Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
stasha87

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Dragon's Tail

Has anyone ran the dragons tail yet, with the 5th gen? I'm just wondering, I'm running it this fall, and was wondering how well she handled.
Thanx
stasha87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The only time I've heard of Dragon's tail was in a vw video. It looked like a great run.

Post video/pictures when you do go!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
If you are good at dodging Bicycles and Crotch Rockets, it will be a nice drive.

There are a couple of forum members from down there, I think they arranged a little meet and greet not to long ago.

Have Fun
riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
The "Tail" has been pretty much neutered! Cops are always there these days.... not what it used to be.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
KybheSS

Drives: Black '10 2SS/RS

I have been down there numerous times on my bike. Its a beautiful drive and there is also the Charohola (Sp?) skyway that is a beautiful drive through mountain tops. If anyone is interested in getting a group together I'd be interested. Beauwolf is right, there are cops all over the place but even if you want to have a little fun all the bikes look out for each other and warn each other for the most part. You really can't go much over the speed limit in most places anyway because of the curves.

http://www.dealsgap.com/

Some of the bikes are bad too, but you always have the respectful ones and then the jerk-offs that will pass you in a curve and risk a head on collision. Yet, you will always have that.

Something nice is they have professional photographers all of the road and you can go on their website to look at pictures a few days after (that is one above of me and my wife).

Let's get a group together!
KybheSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
It was alot of fun. Bikers and or cars/minivans can really slow up progress. I actually didn't see any cops while I was there. Don't plan on doing some sort of time trial when you get there though. You're bound to get caught behind some minivan going ten under. Wait til theres some color though, it's beautiful out there.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Our club will be doing this run July 23-24 2011!! Looks like a lot of FUN.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
SwedeandBlondie

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 on order
It wont be the bikes that slow you down. If anything, it'll be other cars. Best time is the middle of the week. I was down there in September. Rode both a weekday and a weekend. Week day was the key. Cops are out, but not too bad during the week. If you show your ass, you'll get a ticket. If you keep things somewhat moderate, you'll be good
2009 HD Street Glide
2005 HD Fatboy
SwedeandBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeandBlondie View Post
It wont be the bikes that slow you down. If anything, it'll be other cars. Best time is the middle of the week. I was down there in September. Rode both a weekday and a weekend. Week day was the key. Cops are out, but not too bad during the week. If you show your ass, you'll get a ticket. If you keep things somewhat moderate, you'll be good
+1 middle of the week is best...the only time the LEO's show up if someone wads up a car/bike, people going left of center and someone reporting it, or if a real "SPECIAL" event is going on and they know about it.

I spent weeks down there.....the dragon is a novelty run......you have to hit the Hell Bender Highway and The Cheraholla Highway.......BEAUTIFUL RIDING/Driving
Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
photonfury
I wanna go fast!!!!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Anyone down near the Dragon and can tell me how the roads are this time of year? I'll be on vacation down that way in a couple weeks.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonfury View Post
Anyone down near the Dragon and can tell me how the roads are this time of year? I'll be on vacation down that way in a couple weeks.
If you go to this link: http://www.dealsgap.com/ they have the current weather on the right side of the page. Then they have a link to a 10 day forecast. Which is here: http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...&cm_pla=10-day

It is pretty much like the 10 day forecast at this point in time...most of the times a little warmer....at least in the past years I went there....
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
photonfury
I wanna go fast!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
If you go to this link: http://www.dealsgap.com/ they have the current weather on the right side of the page. Then they have a link to a 10 day forecast. Which is here: http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...&cm_pla=10-day

It is pretty much like the 10 day forecast at this point in time...most of the times a little warmer....at least in the past years I went there....

Thanks,
I was wondering if anyone on here has had any eyes on recently. Weather does look pretty nice though. Compared to Ohio standards.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
clint

Drives: 2010 2SS
Man I haven't made it to the dragon in several years. Been through it dozens of times on a motorcycle at way too high speeds, once in a car with a local (that was a ride). There are plenty of roads in that area that are just as much fun once you factor in traffic and cops around the dragon. Don't know if it's gotten better but the cops were really cracking down the last time I was there probably 2-3 yrs ago. It's still worth the ride, just be careful on any of the roads around there, trust me lots of them will bite...
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
photonfury
I wanna go fast!!!!

Thanks for the heads up, i'm trying to plan somewhat carefully where i'll be going....i really don't want to end up on some random dirt road