Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Sub Box on convertible

Has anyone made a small box attached to the mount in the stock spot?

I see the after market mount you can get, but that still leaves the sub as free air. I've also seen the boxes you put in the trunk, but it seems to take up alot of room. I was just wondering if anyone has attached a smaller box to the back of the mount, leaving the subwoofer in place?

Another thing I was thinking about, was to cut a hole in the floor board of the trunk to place a subwoofer facing up, put a grill over it to keep stuff put in the trunk from falling in on it, and letting the spare tire/battery area work as a kind of box...not sure if that would work or not, just a thought.

Im trying to limit the space taken up by the box and/or prevent having to remove the trunk screen as required by the stealth boxes for a vert
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
I had a custom box built with 2 10's that fits right under the convertible screen. My first thought was that there wasn't going to be enough space to do that; but my friend made it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post

I see the after market mount you can get, but that still leaves the sub as free air. I've also seen the boxes you put in the trunk, but it seems to take up alot of room. I was just wondering if anyone has attached a smaller box to the back of the mount, leaving the subwoofer in place?

Another thing I was thinking about, was to cut a hole in the floor board of the trunk to place a subwoofer facing up, put a grill over it to keep stuff put in the trunk from falling in on it, and letting the spare tire/battery area work as a kind of box...not sure if that would work or not, just a thought.

Im trying to limit the space taken up by the box and/or prevent having to remove the trunk screen as required by the stealth boxes for a vert
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
lewihare

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertable
Quote:

******** makes a stealth box that installs very easy for 1-10" sub.
lewihare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Rhyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewihare View Post
******** makes a stealth box that installs very easy for 1-10" sub.
I believe you have to remove the trunk screen though, not sure if i want to do that or not. thinking about other options before I take that route is all.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
I believe you have to remove the trunk screen though, not sure if i want to do that or not. thinking about other options before I take that route is all.
Removing the screen is no big deal IMO. It's silly and a PITA if you ask me. We have tried upfire, downfire, and even forward-fire designs with multiple subs to go under the screen and the stealthbox just blows that away. So we gave up on that idea. The problem is when you drop the top on a box that is under there, it literally smothers out all the bass. The stealthbox does a much better job of getting the bass thru the top into the cabin. You should hear my 107w in my car, it is freaking impressive. Not much to sacrafice IMO.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Racecarguy

Drives: 2011 CGM vert
Is the stealtbox one you make, or is it from the stealthbox company?
Racecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecarguy View Post
Is the stealtbox one you make, or is it from the stealthbox company?
Yes of course its one we make. Here it is installed my car. I have a 900w kicker amp pushing it.

[IMG]http://********.com/images/5g-vrtlds10.JPG[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Removing the screen is no big deal IMO. It's silly and a PITA if you ask me. We have tried upfire, downfire, and even forward-fire designs with multiple subs to go under the screen and the stealthbox just blows that away. So we gave up on that idea. The problem is when you drop the top on a box that is under there, it literally smothers out all the bass. The stealthbox does a much better job of getting the bass thru the top into the cabin. You should hear my 107w in my car, it is freaking impressive. Not much to sacrafice IMO.
I have a box under the screen with 2 10's and I was shocked that there is no loss of bass with the top down. I can be cruising down the freeway at 80mph and the bass is loud, sharp, and crisp. I don't know what type of design/how they are facing but it sounds amazing. I have a 2002 35th LE Vert as well and have a box in the trunk with 3 10's rear facing and it is nowhere even close to the sound of my ZL1.
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
lewihare

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post

Steve is correct. While my box design is a bit different from his, I'm enjoying the extra sound as opposed to having a screen in the trunk. It's just held on with two screws and easy to remove.
Attached Images

lewihare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
RBD

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
the ******** convertible box works so nice......love mine
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Rhyder

ok pulled the trigger on ********'s stealth box.

Going with ********'s 10" Drivers Side Stealth Enclosure, Infinity 100.9w subwoofer and the Infinity Reference 1600a amp. We will see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

I do occasionally put longish items in the trunk, do they make screens that go over the woofer that doesn't impede performance, to protect it?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBD View Post
the ******** convertible box works so nice......love mine
Glad you guys like your boxes. And yes there are a number of grilles avaible to protect woofers.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Rhyder

got it installed and it sounds great, snapped in perfect...the installers were suitably impressed with the box....thx