Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Unit453

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
SS RS DRL

I'm running the adaptive performance harness which keeps my DRLs on with my low beams. These DRLs, by themselves, I think, are absolutely worthless at putting out any type of usable light source. I don't know if it's the housings or the H16's themselves, but they pretty much suck ass.

I spend a few minutes creeping through a dark parking lot with nothing more than my halos and DRL lights on in pitch black and I couldn't see 5 feet in front of the car. If anything, they're for show only.

Now, coming from a series of previously owned Duramax trucks, we tinkered with anything and everything that had to do with lighting. When the new body styles came out for the 2007.5 model year, the fogs were changed from a 9145 to an H16. It didn't take people long to figure out how to modify the housings for other bulbs and eventually HIDs. I, myself, was running 4300k HID low beams, high beams and fog lights.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sho...Y-LMM-HID-Fogs

I'm not a fan of LEDs. I mean, I know they're bright and have their place but I'm looking for a usable bulb that will work in place of the worthless factory H16 garbage. I've seen plenty of LED bulbs in fog housings and I'm not impressed. I still think a halogen will put out more usable light, not to mention is about $90 cheaper.

Does anyone know any other types of bulbs can fit into the stock DRL housings? I'm looking for a 9006, or H10 maybe that will fit into the stock housing. I have no problem modifying the housing to get a different bulb to fit however. I'm just in search for some more light to replace these anemic H16 bulbs.

Obviously, I don't want to melt the housings so I'm not looking for something super high wattage. I just want some usable light without going the HID route, yet. I'm cheap and need to save my money for more useful things like firearms and ammunition.

Thoughts welcome.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I switched my "old" P13W LED's for the new plasmas P13W's--I don't think they are that much brighter. IMHO the DRL's are made to be seen--not for seeing. What would be ideal to me would be some type of low/hi beam type light that is good for being seen as a DRL on low beam, but useful to actually see the road on high beam. I would bet a completely new housing and lens structure would be needed to hold up to the heat a hi-beam bulb is sure to generate.

I had some Carello fog lights on my Corvette that were actually illegal for street use, but those things really lit up the road, and helped me see many deer that otherwise I wouldn't have seen.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I don't think they are that much brighter. IMHO the DRL's are made to be seen--not for seeing. I would bet a completely new housing and lens structure would be needed to hold up

This. And unless you change the housings, you are gonna melt 'em with anything that is higher power...
Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, Summit white, M6,
Send a message via MSN to ChevyCowboy
drl arent ment to be used to light up the road. there simply used so other drivers can see you easier during crappy weather
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Unit453

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
I know what they're meant for. I'm simply looking for a higher wattage bulb that might fit into the DRL housing.