Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #71
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
the general public has a hard time telling a 2011 camaro apart from a 2020.
The General Public doesn't know they again produce the Camaro. GM never let them know.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #72
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Phoenix View Post
GM's list of bad descisions on the 6th gen Camaro are endless really but three stand out to me

1. Marketing. I feel like last Camaro commerical I've seen was 2014 TF4 based with the kid saying "Bumblebee is that you!". When TF5 came out they didn't take advantage of using the movie & the 6th Gen Bumblebee, they never put together new Transformers editions like they did in 2010 & 2012. Nor did they with Bumblebee the Movie which they could have translated with evolution of Bumblebee Camaro's from TF1 through 5 with a liner about Bumblebee and the Camaro. Move away from the TF Franchise and they didn't do any good marketing. Dodge always has Chargers & Challengers in Commercials throughout the year.

2. Price points & trim levels. GM tries too hard to separate trim levels of the cars. The average public you have to sell on standard features compared to today's competition in the year 2020, and options that are more times not added when it comes to creature comforts. GM has built their trim packages on the Camaro like it's 2005 and charging Premium prices for extremely basic equipment. On price point 2010-2020 price inflation seems to be about $6,000-$7,000 more on these cars today for matching trim levels and options. With that in mind a lot of potential customers don't to buy new and prefer to wait and buy used so they don't lose $10,000 plus on immediate depreciation off the top.

3. Keep shoppers interested as the car market advances per model year. Besides Fascia's & 10spd auto on the SS GM hasn't done much to keep the car moving forward with the times. They change a couple of colors but they don't created entire packages. Special packages has been Dodges bread and butter more so than redesigns, and every time they do it they create something appealing that draws attention of shoppers. I believe at one point recently Challenger was beating Mustang & Camaro in sales, that a 2008 design beating newer models of their competitor.

3 reasons why GM is sucking in selling the Camaro.

1. is marketing
2. is Marketing
3. is Marketing

You can sell a POS if its marketed right, we see that every day with gobs of products and the Camaro is not a POS.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #73
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
3 reasons why GM is sucking in selling the Camaro.

1. is marketing
2. is Marketing
3. is Marketing

You can sell a POS if its marketed right, we see that every day with gobs of products and the Camaro is not a POS.
You are 100% correct. Remember the f'ing AWESOME advertisements for the Camaro?

Those are commercials that made you run to your nearest Chevy dealer and scream "take my money"!!

GM needs a PR staff to bring that same kind of vibe back and advertise the living hell out of the Camaro with ads like that. I can see them using some Greta Van Fleet tunes (google them if you don't know who they are) to bring the younger generation to the game. Their music fits the Camaro perfectly.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #74
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The other 2 problems that aren't mentioned is this model was supposed to be a "youth" targeted car.

A) Most kids do not care about V8 power (or cars other than econoboxes)

B) The entry level V8 is close to 40K out the door with is out of reach for most kids.
After that, you can add insurance.

Thake a Honda, double the power, and the insurance co. says you still have a Honda.

The average age of a Camaro buyer is 53. Mustang and Dodge are in the same demographic.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #75
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
The general public also has no clue about the superiority of the alpha chassis so gm needs to let their rigid options/pricing go.

I still don't know why a $37K 1SS doesn't have blind spot monitoring or leather standard. You know, what a comparably priced family sedan would have, let alone sports car.

Edit: As I have mentioned in another thread, LT4 vs. LT5 crate engine difference is $3k. While not a total apples to apples comparison for production's sake, it goes to show that
a LT5 ZL1 doesn't need to be anywhere near $100k, let alone $80k. Imagine the buzz it would create for the Camaro . . . The fact that GM put it in the low volume C7 ZR1 and nothing else tells me
that they have probably already recouped its costs and that there is margin enough for utilizaition in the Camaro.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #76
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 04-02-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: l
Old 04-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #77
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
The other 2 problems that aren't mentioned is this model was supposed to be a "youth" targeted car.

A) Most kids do not care about V8 power (or cars other than econoboxes)

B) The entry level V8 is close to 40K out the door with is out of reach for most kids.
After that, you can add insurance.

Thake a Honda, double the power, and the insurance co. says you still have a Honda.

The average age of a Camaro buyer is 53. Mustang and Dodge are in the same demographic.

Yeh..but when you drive a Honda you look like a Dork.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #78
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
My crystal ball suggests this thread will become 15+ pages of arguments that the sales decline of the Camaro could be reversed or mitigated through television commercials and printed advertisements . . .
yep, This ^ and it has begun and will exceed 15, LOL.

We can say what we want of GM management and their decisions. But strength of a company is not based on sales of a single brand, or of the Camaro in this case. It based on a lot of finance items. But Here's what i would say is a better indicator.
Even with this virus stuff going, and the stock market drops, as of today:
GM stock price: ~ $18
Ford stock price: ~ $4.70
FCA stock price: ~ $7

if you look at the 52 wk average before the start of this recession, GM was ~ $38, Ford ~ $9 and FCA ~ $14.

GM is a stronger and better run company according to the folks who really know business. Even if they drive a BMW that you can gap.

Be safe folks
Eric10905 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #79
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Looks like they have all shed half of their value same as my retirement plans LOL
1998 Monte Carlo SS
1980 Cutlass Supreme 403
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #80
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
The Corvette is the only performance car that GM cares about the Camaro is really just minor part of the GM plan, the platform is a good one but the car does not have the personality that the Mustang or Challenger has. The Sales show that and it could be gone if the sales for that platform don't show a return on their investment.
1998 Monte Carlo SS
1980 Cutlass Supreme 403
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #81
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
yep, This ^ and it has begun and will exceed 15, LOL.

We can say what we want of GM management and their decisions. But strength of a company is not based on sales of a single brand, or of the Camaro in this case. It based on a lot of finance items. But Here's what i would say is a better indicator.
Even with this virus stuff going, and the stock market drops, as of today:
GM stock price: ~ $18
Ford stock price: ~ $4.70
FCA stock price: ~ $7

if you look at the 52 wk average before the start of this recession, GM was ~ $38, Ford ~ $9 and FCA ~ $14.

GM is a stronger and better run company according to the folks who really know business. Even if they drive a BMW that you can gap.

Be safe folks
stock prices aren't rewards for being good at your job. They're heavily influenced on speculation and other factors that make investing at any given point a smart decision or selling a better one.

Otherwise what you're saying is that tesla is 4x better and stronger of a company than GM, and well beyond in strength and being well run than all three of those car companies combined.

I mean, I like what tesla is doing and hate the legally backed dealer sales model like a lot of people, but something that overwhelming would be making more of a drastic impact in everyday life everywhere and not just in large cities/affluent areas.

gm's stock has more to do with the likelihood of the US government always bailing them out of any huge problem than it does with the public recognizing that they have a strong business model and a proven path to succeed in the future. That and their size (allowing them to better weather local strikes and issues)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #82
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
And the train wreck continues to roll on. How anyone is surprised by this is amazing to say the least.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #83
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
MSRP is the only valid comparison. That’s what Ford thinks they are worth. There is no justification for an LT5 Camaro to be $100k.

The GT350 and GT500 are not parts bin cars because there are numerous bespoke components on them. Everything about the Camaro was developed for other programs.

You’re missing my point. GM is not doing anything ground breaking or pushing the envelope with its engines. Things may be changing with the C8.

Dodge and Ford are taking what they have and pushing it as far as they can go. GM is looking at the Camaro and holding it down.

Which of the 3 is on the verge of dying again?

Gotcha, I see your point on the parts bin.

I disagree on pricing. Ford holds back production on the Shelby GT500 and GT350, they also limit what dealers get as far as product based on sales. This is all to drive the price up. It’s a good old sales tactic, offer a lower price to get the suckers into the dealer then tell them it’s a limited production product and this allows dealers to push pricing. You have it backwards, window sticker don’t mean sh*t if you can’t buy the car for that price.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #84
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
they also limit what dealers get as far as product based on sales.
Sales based allocation is common for all "performance" cars, even your standard I4 Camaro/Mustang is allocated based on sales.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote