Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
SS is coming next week, this is my plan for it, feedback appreciated

I'll be picking up my SIM 2SS this coming week and have a clear bra I'll be installing myself and these are the steps I am planning on doing once the car is home. I am going to be using Meguiar's products because I have seen good feedback here and other places and my local auto shop stocks their full line so I have easy access to product. The important part for me is ensuring all the surfaces the clear bra is going to be applied to are properly cleaned, leaving nothing behind but the clear coat to adhere to.

1. Wash the car with a mild dish detergent to get it down to the clear coat (told the dealer not to wash/wax it but I think they'll be doing it anyway)

2. Clay Bar the whole car with Meguiar's Clay Kit

3. Wash the car once again with a mild dish detergent (the second and last time dish detergent will ever see the car).

4. Apply the clear bra, I have coverage for the front 18 inches of the hood, fenders, upper and lower bumper, mirror back, and am considering the front section of roof, a pillars, and rocker/door area.

5. After the clear bra is installed I'll let it sit for a day or two in the garage and wax the whole car with Meguiar's NXT 2.0

That is my plan and any feedback on it would be appreciated and I have two other questions as well;

1. When I go to wax the car does it make sense to wax the clear bra as well, I am assuming yes because from what I have read you treat it like you do the rest of the car when it comes to washing and waxing.

2. Any suggestions on what to hit the inside surfaces of the vehicle with for its first detail (not sure what the dealer is going to attempt to do yet for the inside).

Thanks in advance....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
I heard washing with dish detergent was bad...but u may kno sumthin they dnt...meguiars is really good, i use all their imterior/exterior products on my parents traverse and will continue on my camaro wen i get it...if u wanna have it lookin real fresh before u put the clear bra on, id wash(deep crystal), clay, wash again, use the paintcleaner, then the deep crystal polish, then the wax...thats how i do my parents car, takes time but the results r great...nd then they go and mess it up two seconds later :( but its practice for my car...just my two cents, if u been doin it ur way, stick to it

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
robertway

Thanks for the feedback, I know the dish soap is bad if used over and over as it pretty much strips the car down to the clear coat but that is what I am looking for before the film installation, I don't want any residual product from other soaps or waxes on the surface when I go to apply the film. At least that is what I have gathered as a good method here and on other forums. After the film goes on I will follow something similar to what you suggest and never use dish soap again.

Thanks again....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
shad2009
"Cassie"

Oh ok, well gud luck

Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Really there is no need to strip the wax before applying the clear bra. I used to do that but have found it really doesnt make a difference on the install. I do recommend clay barring the car first then wiping the surface down well with and alchohol and water mix. Then you are good to go. Once the film is on give it a few days to cure out before applying any sealants on it.

Good luck with the install. I really do not recommend anyone doing this because if you mess up a piece of film (which is very easy to do) then you are out that money... plus you have to get a replacement. Just be patient, take your time and dont over work the film.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Really there is no need to strip the wax before applying the clear bra. I used to do that but have found it really doesnt make a difference on the install. I do recommend clay barring the car first then wiping the surface down well with and alchohol and water mix. Then you are good to go. Once the film is on give it a few days to cure out before applying any sealants on it.

Good luck with the install. I really do not recommend anyone doing this because if you mess up a piece of film (which is very easy to do) then you are out that money... plus you have to get a replacement. Just be patient, take your time and dont over work the film.
Thanks Thom, I know you don't recommend the DIY route but I have a ton of patience and me getting to a local shop is almost impossible with my work schedule. The nearest shop is about 30 minutes away, called them twice and left messages and they never got back to me so that said enough to me to look elsewhere and just decide to do it myself understanding the risk for a DIY'er

Old 11-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Sounds like you have a good plan. I've used the Mequiar's NXT and it does a great job. Now that I've tried Zaino on the Camaro though, the NXT will get used up on my daily driver...LOL!!!
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
shad2009
"Cassie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatlover13 View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan. I've used the Mequiar's NXT and it does a great job. Now that I've tried Zaino on the Camaro though, the NXT will get used up on my daily driver...LOL!!!
zaino is really that much better?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
zaino is really that much better?
Yes it is an exceptional product. Everyone I have directed to Zaino has become a believer. It is also very easy to apply/wipe off and one order of the polish will last you for years. Like I posted earlier it is very good for paint protection film as well... so it saves you from having to buy another product for your clear bra.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote