Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
DetailersDomain

Drives: Audi S4
No more Rusty Rotors - Hyde's Serum Rustopper

Product Showcase: Hyde's Serum Rustopper - Anti Rust solution for your wheel and braking systems.

How many times have you wondered....how can I stop rust on my brake rotors when I wash or detail my car. Its ugly and messy. We get this question quite often.

I'm happy to announce that we have found a great solution to prevent this from happening during your car wash.

No more having to go back and wipe down your inner wheels after all that hard work.

This is currently is the best solution that we know of to prevent rust from happening to the rotors during your washing and detailing. This is not a permanent solution, the rotors will rust after you drive in the rain or they get wet.

STOP the RUST from ruining your wash and details.

Manufacturer Description:

Rustopper effortlessly prevents rust from forming on your brake rotors after cleaning wheels and braking systems.

Product features:
- Rustopper was designed to prevent “rust dust” – the initial brake dust on clean wheels that occurs after washing.
- Rustopper’s Acid-free, pH-neutral formula will not attack wheel coatings, lug nuts or braking systems.
- Rustopper is safe on all types of steel and alloy wheels (including chrome and polished wheels), anodized finishes and single stage paints.

Directions for Use:

1. After cleaning wheel and braking system, rinse thoroughly with water and let excess water drip for several seconds.

2. From a close distance, apply liberally to brake rotor surface, spraying in a sweeping motion around the rotor face at least two times.

3. The liquid may fizz as it reacts with the iron rotor. Finally, wipe any excess liquid inside wheel.

Precautions:

Protect against frost or freezing. Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot wheels.

POSSIBLE EYE AND SKIN IRRITANT. Contains Sodium Nitrite. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Use in well ventilated areas. In case of eye contact rinse immediately and thoroughly with water. Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed. Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause irritation of eyes and skin. In case of skin contact, wash with soap and water. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.

Click here to purchase Hyde's Serum Rustopper.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
What are the implications with regard to performance of the brakes?
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I love the performance of something like this, but hate the fact that you have to do it after every wash.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
That's the first question that popped into my head.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
I'm sure after one tap of the pedal the stuff is gone from the brakes... it's just to prevent flash rusting that one time directly after a wash. Actually a very cool product if it works. I'm gonna have to get some.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
DetailersDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
I'm sure after one tap of the pedal the stuff is gone from the brakes... it's just to prevent flash rusting that one time directly after a wash. Actually a very cool product if it works. I'm gonna have to get some.
I thought that same all I have to do is drive and hit the brakes, then the problem is all the rust from the pads hitting your inner wheels.

yup the only downside is its not permanent. we have used it on a ton of cars and no issues with performance.

its works great on newer rotors of course, it will work on beat up ones but at that point its probably time to get new rotors.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
kcox2010
synergy2011

Drives: 2011 synergy green 1ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to kcox2010
do u have to rinse it after u apply it to spray of the over spray on the wheel or just wipe off ????
Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
DetailersDomain

no rinsing after you apply it.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
DetailersDomain

Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
joeybsyc

Cool product, still haven't bit the bullet to buy some to try. I gotta wonder if a quick spritz of WD40 before beginning your wash would provide similar results...doubt it would hurt anything beyond the first tap of the brakes afterwards.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
DetailersDomain

I would not use WD40 on the brakes/rotors. The Rustopper is waterbased.

The WD40 can damage a lot more.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
HYDE16

Drives: Amazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
No implications, it is a non-oil based solution that aids in water evaporation and blocks oxidation or rust from forming on/in brake rotors or braking components (bolts/fittings). The solution dries without any film on your rotors. The minute you drive your car, your braking capability will be the same as before you washed your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I love the performance of something like this, but hate the fact that you have to do it after every wash.
The 16.9oz bottle is a value bottle, with the sprayer on a mist setting it will last for many applications. It requires regular use just like soap, spray wax, tire gloss etc. There will never be a product to prevent rust which will last an extended period of time, for that to happen it would have to coat the rotors similar to a paint or zinc coating and would reduce the safety and performance of the braking system.

Quote:
The solution dries without any film on your rotors so there's nothing to remove by using the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcox2010 View Post
do u have to rinse it after u apply it to spray of the over spray on the wheel or just wipe off ????
Directions are simple, soap and wash your wheels/brakes, rinse thoroughly with water, spray Rustopper on the brake rotors and components while still wet.

Quote:
Cool product, still haven't bit the bullet to buy some to try. I gotta wonder if a quick spritz of WD40 before beginning your wash would provide similar results...doubt it would hurt anything beyond the first tap of the brakes afterwards.
WD40 is a penetrating oil, using an oil based compound on brakes is absolutely unsafe as it will reduce friction of the rotor and will soak into the brake pads. WD40 may also stain chrome, paint, single stage paint, plasti-dipped, anodized or powder coated wheels/calipers/rotor hats. Rustopper does not affect any of these surfaces.
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
joeybsyc

Thanks for the clarification... Would love to sample some of this stuff.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
The description says its safe on single stage paints. Anyone know what's on the black ZL1/1LE wheels? What if I've sealed my painted wheels, will it react and leave a cloudy finish? I assume its safe for painted calipers but what about body panels? Is it not clear coat safe so you'd need to be really careful about overspray?