Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
BADBUSA1

Drives: 2012 SS CAMARO
L99 TUNE

I race bikes and I am new to camaro scene. I know the importance of tuning we dyno tune all of our bikes. My camao is a 2012 SS L99. It has BBK cold air, and BBK short headers. I took it to the track with just those 2 modifications and the car went 12.92 @ 108 mph. I then installed a flowmaster american thunder cat back system (3in pipes out thru mufflers )I took the car out last night and it went 13.30 @105. Here is where I am baffled. 4 tenths and 3 mph from bolting on better flowing exh?? After so many modifications do these cars have to be tuned . I cant believe with all the sensors on these cars that it would not see that it is lean, or what ever the case is and add fuel ? Let me know what you guys think from your experience, and also where is a good tuner in the orlando fla area, I dont mind driving for someone that knows what they are doing, and i mean tuning on a dyno, not just slapping a tune in it and saying that will work, i want to see the sheet before and after, just like the dragstrip is always the lie detector.. Thanks for any input.

Thanks Eric.
BADBUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
white ZL1

Drives: none
Sixty foot and weather could easily explain the 4 tenths and 3mph.
From a horsepower perspective, the car might benefit from a tune. But being an L99, a good tune will completely change the way the car drives. But you have to find a good tuner who is willing to work with you.

I'm also quickly becoming a believer in tuning being done on the street as much as possible, and then the dyno being used to measure the results. There are some exceptions, but they are not the norm.

Look up Tampa Tuning. He is a member on this board.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Corvette Camaro GTO tuner in Tampa Orlando

Thank for the referral White !

About 90% of the cars I calibrate are automatics and I really have them down pat. I see shops screwing up the 6L80/90 transmissions using the same strategies they did with the 4L series transmission and just adding line pressure. Then the car shifts like crap with inconsistent shifts and the client finds his way to me for a retune.

The dyno is a nice measurement tool for before and after, but that's all it its. It doesn't make your car any faster or slower, its just a measuring device.

I hear of a lot of cars going from the dyno, hit print for the graph numbers and giving the keys to the owner without taking it on the street for a test drive or the calibrator takes it on the street himself without the owner ( which is always a big red flag he's going to change something and is selling you a dyno number). Its going to lean out on the street compared to the dyno especially if you have a good air intake that takes its air from the front of the vehicle. So on the street for fine tuning.

With the transmission, I know how I like a car to shift, but that doesn't mean you'll like it. So, after calibration, we need to go on the street to see how YOU like the car. With the 6l series it doesn't have to be "here im done with your car". I like after a dyno calibration, I give the owner the keys and we go for a drive. Its your car, you have to like it not me.

When we have dyno days, I laugh when I hear about guys putting down xxx RWHP on "stingy" dynos and expect to make more on a dynojet, and they make less. Its not the dyno its their tune. Something was changed after they hit print. The dyno is just a tool that helps us do less driving on the street or track during calibration. The strategy for the calibration should be the same if your on the street/track/ or dyno.

I should post some HP Tuner scans from dyno day. Its scary what I see.

If you make it over to Tampa, Id be happy to calibrate your Camaro. You also have a couple sponsor in Palm Beach County that can take car of you like Redline Motorsports and Lashway

Phil

Last edited by Tampa Tuning; 07-12-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
FSP is in Bradenton which about the same distance at Tampa tuning. Either one can take care of you.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
At WOT your engine runs open loop so any mod needs to be tuned for max benefit.

Any positive fuel trims from cruise will add WOT fuel but neg trims do not remove any fuel. It's the way GM does it to keep an engine from leaning out.

I have always street tuned my vehicles. No dyno within 100 miles of me.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
FSP all the way. Just got my L99 dyno tune there and it runs amazing! With performance mods like intake, header, and Vmax throttle body. They were able to get me 50hp and 52tq out of it. My 3.91 gears dont help my numbers but he did make my shift points way better!

Matt knows what he is doing I will be going back there everytime for big mods like cam and FI
Old 08-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Thank for the referral White !

About 90% of the cars I calibrate are automatics and I really have them down pat. I see shops screwing up the 6L80/90 transmissions using the same strategies they did with the 4L series transmission and just adding line pressure. Then the car shifts like crap with inconsistent shifts and the client finds his way to me for a retune.

The dyno is a nice measurement tool for before and after, but that's all it its. It doesn't make your car any faster or slower, its just a measuring device.

I hear of a lot of cars going from the dyno, hit print for the graph numbers and giving the keys to the owner without taking it on the street for a test drive or the calibrator takes it on the street himself without the owner ( which is always a big red flag he's going to change something and is selling you a dyno number). Its going to lean out on the street compared to the dyno especially if you have a good air intake that takes its air from the front of the vehicle. So on the street for fine tuning.

With the transmission, I know how I like a car to shift, but that doesn't mean you'll like it. So, after calibration, we need to go on the street to see how YOU like the car. With the 6l series it doesn't have to be "here im done with your car". I like after a dyno calibration, I give the owner the keys and we go for a drive. Its your car, you have to like it not me.

When we have dyno days, I laugh when I hear about guys putting down xxx RWHP on "stingy" dynos and expect to make more on a dynojet, and they make less. Its not the dyno its their tune. Something was changed after they hit print. The dyno is just a tool that helps us do less driving on the street or track during calibration. The strategy for the calibration should be the same if your on the street/track/ or dyno.

I should post some HP Tuner scans from dyno day. Its scary what I see.

If you make it over to Tampa, Id be happy to calibrate your Camaro. You also have a couple sponsor in Palm Beach County that can take car of you like Redline Motorsports and Lashway

Phil
saw decrease of ~20hp/20tq from a "stingy Dyno" to dynojet and then phil somehow found it all and more. This was on a street tune before we even tested it on the Dyno. After that picked up even more
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Romulus1986

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I just had my car tuned by Tampa Tuning this past weekend and man it is a beast! Its a totally different car. If you need a good tune Phil at Tampa Tuning is amazing at tuning the automatics!
Romulus1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
saw decrease of ~20hp/20tq from a "stingy Dyno" to dynojet and then phil somehow found it all and more. This was on a street tune before we even tested it on the Dyno. After that picked up even more
Ive been hearing and reading about that more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus1986 View Post
I just had my car tuned by Tampa Tuning this past weekend and man it is a beast! Its a totally different car. If you need a good tune Phil at Tampa Tuning is amazing at tuning the automatics!
Some guys apply old school thinking with the 4l transmissions, and try to apply that to the 6l series. They are really going to screw up cars when the 8 speed transmissions are released.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
TOXIC SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
who do you recommend for a tuner in or around Lincoln ne.
TOXIC SS is offline   Reply With Quote