Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-31-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
Question How soon after lowering should you get the allignment done?

I'm planning on taking my 2011 SS to a performance shop (SWR Motorsports) tomorrow morning to get an Eibach Pro Kit installed for a 1" drop and the guy I talked to today recommended that I don't get an alignment done right away. Is that true? If so, how many miles should I wait? I think he recommended a couple thousand miles?

That sounded like a lot to me. I'm only doing street driving by the way, and not too aggressively either, this is mainly for looks only but will take any 'bonus' performance enhancements I get from these springs.

Thanks in advance for your feedback / advice.
Duper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
right away to ensure tire life, recheck it after 3 to 5k since the springs may settle, eibach's are know for quite a bit. i would measure ride hieght to keep track and then have your alignment checked once a year.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
Duper

My neighbor owns a tire shop and does alignments... he hooks me up with a good discount, so I don't mind doing it twice. I just don't want to be throwing my money away if it's not recommended to be done until the springs settle. I'm sure there's a balance there. I only put 500 mi or so a month on my car since it's not a daily driver for me.

Edit: Thanks for your feedback btw!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
Mine was done the same day the install of my Pedders Track II and was redone (for free) after 5 months (3K miles). And the install was done by Haddad Motorsports in Inglewood.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
You need an alignment ASAP once the parts are changed out, driving your car will damage your tires, the more you drive the more you damage them.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Don't forget the most important step in lowering your 5th Gen Camaro -- Time the Rotational Bushes to the New Ride Height. This is Mission Critical and SOP at Pedders, but frequently overlooked by many. This should be done immediately after the coil installation and then as Rob indicated immediately align you newly lowered car with the bushes correctly timed.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Does this apply for coil overs as well? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
yes
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
ok well i had my scion taken in and had a whole new set of socks,struts and springs put in at a performance shop, i was told to drive a week on my new set up to break them in and let them settle.

i followed there directions and my tires and wheels and alignment seem to be fine. it kind of does make sense to wait and let the new springs settle.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Duper

I've spent more time on the forums lately and I'm really impressed with the folks from Pedders commitment to helping folks out regardless of their product choice. I'll definitely be looking your way in the future. I already purchased the Eibach kit so I'm going to follow through with that, but thanks for all the help.

And for others who may be reading this thread who don't know what 'time the rotational bushings to the new height' means (and to confirm for myself), you mean this, correct:

"Take your car to the alignment shop. Have the tech loosen every rotational bolt / bush in the suspension. Drive the car SLOWLY and CAREFULLY around the lot with the bolts a couple of turns loose. Put it back on the alignment lift. Without taking any weight off the wheels, tighten all the bolts. All the bushes are now timed to your new lowered ride height."

Can the guys who install my springs do this or should I have it done at the alignment shop? I won't be able to get it aligned until Monday btw.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post
I've spent more time on the forums lately and I'm really impressed with the folks from Pedders commitment to helping folks out regardless of their product choice. I'll definitely be looking your way in the future. I already purchased the Eibach kit so I'm going to follow through with that, but thanks for all the help.

And for others who may be reading this thread who don't know what 'time the rotational bushings to the new height' means (and to confirm for myself), you mean this, correct:

"Take your car to the alignment shop. Have the tech loosen every rotational bolt / bush in the suspension. Drive the car SLOWLY and CAREFULLY around the lot with the bolts a couple of turns loose. Put it back on the alignment lift. Without taking any weight off the wheels, tighten all the bolts. All the bushes are now timed to your new lowered ride height."

Can the guys who install my springs do this or should I have it done at the alignment shop? I won't be able to get it aligned until Monday btw.
You are spot on. If your spring intaller has a rail light the answer is yes. If not, have it done on the alignment rack.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
ok well i had my scion taken in and had a whole new set of socks,struts and springs put in at a performance shop, i was told to drive a week on my new set up to break them in and let them settle.

i followed there directions and my tires and wheels and alignment seem to be fine. it kind of does make sense to wait and let the new springs settle.
Pedders coils are fully scragged to permanently set the ride height.

There is no need to let them settle. Let them settle in my mind is not the right way to do the job. I am not familiar with the geometry of your Scion. My guess is there are far fewer rotational bushes than found in the IRS Camaro. Your car would still benefit from correctly timing the bushes as this step prevent premature wear and failure of the OEM rubber bushes.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
great video. actually interesting.

well as for bushes i am lost on what you guys are talking about. to be frank this is all new info for me. also that is a good thing, cause not all shops will tell you this. what do you mean by premature wear and failer? how do you notice it. reason i ask is cause i have had my car for almost 6 years and it lowered on springs and then a whole new set of coils and everything. sooo wondering where and how i would notice if my bushes were bad or getting there.

thank you for the help and sorry for kind of thread jacking. just brought up something new to me
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
great video. actually interesting.

well as for bushes i am lost on what you guys are talking about. to be frank this is all new info for me. also that is a good thing, cause not all shops will tell you this. what do you mean by premature wear and failer? how do you notice it. reason i ask is cause i have had my car for almost 6 years and it lowered on springs and then a whole new set of coils and everything. sooo wondering where and how i would notice if my bushes were bad or getting there.

thank you for the help and sorry for kind of thread jacking. just brought up something new to me
The rubber bushes pressed into your control arms do not rotate. The steel ferules inside the rubber bushes are bonded to the rubber. When the suspension articulates, the ferule twists in the rubber. When the arms were installed at the factory they were timed to the OE ride height. That means they are at rest at OE height with the car sitting still. When you lowered your car the bush at rest wants to swing the arm down to get back to the OE height. It is loaded standing still. The preload is what causes excess wear. To inspect your bushes all you need is a flashlight. Inspect them for cracks that go beyond the surface which is normal and tears. On a lift you can sometimes see the tears more easily because the wheels and arms move to full droop. Tears become obvious under these conditions. When you apply the brakes if you feel a pull it can be caused by many things. Most techs will start with a brake inspection. That is not a bad idea, but also checking for torn bushes would make it a better idea. Bush inspection is not limited to lowered cars. All cars should be inspected this way at least once a year.