Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
OBX long tubes, 1 year later

First off before you read any further, please keep the crap about being cheap quality, rip-off parts, etc to yourself & out of this thread. Also, before you post any negative comments, please do your research on 304 stainless steel. It WILL corrode. OK, now that the rant is thru, here is my review.

OBX headers are polished 304 stainless steel & come with extension pipes & resonators (no cats). I've had my OBX headers for a little over a year now. I live in northeast Ohio & my car is a daily driver so it has seen everything in terms of weather, including salted, snowy roads. Performance-wise, the headers made a noticable difference. Sound-wise, well let's just say my neighbors weren't too happy with the mod. I did get a CEL, but a Trifecta tune took care of that. The headers weren't bad to install, just a PITA because of the bolt locations. I know OBX gets knocked but for the price, you can't beat them. When they came, they were nice, polished & looked great (I pulled this pic from online)

After a week or 2, they were blued up & looked really good too.

But now it's been a year & they've seen a winter & daily heat cycling. They still are solid, but the polished look is gone.

Not so pretty anymore, but they still function great. The top of the headers in the engine bay, still looks pretty decent, but there is some pitting.

All in all, I really enjoy these headers & would recommend them to anyone who wants a decent power boost at a good price. Since my car isn't a garage queen, I can't speak for how these headers would look after a year of no rain/snow, but I'm betting they'd probably still have the shiny, polished finish.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Thanks Cntryman for that review.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
For a daily driver in snowy climates, I doubt any other headers will have a shiny appearance.

I would love to see some pics from other header manufacturers from cars that are daily driven in rain & snow. I would like to see stainless headers as well as ceramic coated. Anyone have pics they would like to share?

I'd hate to see how bad the mild-steel headers like pacesetters look.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
For a daily driver in snowy climates, I doubt any other headers will have a shiny appearance.

I would love to see some pics from other header manufacturers from cars that are daily driven in rain & snow. I would like to see stainless headers as well as ceramic coated. Anyone have pics they would like to share?

I'd hate to see how bad the mild-steel headers like pacesetters look.
I have the pacesetters. Almost a year now. I also live in Ohio. But the car missed the winter because I was in Oklahoma for the winter for training. I plan on taking them back off this summer and coating them in header paint. They will last forever then. Right now they have zero rust and look good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
pic 2 and 3 is mine LOL

I have to agree with country. It's definitely a nice set of header for the price. I don't think nothing can beat that. Peoples do tend to put this header down just because is not a thousand dollar header, but dyno showed that it does the same exact thing that a thousand dollar header does. For anyone that don't need cats this is a very nice option.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
i already got the trifecta tune would i have to pay $100 to vince to get the cell off?
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
great review man, after getting your feedback at mod-day and seeing and hearing rachels obx longtubes, this will be a mod i will be doing for sure.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
gahammerle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis64 View Post
i already got the trifecta tune would i have to pay $100 to vince to get the cell off?
No, headers is not a substantial mod that requires the extra $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
great review man, after getting your feedback at mod-day and seeing and hearing rachels obx longtubes, this will be a mod i will be doing for sure.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
I am like 2 weeks shy of 1 year and about 25K on them. Daily driver and I live in FLA with no salt and don't look as good as new, I would buy them again without hesitation for the money.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
gahammerle

On a side note, after seeing your LTs, I've been persuaded not to get a low mount turbo - not that I was looking to anyway. At the moment I plan to stay NA, but if I do go FI, I'd go with a SC first, and a high-mounted turbo/twin-turbo second.

Find me on Facebook:
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
pic 2 and 3 is mine LOL

I have to agree with country. It's definitely a nice set of header for the price. I don't think nothing can beat that. Peoples do tend to put this header down just because is not a thousand dollar header, but dyno showed that it does the same exact thing that a thousand dollar header does. For anyone that don't need cats this is a very nice option.

Funny thing is that first photo is mine........LOL..

Quote:

I agree with all of those who have gone with OBX, for the price you cannot beat them. Just keep in mind they will NOT look perfect later down the road. If you want them to stay looking good either buy a different brand other than OBX, or have them coated.

Also, here is my thread on some install tips and sound bites too. I have come to accept them for what they have done for me. I love the performance, and have given up on how they will look. As long as they work I am happy.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=obx
Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
cntryman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Funny thing is that first photo is mine........LOL..

I agree with all of those who have gone with OBX, for the price you cannot beat them. Just keep in mind they will NOT look perfect later down the road. If you want them to stay looking good either buy a different brand other than OBX, or have them coated.
quoted would be the only way to go...304 sst is still going to corrode no matter which brand of header you get
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis64 View Post
Nope. No extra fee needed for the new tune. For what it's worth, I had my car Trifecta tuned BEFORE installing these and I still haven't gotten a CEL. And I never told BNR that I was doing headers months ago, so I don't think they included that in my initial tune. So... I don't know. I'm still going to make some adjustments to my tune anyway, but I thought it was strange I never got the CEL to begin with.

Quote:
WOO! Do it!! I've been rompin' on it all over town the last couple days. My MPG is shot this week.
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
cntryman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachykells View Post

WOO! Do it!! I've been rompin' on it all over town the last couple days. My MPG is shot this week.
lol, I was the same way when I got mine.....fun huh?