Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Camaro Gas.

My friend keeps trying to rub in my face about gas prices, and laughs at me in his 2001 ford ranger, because the gas he buys is from H.E.B or Kroger i cant tell, and the prices he showed me were 2.59$ Gal, 2.79$ Gal.. etc

These low prices, i buy my gas at Shell and premium is running me at 4.11$ Gal for my V6 but i stopped purchasing it since the gas is going through the roof, i am just putting reg shell gas running me at around 3.86$ Gal now or so... Question is if Kroger HeB, Wallmart has cheap gas prices does that mean also their gas is crap too? if not should i be buying from them? And yes i shop a lot from Kroger mainly sometime HEB, never Menopoly mart.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Its all the same...ever seen a loading dock for gas trucks?...They are from every gas company out there...as long as the fuel meets their "specs"...they get it from anywhere...One small tip, high volume gas stations usually have the freshest gas..(no moisture or vapor loss)...In my opinion, there is no such thing as the "bottom of the barrel" gasoline.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Have you heard the saying you are what you eat? Same concept for you car, put in crappy gas get crappy performance.

Your friend drives a Ranger? That is not a sports car or even a high performance vehicle. It's a small not even full size pick up truck. Not even an apple to apple comparison. Let your friend talk all his sh*t, who cares? You drive a Camaro the best car ever!!!!
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
I tend to notice that Shell is the most expensive gas on the road. Not sure if I can justify going to them when another gas station is close. Also, no need to spend the extra money on the premium; V6s don't need that. I don't think there is much of a difference in the quality of gas between stations. What's more important is the maintenance of the car, like oil changes, I believe.
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Premium in a V6 is just wasting money. You won't get anything extra out of it other than a bigger hole in your wallet.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
He probably gets a discount on the gas for buying his groceries from Kroger.

There is a Shnucks grocery store here that gives you some amount off of the price of gas for every $X you spend on groceries.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Dylan88
UCF Knights

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Premium for a V6? Ouch. I know I'm just a poor college kid, but I wouldn't go above regular unleaded unless I was going to the track or something.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
Premium in a V6 is just wasting money. You won't get anything extra out of it other than a bigger hole in your wallet.
People think putting premium (92+ octane) in their V6 vehicle is going to make it run faster or get better mileage. Check your owners manual if in question. Only the V8 equiped Camaros require premium grade gasoline.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
People think putting premium (92+ octane) in their V6 vehicle is going to make it run faster or get better mileage. Check your owners manual if in question. Only the V8 equiped Camaros require premium grade gasoline.

Well this is funny, when i did ran premium gas on my car, it tends to last longer, weeks upon weeks, now i put in reg gas and its at half a tank in 4 - 5 days now... no change in driving, in fact i drive a bit rougher when i had premium, but who knows once gas is cheaper again im going for premium.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Premium is better refined, it burns quicker and cleaner.....hence, you get better mileage. I live just down the street from the Buckeye terminal in Clermont, IN.........the trucks drive in, the truck drive out....their destination may be a shell or a kroger. There are additives that may be added to improve certain element of the fuel that may be required by different vendors (like shell or marathon, etc), but it all comes from the same pipes.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Premium is better refined, it burns quicker and cleaner.....hence, you get better mileage. I live just down the street from the Buckeye terminal in Clermont, IN.........the trucks drive in, the truck drive out....their destination may be a shell or a kroger. There are additives that may be added to improve certain element of the fuel that may be required by different vendors (like shell or marathon, etc), but it all comes from the same pipes.

So your saying kroger or shell it all is the same? Cause you know you see those adds at shell stations what the push rods look like with shell gas and what they look like with other gas they infuse it with nitrogen or w/e
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #12
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Well this is funny, when i did ran premium gas on my car, it tends to last longer, weeks upon weeks, now i put in reg gas and its at half a tank in 4 - 5 days now... no change in driving, in fact i drive a bit rougher when i had premium, but who knows once gas is cheaper again im going for premium.
Virtually nothing is gained by using a premium or more expensive grade of gasoline than the vehicle manufacturer recommends. Octane is defined as a fuel's resistance to knocking. There is no benefit if the octane is higher than what the engine needs.

Premium gas yields higher fuel economy only if the engine in your car requires premium gasoline. If an engine is designed for premium gas (90 octane or higher), using a lower-octane fuel will cause the engine's computer to adjust ignition timing to compensate, resulting in less power and lower fuel economy. However, if premium gas is recommended for your engine, then you may not notice any loss in fuel economy or only a small amount.

There are some who claim their engines run better on premium, but that is probably part placebo effect and partly to justify spending 20 cents or more per gallon. The American Petroleum Institute says "any fuel economy gains will be difficult to detect in daily driving."

You should use the type of gasoline that the manufacturer recommends for your engine. Anything more is just a waste of money.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Drives: 2012 Chevy Silverado ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
So your saying kroger or shell it all is the same? Cause you know you see those adds at shell stations what the push rods look like with shell gas and what they look like with other gas they infuse it with nitrogen or w/e
It comes out of the pipe all the same, but they all get a specialized additive put in when filling the truck. Shell, Mobil, Marathon, etc. So it is definitely not the same when you buy at Kroger vs. Shell. Most of the cheap gas is nearly un-additized.

Last edited by velociSSimo; 03-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.
velociSSimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Just FYI, it's been shown in many other threads that the LLT pulls a lot of timing when running regular gas. The way the engine works is different, so the premium-won't-do-anything argument is not really valid. Don't expect huge gains or anything, but all that timing doesn't get pulled when running higher octane, and many drivers say the car performs better/smoother/etc.

Is it worth the extra price? That's up to you. OP, have you noticed a change in the car since switching back to regular?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote