verizon's backup assistant. Maybe that's it.

Unrelated, but post a pic of your 'stang!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Yes I had my contacts in Google before Verizon's backup assistant. Maybe that's it.

Unrelated, but post a pic of your 'stang!
Here are a few pics of the Mustang. I would really like to build a 69 Camaro. Just trying to figure out how to finance it. LOL
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
ckaram

Awesome car! Big fan of fastback Mustangs! Damn! Is it a 4-speed or automatic? Pony interior?

Beautiful.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Awesome car! Big fan of fastback Mustangs! Damn! Is it a 4-speed or automatic? Pony interior?

Beautiful.
4-speed Custom built TopLoader, and yes it has Pony interior, but it also has a custom TMI Pony Sport R Seats for front and rear. Recently had a
Total Control Products (TCP) Power rack and pinion steering system put in.

Going to be taking out the Toploader and putting in a 5 speed this summer. Know anyone that needs a custom Wide Ratio Toploader with custom built Hurst Shifter? The Hurst shifter has Super Shifter 3 rod buttons on the control box end and has the same type retainer on the rod end, which takes 95% of the friction out of the connections.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Subscribed. Any updates from GM?

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Not yet. I'm taking the car in for an oil change in two weeks, right before the 3/36K warranty runs out and hopefully there will be an update. If there is or not I will post it here.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Peter: Just checking back in. Any news to report?

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote