Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
StevenMarrocco

Drives: INFERNO ORANGE Camaro, 2LT RS.
Turbo or engine swap?

Hey everyone, Im new to cars, and just picked up my camaro 2lt rs a few weeks ago! I'm trying to educate myself and i was just wondering what would be best (in price and performace) to do, either buy a turbo kit in a few years or get a crate v8 engine from gm?

thanks for reading! sorry if this sounds super rookie
StevenMarrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
performance wise i think the v8 but price turbo or sc by a long shot, and im not sure but i think someone said something about the v8 not just bolting in, you had to change a ton of stuff to get it to fit
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
performance wise i think the v8 but price turbo or sc by a long shot, and im not sure but i think someone said something about the v8 not just bolting in, you had to change a ton of stuff to get it to fit
its a lot of hassle to swap it over. you are better off trading in the v6 in on a v8.

besides the engine and transmission parts to swap, suspension, brakes, computer, etc all have to be swapped over. and at the end of the day, the time and money invested in it could be much more wisely spent on just trading for a V8.

now, if you want to keep the v6 and mod it, there's plenty of options available.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Depends on what you're swapping to. Eventually I am looking at stripping it and my cheap LS will get a 496 or larger along with a built t56 6 speed. The IRS will be looked at and possibly get changed to a solid axle set-up.. The brakes will stay as is because they are a good set-up and don't let them tell you different, otherwise why would some of the SS guys be willing to swap so they can get different wheels. I will deal with certain things as time gets closer(such as dash/computer/carbed or injected), but I will not do anything while I have a powertrain warranty.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMarrocco View Post
Hey everyone, Im new to cars, and just picked up my camaro 2lt rs a few weeks ago! I'm trying to educate myself and i was just wondering what would be best (in price and performace) to do, either buy a turbo kit in a few years or get a crate v8 engine from gm?

thanks for reading! sorry if this sounds super rookie
LS9
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its a lot of hassle to swap it over. you are better off trading in the v6 in on a v8.

besides the engine and transmission parts to swap, suspension, brakes, computer, etc all have to be swapped over. and at the end of the day, the time and money invested in it could be much more wisely spent on just trading for a V8.

now, if you want to keep the v6 and mod it, there's plenty of options available.
talking about boost for a V6? There are currently not a lot of options:(
Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
LSX 376 or another turnkey engine drop. Depends on how much these turbos/sc are going to cost us when they finally come out.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Depends on what you're swapping to. Eventually I am looking at stripping it and my cheap LS will get a 496 or larger along with a built t56 6 speed. The IRS will be looked at and possibly get changed to a solid axle set-up.. The brakes will stay as is because they are a good set-up and don't let them tell you different, otherwise why would some of the SS guys be willing to swap so they can get different wheels. I will deal with certain things as time gets closer(such as dash/computer/carbed or injected), but I will not do anything while I have a powertrain warranty.
the main good thing about them is that they are smaller than the SS brakes so that people can run smaller wheels with bigger tires.

they do a good job tho. I'm liking the CTS-V front brake swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
talking about boost for a V6? There are currently not a lot of options:(

there are plenty of turbo and nitrous kits out for the v6. superchargers on the other hand... vortech, procharger are out, the top mounted (twin screw and roots) are still in work unfortunately.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
the main good thing about them is that they are smaller than the SS brakes so that people can run smaller wheels with bigger tires.

they do a good job tho.
Exactly. We all aren't looking to roadcourse our cars so we all don't want/need Brembos. I don't want the monster wheels and my LS brakes work fine/better than most I've had in the past.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Quote:
there are plenty of turbo and nitrous kits out for the v6. superchargers on the other hand... vortech, procharger are out, the top mounted (twin screw and roots) are still in work unfortunately.
am i reading this wrong or are you saying there are turbo kits and superchargers available for the v6? there are neither available.
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Cool! Where do I order my Turbo?
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
longgun
Drummer

Drives: Black Camaro
Quote:

they do a good job tho. I'm liking the CTS-V front brake swap

Who is making a turbo and where can I find one? I have been looking and havent found anyone selling one yet.
longgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
gameovergt
G@M30v3RgT

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 DIB
Will be doing an LSX carb'd engine in the future
Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
WayneBrady
Super Mario Racing

Drives: 2013 Ashen Grey 2SS/RS M6
estimated what is the cost of v6 to v8 engine swap? Technically if you can do that switch, then you don't technically need an SS to tune the car up....plus insurance staays low because the car is not an ss v8 model...