Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
What's more American - Honda Accord or Camaro??

Had dinner with some friends last evening and of couse all the talk centered on my new 2LT/RS purchase. I mentioned I had shopped around for a V6 powered sport coupe and looked at the Accord. Dealer even offered $2K off MSRP for a 09 Accord EX-L V6 coupe with A5 and Nav, came to just over $29K. I was tempted then word leaked that I could order a new Camaro on 10/13. I did. Out the door for MSRP $30,280. It doesn't have Nav or Sunroof like the Accord but I'm OK with that.

But here's the question, the Accord is built in Marysville Ohio and has 65% US content. The Camaro is built in Canada and I don't know what % is US parts.

So which is technically MORE American?? History doesn't count. I mean right now TODAY.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Honda is based in Japan, sales profits go to Japan NOT the US. It is not American regardless of where the parts are made or assembled. Who pays for those salarys and the plants and parts.. Japan.

If Honda were to go belly up tomorrow only a very minority of people in the US would be affected where a MASS of people in japan would be out of jobs (engineers, sourcing, testing, corporate, etc).
Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
neither the honda is japanese and the camaro is canadian.

but the camaro is more american due to the chevy name which orginates in america.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
agreed. All the administrative and design effort have been based in the US. Just because its not assembled here doesn't make it less of an American car.

And besides, Canada is like Americas hat
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
+10
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post

LOL
Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
There is a cold hard reality that we as " Americans" have to face.

GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, et al. are International Corporations; building and Selling Vehicles virtually all over the world. ( I am not sure what you would call Chrysler any more since they are pretty much limited to North America)

As such,the only remaining nationalistic take is the physical Location of the Corporate Headquarters.

As has been pointed out in diarmadhi's note, Sales profits go to the respective Corporate HQ and their shareholders wherever they may be located.

I would also point out that the " Foreign" brands do employee more than a few people in the United States and Canada.

Regardless, I prefer American Branded products. The reaility is that many of the components and many of the finished products come from many domestic and foreign locations.

For better or worse, that is the result of International Corporate business in today's World.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Don't forget the Aussies - they designed the car so maybe it's an Australian car. Those lines sure are getting harder to see these days. I agree with the hat thing - not very different up here.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Regardless, I prefer American Branded products. The reaility is that many of the components and many of the finished products come from many domestic and foreign locations.
Very good point. The better GM products do, the better the perception of ALL of GM and that will mean more sales. We all will prosper due to increased jobs and profitability of not only GM but thousands of North American suppliers.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
It wasn't Aussies alone who designed the car. It was half and half and half Oz/USA/Can.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
AZZ28

Drives: '05 Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
There is a cold hard reality that we as " Americans" have to face.

GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, et al. are International Corporations; building and Selling Vehicles virtually all over the world. ( I am not sure what you would call Chrysler any more since they are pretty much limited to North America)

As such,the only remaining nationalistic take is the physical Location of the Corporate Headquarters.

As has been pointed out in diarmadhi's note, Sales profits go to the respective Corporate HQ and their shareholders wherever they may be located.

I would also point out that the " Foreign" brands do employee more than a few people in the United States and Canada.

For better or worse, that is the result of International Corporate business in today's World.
1. International production of an automobile is not new...Ford and GM were both doing it in the 20's...you can still find German Ford products available which were made in the 20's & 30's (I have books at home which prove this point). Prior to WW2, Ford was the largest producer of vehicles in Europe. Henry Ford stopped all 'collusion' with Hitler once it became apparent that Hitler had grander plans than just the restoration of the German economy.

2. During WW2, American car manufacturers (including Studebaker, Frazier, Hudson, et al) turned their factories over to war production overnight - which brings up an interesting comment on BMW, Honda & Toyota 'production' here in the States.

3. The Big 3, while manufacturing products all over the world, are American companies, pure and simple. International? Yes. American? Definitely!
AZZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
So which is technically MORE American?? History doesn't count. I mean right now TODAY
Even with saying this, you can't really do this. You have to include history. Look at "Honda." It sure isn't American...not at all...other than americans buy it. Camaro...an American car. I won't go any further...lol.

The Camaro is as american as it can get besides having it built in the U.S. And, having it built in Canada does not matter to me one bit...besides, Oshawa it a (or the) leading plant in terms of quality. So, no one better complain about that!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Honda is based in Japan, sales profits go to Japan NOT the US. It is not American regardless of where the parts are made or assembled. Who pays for those salarys and the plants and parts.. Japan.

If Honda were to go belly up tomorrow only a very minority of people in the US would be affected where a MASS of people in japan would be out of jobs (engineers, sourcing, testing, corporate, etc).
Absolutely 100%

It doesn't matter if the car is 100% made here, if the profits go to any other country, then it's NOT American. Which companies invest in this country, build significant facilities, pay property/sales/business/other taxes? Which companies assist rescue/rebuild efforts during various natrual disasters in the US? Not the japanese.

If something is concieved of, and sells under one of the Ford, Chrysler, or GM badges...then it's American, regardless of where it's built or where its parts come from.

In my very humble opinion, those who argue fervently that a foriegn car is actually an American car is only trying to justify his/her purchase to themselves because they know deep-down what they just did didn't help our country at all. Otherwise...why argue?

:flag2:

EDIT: Canada is the US's best friend whether the powers-that-be admit it or not. So anything coming or going between us do not get placed under the "foriegn" descriptor as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
It wasn't Aussies alone who designed the car. It was half and half and half Oz/USA/Can.
So the Camaro counts as a car and a half then?
No wonder there is so much standard content!
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote