Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
danrc28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black on Black
Short Throw shifter + Install

as my first mod to my camaro I was thinking of throwing in a new Short throw shifter, I was comparing the only 4 i saw out there for the V6 (ripshift, mti, MGW and hurst) and wanted to get your opinions on which would be best and which company has the better rep (from my research i saw that people really liked the mti and the MGW looks promising).

Also I was wondering if it mattered to get the shifter installed at the dealership or if we could go to any car shop without voiding the warranty.

Thanks!!

Last edited by danrc28; 09-30-2009 at 05:55 PM.
danrc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
none will void the warranty. the hurst unit has alot of shifters out there now and many on this forum have been installing it and the feedback is excellent. not sure about the others? plus, hurst is a shifter company and thats all they do and have been around forever
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I don't know much about the MTI, Ripshift, or MGW, other than what has been posted on this forum. But I did purchase and self-install the hurst unit in my car. I am very, very pleased with it. It has more throw reduction than the other shifters, and is easy to install. I am pretty sure you have to drop the tranny out to install all three of the other shifters, with the Hurst, you don't. It was a pretty easy install only took me about 2 hours in my garage (and I was taking it very slow). Besides, who can refuse that classic white ball and chromed "Hurst" stick, it looks great!!!! Like the previous post said, installing a shifter will NOT void your warranty, regardless of where it is installed. Get the Hurst, you will be very happy with it, and you can save some money and do the installation yourself. Hope this helps.

Later....
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I don't know much about the MTI, Ripshift, or MGW, other than what has been posted on this forum. But I did purchase and self-install the hurst unit in my car. I am very, very pleased with it. It has more throw reduction than the other shifters, and is easy to install. I am pretty sure you have to drop the tranny out to install all three of the other shifters, with the Hurst, you don't. It was a pretty easy install only took me about 2 hours in my garage (and I was taking it very slow). Besides, who can refuse that classic white ball and chromed "Hurst" stick, it looks great!!!! Like the previous post said, installing a shifter will NOT void your warranty, regardless of where it is installed. Get the Hurst, you will be very happy with it, and you can save some money and do the installation yourself. Hope this helps.

Later....
+1
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
MGW

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
you do not have to drop the tranny out to install the MGW unit but as stated not sure about the others. you only have to lower it slightly which takes all of literally 2 minutes to do. 4 bolts and you are done.

some key advantages of the MGW unit are...

its a COMPLETE replacement shifter not just the center shaft so it addresses several of the oem units shortcomings not just the short throw aspect.

mainly the "flex" that the stock unit has with the rubber mounting bracket in the back. the MGW unit replaces this bracket with a cnc machined bracket with hi temp poly bushings in them.

also the spring return to neutral in the stock unit is not strong enough. as you know or may not know, the STOCK unit does NOT have any internal springs it only relies on the spring back internal to the tranny. the MGW unit offers additional internal springs to make the 2-3 shift a no miss!!!

if you have a lift the install can easily be done yourself and even if you dont but have jack stands it can be done at home in your driveway or garage.

this saturday i have a gentleman coming from atlanta to do an install and we are going to video document the install step by step so it will really help you see whats involved. i think this install will be useful whether you buy the MGW Hurst or MTI unit.

regards
george
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGW View Post
you do not have to drop the tranny out to install the MGW unit but as stated not sure about the others. you only have to lower it slightly which takes all of literally 2 minutes to do. 4 bolts and you are done.

some key advantages of the MGW unit are...

its a COMPLETE replacement shifter not just the center shaft so it addresses several of the oem units shortcomings not just the short throw aspect.

mainly the "flex" that the stock unit has with the rubber mounting bracket in the back. the MGW unit replaces this bracket with a cnc machined bracket with hi temp poly bushings in them.

also the spring return to neutral in the stock unit is not strong enough. as you know or may not know, the STOCK unit does NOT have any internal springs it only relies on the spring back internal to the tranny. the MGW unit offers additional internal springs to make the 2-3 shift a no miss!!!

if you have a lift the install can easily be done yourself and even if you dont but have jack stands it can be done at home in your driveway or garage.

this saturday i have a gentleman coming from atlanta to do an install and we are going to video document the install step by step so it will really help you see whats involved. i think this install will be useful whether you buy the MGW Hurst or MTI unit.

regards
george
Good Info George,
I guess you don't have to drop out the tranny for the MGW shifter, sounds like the same process needed for the Hurst install. I'm sure that will influence many towards purchasing the MGW with its additional upgrades over the Hurst. As for me, I'm happy with my Hurst and don't really think it needs any additional "spring-back" to neutral. But then again, I'm not a hard-core racer either, so maybe there is a need out there, but I don't need it.
BTW, how much is the MGW???? (just curious)
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
MGW

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Good Info George,
I guess you don't have to drop out the tranny for the MGW shifter, sounds like the same process needed for the Hurst install. I'm sure that will influence many towards purchasing the MGW with its additional upgrades over the Hurst. As for me, I'm happy with my Hurst and don't really think it needs any additional "spring-back" to neutral. But then again, I'm not a hard-core racer either, so maybe there is a need out there, but I don't need it.
BTW, how much is the MGW???? (just curious)
looks like it is going to be in the 375 range

george
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
danrc28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black on Black
Nothing for the V6 yet tho?
danrc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

The hurst is for the V6 as will as the V8
Old 10-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
RMGee
Clap Clap

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
none will void the warranty. the hurst unit has alot of shifters out there now and many on this forum have been installing it and the feedback is excellent. not sure about the others? plus, hurst is a shifter company and thats all they do and have been around forever
They do a lot more than shifters these days
RMGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Carlos Garza

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
I would love for the Hurst short shifter to be my first of many mods... Where can I buy it...?
Carlos Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
lcmc

Drives: 1987 IROC Z convertible
My mechanic installed my Hurst in 20 minutes with me bugging him and no directions. He didn't even have to loosen the crossmember like directions state.
lcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Garza View Post
I would love for the Hurst short shifter to be my first of many mods... Where can I buy it...?
There are a lot of vendors on the site find one you like here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
Carlos Garza

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
There are a lot of vendors on the site find one you like here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Carlos Garza is offline   Reply With Quote