Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #197
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
To those who think the production SS looks too different from the concept, and I know it's already been said by Scott and many others, but regulations required several changes. Personally, I think the Camaro team did an AMAZING job considering what had to be done to make it street legal.

On top of that, I don't know who here has actually sat in, much less driven, the concept, but I'm sure in all of their testing and designing, the Camaro team made some changes simply for day-to-day driving reasons. I personally have never seen the concept in person, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a pain to drive as a daily driver (blind spots and what not). I'm sure Scott could comment, if he hasn't already. Regardless, everyone here has to be able to at least admit that this Camaro is quite possibly the closest any company has ever come to making the production car look like the concept...

I agree, as for the changes for day-to-day driving reasons, here is a photo from Kevin Kolvenbach photo album showing just how "easy" it is to get in and out of the concept, look how far back the drivers seat is leaning so Scott can get out.

Photo courtesy of Kevin Kolvenbach

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #198
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
To those who think the production SS looks too different from the concept, and I know it's already been said by Scott and many others, but regulations required several changes. Personally, I think the Camaro team did an AMAZING job considering what had to be done to make it street legal.

On top of that, I don't know who here has actually sat in, much less driven, the concept, but I'm sure in all of their testing and designing, the Camaro team made some changes simply for day-to-day driving reasons. I personally have never seen the concept in person, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a pain to drive as a daily driver (blind spots and what not). I'm sure Scott could comment, if he hasn't already. Regardless, everyone here has to be able to at least admit that this Camaro is quite possibly the closest any company has ever come to making the production car look like the concept...
Agreed,

The Camaro segment from the Saving GM special on CNBC shows just how hard they tried to keep it like the Concept.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #199
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
awesome pics. Thanks Kevin and Chris. Now, the SS/RS...but, I can wait for Indy for that.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #200
the_saint

Drives: rusty
My only complaint is that the bow tie on the front takes away the aggressiveness of the SS bumper.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #201
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
Photo courtesy of Kevin Kolvenbach
Hot damn... cross drilled rotors.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #202
camaro trans am squad
Camaro/Trans Am Racing

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 00 Trans Am WS6
dear GM: i'll take a Camaro SS silver with black rallye stripez,black leather,sunroof,22 inch rimz on low profile goodyear racing tirez,2+2 stainless steel borla exaust,10 speaker bose navigatiton system,billet grille,rear spoiler if itz available,functional ram air hood "sorry Chevy i cant wait 2 modify my Camaro SS"
Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #203
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro trans am squad View Post
dear GM: i'll take a Camaro SS silver with black rallye stripez,black leather,sunroof,22 inch rimz on low profile goodyear racing tirez,2+2 stainless steel borla exaust,10 speaker bose navigatiton system,billet grille,rear spoiler if itz available,functional ram air hood "sorry Chevy i cant wait 2 modify my Camaro SS"
Dear trans am squad,
we will be happy to outfit your new Camaro as requested, the price for the requested equipment installed will only be $20,000 over asking price since we will need to equip it with a Bose radio, speakers, borla exaust, and have you rollin on 22's. We are only charging for labor...... honest.

Yours truely,
Local Stealership

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #204
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Maybe Iran jacked with the car?

While you're gracing us with your presence, might I trouble you for a question?

I've been pondering over this for awhile now, and it seems to be the case with many of GM's performance oriented cars, but is 422hp a little, how do you say, "underrated"?

well -- we learned a long time ago (unlike some people we won't mention....) that there is this thing called a "Dyno" -- and if you advertise a horsepower, you'd better be SURE you can deliver.

If we advertise 422hp -- you can write it in Granny's Bible that all cars will have at least 422 hp with that particular engine.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #205
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
ChevyDude, it's good to have you on the other side of this conversation. You really are very skeptical, and that makes your arguments that much stronger.
yeh ...you can only be honest with your assessments....even if its your side or your team you have to have intellectual integrity and tell it how it is even if it hurts feelings. You gotta shoot for the stars so you can land on the moon...and it looks like thats exactly what gm did with the camaro in my honest opinion
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #206
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro View Post
I see a little more different than the halo's:
1) Grill

Legit. Its either love it or hate it. I like it, but I can certainly see how some people are disappointed.

2) Mirrors

Because the car you have right now has too much visibility?

3) Rear quarter panels

Assuming you're talking about the vents, also legit. I think most people wanted them cut out.

4) height

Man, I'm sooo moving up to the Pacific Northwest. The speed bumps around here don't automatically flatten any time a lowered car comes along like they apparently do up there. Awesome!

5) hood length (concept look longer)

You're just looking at different angles. I'm pretty sure they're just about identical.

6) overall car length (concept look longer ... like a Jaguar)

If you were looking for a luxo land yacht, well you were looking in the wrong place. Overall length hasn't changed much if at all from the concept though, so that's just a perception issue.

7) not as sharp -- Look at cartoon drawing. Bad guys are drawn with sharp edges and points (like the concept). Good guys are drawn with rounded features (like the production). The differences are subtle, but important IMO.

Yeah I'm totally lost. I just don't see the changes.
See remarks above in red. Besides the front end of the SS and the rear vents not being cut out, I don't see any changes that weren't obviously going to happen between concept and production.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #207
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvrine View Post
Hey Kevin,
Do you know how long the Camaro will be up there in the Spring Mountains??
I'm not too far from there.
It left that Friday morning -- it is receiving a 'refresh' and will be shipped overseas to another autoshow.....
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #208
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
well -- we learned a long time ago (unlike some people we won't mention....) that there is this thing called a "Dyno" -- and if you advertise a horsepower, you'd better be SURE you can deliver.

If we advertise 422hp -- you can write it in Granny's Bible that all cars will have at least 422 hp with that particular engine.
Wow that was an exceedingly straightforward answer. I'm actually a little disappointed there wasn't a fun cryptic message to agonize over. OK I'm over it.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #209
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro View Post
Actually, 40k is what I got from the dealer for an idea on a SS prior to our build list meeting. Was hoping for the lower, but the build lists do not start here till October.

OK -- repeat after me: NOT $40,000 !

The dealer is guessing. We have not announced pricing and we don't intend to until around the first of the year.

NOT $40,000 -- this car will be very affordable.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #210
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
I like those base headlamps SOOOOO much better than the halos. RS package is not for me - yay less money to spend!
Really? I respect your opinion, but when I look at the non-halo headlights they just looks mundane and cheap to me. They actually look no more high class than those on my Aveo...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote