Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
BronxRS

Drives: '13 2LT RS Convertible - AGM
Has Anyone Just Removed their Vert Subwoofer Altogether?

Just installed a large driver's side subbox from ******** (thanks Steve!) with a JL10w7 and PDX-V9 amp...holy crap!

I'm wondering whether the now disconnected factory Sub is serving any functional purpose or is just baffling sound from my new sub and adding a few extra pounds to the car?

I'm considering popping the seats and just removing the factory sub and mounting plate. Will this create any structural issues for the few rear seat passengers I ever have? Any thoughts on whether this makes sense from an audio point of view in terms of opening up the trunk bass some?
BronxRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
GearLube

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Inferno Orange Convertib
I talked to Steve too and so I removed mine. I then cut the carpet out around the hole to open it up. I did make a difference for me. I have a Comp kicker woofer now and am wondering if a switch to the JL might be worth it? As far as structure you will laugh when you see how flimsy the sub woofer is, like paper. The metal surmount is not much better.
GearLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
I removed mine too to help create a direct air passage into the cabin.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
BronxRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
I removed mine too to help create a direct air passage into the cabin.
Exactly. Just did it and can already hear a difference. I'll also be opening up the carpet in the rear with a mesh grille to allow direct air in between the rear seats.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I read in the descriptions on sub thumps website that you can't use the retractable screen. How do you put your top down? I thought it wouldn't go down without the screen in place.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
BronxRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I read in the descriptions on sub thumps website that you can't use the retractable screen. How do you put your top down? I thought it wouldn't go down without the screen in place.

-Geoff
Check this link for another post with pics.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346481

At the bottom is a link to an older post with additional instructions. Just ensure you don't keep anything in your trunk that is higher than your net and can obstruct your roof. You may damage your roof and blow out your rear side windows. Not a good thing. I just keep a sub and low frequency waves back there
Old 03-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
BronxRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearLube View Post
I talked to Steve too and so I removed mine. I then cut the carpet out around the hole to open it up. I did make a difference for me. I have a Comp kicker woofer now and am wondering if a switch to the JL might be worth it? As far as structure you will laugh when you see how flimsy the sub woofer is, like paper. The metal surmount is not much better.
The JL 10W7 is an absolute beast. It may be overkill but boy does it move a lot of air. The factory one is lighter than some component speakers I've installed in other cars. When I went with the RS package getting the "premium" BA was certainly not one of the reasons. To each his own though. My wife just thinks I'm an idiot and doesn't seem to notice the difference...other than, "oh, you have even LESS room in your useless trunk." I still love her as much as my Camaro