Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Lightbulb What is the ultimate sports car?

The Camaro falls into a category of sports cars known as pony cars, the home field of GM, Chrysler, and Ford. It is a subset of muscle cars known for compact performance, RWD platforms, and track performance. The Camaro, however, is not limited to competing with American products. It is a product of international attention as evidenced by Camaro5's worldwide membership.

The Camaro is an undeniable success. GM put a lot of effort into the details of the powertrain, cosmetic design, suspension, and interior in order to make it the revolutionary product that it is. We all appreciate that. In order to properly help GM design future products to this standard, we should explain why this product is so successful. Why does this product consume our time? When we could be with our friends or family, we spend time washing our cars meeting fellow owners, or discussing them online.

In a traditional muscle car, a lot of praise went toward those with limited features. The strippers were considered true sports cars because their luxuries were limited to performance. Is this a true sports car? In this example, we should be discussing our brute performance, but can the Camaro really compete with products that have substantially more power at a lower weight, like ZR1s?

A lot of cars have raw performance, but they aren't exactly drivable on a daily basis. Is it functional performance that makes a sports car ideal? Does it have to have the potential to be tuned in the aftermarket rather than come that fast? In this case, we would take pride in our Camaro's flourishing aftermarket, but we might not describe high-performance cars like the ZR1 as ultimate sports cars.

Today, we are buying the RS package as if it is standard equipment. Very little of this package is necessary, although the HIDs and gauge 4-pack do have useful functions. The 2SS and 2LT are far more discussed than less equipped trims. Does luxury and technology make the ultimate sports car? In this description, we would take pride in OnStar and Bluetooth technology, but the 1SS won't fit into this category.

What is it for you? What makes the ultimate sports car, and how does the Camaro fit that description?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
coolman

I would have to say the ZR1 corvette hands down, and frankly for me the camaro doesn't even come close to fitting in with the ultimate sports cars of the world. But, that isn't why I have one.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
tightchevelle69
Derrick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
ultimate sports car....hmmm....i think id have to go with something like the bugatti veyron! superb styling, driveability, and performance!

2010 ABM 2SS/RS, A6, home Dec 10th, wifes birthday present!
2007 GMC Yukon XL, 2000 S10 Xtreme, 1969 Chevelle
tightchevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I'll take a GT40 thank you.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I would have to say the ZR1 corvette hands down, and frankly for me the camaro doesn't even come close to fitting in with the ultimate sports cars of the world. But, that isn't why I have one.
Perhaps I should elaborate. When I look at production cars, I see economy cars, passenger cars, trucks, sports cars, and exotics. Economy cars are built to be efficient or cheap. Passenger cars are built to carry people and stuff. Trucks are built for utility. Sports cars are built to be fast. Exotics are built in a variety of these segments to be the ultimate in style, luxury, or performance.

For me, the Camaro is among ultimate production sports cars. Those that are substantially faster than it don't belong in the sports car category because they are designed to be exotic. The GT-R is not a regular sports car. It is an exotic sports car. The price and style forget the function of being a sporty car and fill a higher role, usually being a status symbol. Is the Camaro a status symbol? If so, then you might argue that it fits this description as well, making it a member of the elite exotic sports cars, and thus an ultimate sports car.

I would describe the Camaro as the ultimate, affordable sports car. It performs with refined handling that can be used both on a track and on a street. It has function and form. It has available technology and style that puts it on the same page as Porsches with a price point that keeps it in comparison articles with Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightchevelle69 View Post
ultimate sports car....hmmm....i think id have to go with something like the bugatti veyron! superb styling, driveability, and performance!
Is it really that drivable? :seesaw:
Old 02-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
2010 Porsche Cayman S. I would have bought one instead of the Camaro if I could afford it! The Cayman S is reported to be the most balanced and refined relatively affordable sports car in the world! Not over powered but extremely controllable at it's limits. Motor trend calls it "quite possibly the best sports car in the world"! I love the styling and would love the opportunity to drive one someday!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
What price range would be considered affordable? Many different classes. I like the Corvette or Viper.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Under $75,000. Remember the OP said "ultimate sports car" and for $75K the Cayman S is a real bargain. Of course affordable to me is under $40k that's why I have a Camaro instead, LOL!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Under $75,000. Remember the OP said "ultimate sports car" and for $75K the Cayman S is a real bargain. Of course affordable to me is under $40k that's why I have a Camaro instead, LOL!
This is open for discussion. Obviously, you and I completely agree that the Cayman S is simply not affordable, but is it expensive or elite enough to be exotic?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Good question. It's not expensive enough to be called exotic but I think elite is more fitting, as is the ZR1 or GT-R, IMO. I think for the money we all have the best sports car with the Camaro SS!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Good question. It's not expensive enough to be called exotic but I think elite is more fitting, as is the ZR1 or GT-R, IMO. I think for the money we all have the best sports car with the Camaro SS!
Speak for yourself! I don't have a Camaro yet. :(

Maybe you should loan me yours.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This is open for discussion. Obviously, you and I completely agree that the Cayman S is simply not affordable, but is it expensive or elite enough to be exotic?
A new Cayman S starts at 61,500. Not horribly expensive, but not affordable for the average person. Used ones can come considerably cheaper. I wouldn't consider them to be "exotic" either. Just because it isn't American doesn't automatically make it exotic. They're all over the place around here, and they are not limited production cars.

You COULD consider the GTR to be "exotic" I suppose, just because it has low production numbers and is a bit pricey, but I have a friend who has one, and I see them on a regular basis.

There are other great AFFORDABLE sports cars out there. I think the Nissan 370z might be a better "pure sports car", but the Camaro SS is better bang for your buck in terms of power and looks. I could say the same about the Lotus elise (which is priced at $47,000).

The Camaro is a great car, but it isn't great because it's a great sports car, it's great because it's beautiful, powerful, pretty comfortable and just sporty enough. By comparison though, it doesn't handle very well, and it's very heavy.

So the ultimate sports car it is not.

I don't know if I can pick an ultimate, but I would say the Cayman S is up there for sure, as well as the ZR-1 Corvette. They're good examples of cars that have unparalleled performance when they're supposed to, and yet can still be docile and comfortable when they need to be.
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
The_Blur

So far, the consensus is that the Camaro SS is downright amazing for its price bracket, but the ultimate sports car must also have the ultimate performance. That's a fair definition.

That leaves a lot unanswered, though. Does the ultimate sports car feature the best technology, too, or is it a stripped vehicle with limited daily functionality? Is it all go? How much does style matter?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
tightchevelle69
Derrick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
So far, the consensus is that the Camaro SS is downright amazing for its price bracket, but the ultimate sports car must also have the ultimate performance. That's a fair definition.

That leaves a lot unanswered, though. Does the ultimate sports car feature the best technology, too, or is it a stripped vehicle with limited daily functionality? Is it all go? How much does style matter?
for ultimate i would tend to say all inclusive! you could take a rust bucket ford tempo and custom fabricate all running gear and engine for speed and performace and it could be the best handling car and faster than just about anything on the road (HYPOTHETICAL). but its still a ford tempo that looks like sh!t with no luxuries. i would definitely not put this into an ultimate sports car bracket. so it really cant be just one or the other on what it can or cant do or have! it really needs to be something with everything IMO!

2010 ABM 2SS/RS, A6, home Dec 10th, wifes birthday present!
2007 GMC Yukon XL, 2000 S10 Xtreme, 1969 Chevelle
tightchevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, sports car