Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #71
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
We're here for ya! Just give me a call or send me a PM, I can get you hooked up with the right stuff to get a handle on that wheel hop. Or give Chase a call, he knows his stuff!!!

Thanks for the kind words Chase!!! We appreciate having you as one of our best vendors.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #72
steven623

Drives: 1le
Please let me know what I need to cure wheel hop with part# please and how much thank you.
steven623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #73
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven623 View Post
Please let me know what I need to cure wheel hop with part# please and how much thank you.
The answer to that depends on the answer to a few questions. The most critical being, how much power are you making now and how much do you ultimately anticipate making in the future?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #74
Apex Motorsports

And lets not forgot that the upgrades just looks bad ass too.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #75
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I got my car currently having all the parts I ordered from apex installed as we speak. (Rear Trailing Arms/Polyurethane Bushings, Rear Toe Rods/Polyurethane Bushings/Rear Suspension Bushing Kit/Rear Cradle Full Bushing Pro Version)

Hoping to see a big difference! Can't wait to get my baby back later this afternoon.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #76
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan325 View Post
I got my car currently having all the parts I ordered from apex installed as we speak. (Rear Trailing Arms/Polyurethane Bushings, Rear Toe Rods/Polyurethane Bushings/Rear Suspension Bushing Kit/Rear Cradle Full Bushing Pro Version)

Hoping to see a big difference! Can't wait to get my baby back later this afternoon.
Congratulations!!! It will make a huge difference!!! I didn't see any sway bars in there????
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #77
Apex Motorsports

Quote:

Oh, you will. Thank you for your order and be sure to let us know what you think.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #78
NYYFan325

Sway bar is on the list too, I'm really just trying to squish wheel hop before I start adding more power. Thanks for all your help Chase (and Victoria too, I think that was here name?) Very helpful and easy buying experience.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #79
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Sway bar is on the list too, I'm really just trying to squish wheel hop before I start adding more power. Thanks for all your help Chase (and Victoria too, I think that was here name?) Very helpful and easy buying experience.
Sway bars alone help these cars a lot. You are very welcome and I will pass that along to Victoria as well.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #80
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Very informative thread, I learned a lot! Thanks!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #81
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMOKINHOT View Post
Very informative thread, I learned a lot! Thanks!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #82
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
I am a newbie please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Curing 5th Gen Camaro Wheel Hop

All the horsepower in the world will not make your car faster if it can not transfer that power to the pavement. 5th generation Camaro owners, especially those with cars that are extensively modified, are quickly learning this due to the dreaded “wheel hop”. Wheel hop is a violent and potentially damaging condition that typically occurs when the car is launched aggressively and feels like the rear tires were replaced with jack hammers. Very simply, it is just a rapid and repeated loss and recovery of traction.

When your car begins to accelerate various bushings and suspension/chassis components flex. Under normal driving conditions this flexing is negligible but when the car is launched aggressively the deflection causes significant toe changes which reduce the contact patch of the rear tires. This leads to a reduction in traction and momentary wheel slippage which alleviates the toe changes and allows the rear tires to regrip. The vicious circle then continues as the suddenly improved traction again results in flexing thus causing toe changes and leading to wheel slippage.

The Fix

Getting rid of wheel hop is pretty straightforward for most Camaro owners. By upgrading the components known to be responsible for the flexing with stronger/stiffer aftermarket units you will lock the rear suspension geometry in place and significantly improve grip and performance. The top three components you will want to focus on are:

1) Rear cradle bushings- The rear cradle is the structural member that the entire rear suspension and drivetrain are built on. It is essentially the foundation of the rear of your car. You can use polyurethane bushings to limit the movement of the rear cradle or go with a solid bushing to lock it in place. Solid is a scary word when it comes to suspension but with the rear cradle you can get away with it, even on daily driver applications.

2) Rear trailing arms- We have found that a good set of rear cradle bushings and rear trailing arms are many times all it takes to cure wheel hop for the average bolt on car. These aftermarket components are often lighter than the OEM units they replace and allow the rear suspension to respond more quickly and keep the rear tires in contact with the pavement, thus increasing traction. They are also stronger and replace the stock mushy rubber bushings with stiffer polyurethane units that reduce flexing under load. Ensure that the rear trailing arms you are looking at include the outer bushings. If not, order them separately.

3) Toe rods- While the rear trailing arms are being installed it is a great opportunity to also upgrade the toe rods. Toe rods are responsible for maintaining toes settings of the rear wheels. Replacing the stock stamped steel rods and mushy rubber bushings with a stronger unit with polyurethane bushings further reduce flexing and improve grip, launch stability, and braking performance.

Two other components you might also want to consider, especially if you like hitting the 1/4 mile, are:

1) Inner rear upper control arm bushings- When launching and shifting aggressively these bushings have a lot of leverage placed on them. Because of that the soft stock bushings flex severely permitting the rear spindles to counter rotate. By upgrading these bushings you will further decrease movement of the rear wheels and have more consistent and predictable load transmission to the rear tires.

2) Rear differential bushings- These units reduce movement of the differential contributing to an overall reduction in drivetrain deflection. This will get more horsepower to the pavement more quickly. You do have to be cautious when looking at rear differential bushings. The harder you go the more likely you are to see increased NVH (noise, vibration, harmonics). It is a good idea to consult with a professional on these.

In the excellent picture you provided could you label the areas that you are talking about.

Thanks
Trying to learn, I know to most its a stupid question.

Jim
Old 05-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #83
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
In the excellent picture you provided could you label the areas that you are talking about.

Thanks
Trying to learn, I know to most its a stupid question.

Jim
There are no stupid questions. Asking is how you learn and that was a great idea. I am going to add these to the opening post as well.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #84
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
could you label the areas that you are talking about.
Here you go Jim, I labeled that pic as well.
Attached Images

Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
60 foot, apex motorsports, drag racing, traction, wheel hop