Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
Shotty AC fans?

Anyone else have issues with shotty fans in their AC? When I have mine on low, it makes the most obnoxious clicking sound. Ive gotta take my car in for an oil change tomorrow, im hoping theres just a stick in my system or something. Watch them charge me 200 bucks to replace the fan because it has a bad bearing or something. UGH.
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Many here have had it replaced under warranty. I just had mine done last week.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
If your out of warranty, the fix looks fairly simple. The part can't be that much. The dealer invoice was $120 to GM on my replacement (parts and labor).
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #4
fpdsniper

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
LOL! I thought this thread had something to do with a brand or something named "Shotty". After reading this, I see you meant "Shoddy"! Sorry, had to give you some grief over this...

shod·dy
ˈSHädē/
adjective
adjective: shoddy; comparative adjective: shoddier; superlative adjective: shoddiest
badly made or done.
"we're not paying good money for shoddy goods"
synonyms:poor-quality, inferior, second-rate, third-rate, cheap, cheapjack, trashy, jerry-built; More
fpdsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:21 AM   #5
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
If your out of warranty, the fix looks fairly simple. The part can't be that much. The dealer invoice was $120 to GM on my replacement (parts and labor).
I thought the dash needs to be removed and the fan needs to be cut out (yes, CUT out) and not simply unscrewed/unbolted. $120 seems awfully low for that amount of labor.

I opted not to do anything about the squeaks coming from mine since the thought of additional crap due to an improperly refitted dash could be worse.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:54 AM   #6
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1028 View Post
I thought the dash needs to be removed and the fan needs to be cut out (yes, CUT out) and not simply unscrewed/unbolted. $120 seems awfully low for that amount of labor.

I opted not to do anything about the squeaks coming from mine since the thought of additional crap due to an improperly refitted dash could be worse.
I haven't done mine either.. it is rather annoying but I don't want the dealer messing with my dash. I've heard sometimes the fix is worse than the noise. You do have to cut the blower motor out of the hvac box but I don't think you have to remove the dash. When i can't stand it anymore I'll do it myself.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:22 AM   #7
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
took them an hour to replace the fan and update my radio last month. fan was under 3/36 and its the bearing that is squealing. take off the glove box and look at it. it will come right out. less than 50 bucks from gm parts direct.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:36 AM   #8
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Doesn't look like it's that big of a deal to replace the fan. There is a DIY thread with photos.. here is the link..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265265

Looks fairly simple..