Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Questions about my GoPro Camera

This thread is for those of you out there who purchased the GoPro HD Motorsports HERO Camera.

I am currently having issues with wind noise. No matter where I mount the camera on the outside of my Camaro, I get wind noise at any speed faster than 20mph. If it's windy outside, it's even worse.

I'm hoping to see if anyone out there is having the same issues, and if not, where are you mounting the camera to the car? What mount are you using?

Right now, all I've tried is the suction cup mount because, honestly, I'm a bit queasy about using any of the 3M tape on the body of my car. But I've tried the suction cup mount on both of the back side windows, on the sunroof, and even suction cupped to the hood. I've tried both the waterproof and non-waterproof doors still to no avail.

Am I missing something here like a setting or some sort of trick I'm not aware of?

I have also tried using the suction cup mount inside the car on the sunroof, but then the problem is that the video shot is all upside-down and they don't have the feature update yet to make the camera auto-save the video in the correct orientation.

Also, in the box I received, there was a white part that looks exactly like the orange one they show in the "Surf HERO Expansion" that I think is referred to as the "Rubber Quick-Release Stopper Lock." Anyone know what that's for?

Last but not least, what video editing program are y'all using? At the full 1080p setting I'm getting roughly 10minutes of video per GB, which is basically making my computer (which is older) want to hurl itself out the window...

I've tried using Quicktime Pro to rotate my upside-down videos, but then it will only let me save to a .mov file, which is dumb. I can export it to mp4, but I must be picking the wrong settings because it takes several hours to "export" and when it gets done, the video quality is severely decreased...

Now that I've written a book, I can't wait to hear some recommendations
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
BFxenon.com
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
boy... where do I start?! hahahaha.

They say to use the non-waterproof case for high MPH driving. Regardless, you are still going to get wind noise, because thats almost all there is.... well, its louder than the whatever engine noise from outside the car.

As for the suction cup mount, they use these on the Formula 1 cars and I personally got over 140MPH with the camera securely on the truck. The wind forced the camera angle down a little bit, but that was my fault.

I myself have been struggling with rotating video and converting it to a .avi or .mov... I have a 43 minute video that needs to be cut down to 10-15, but cant bc the .m4p file wont open in Windows Video Maker.

So, we are in the same boat... If I did it all over again I would have both 2 non-HD cameras. The video quality is not that bad and I can edit it in Movie Maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
This thread is for those of you out there who purchased the GoPro HD Motorsports HERO Camera.

I am currently having issues with wind noise. No matter where I mount the camera on the outside of my Camaro, I get wind noise at any speed faster than 20mph. If it's windy outside, it's even worse.

I'm hoping to see if anyone out there is having the same issues, and if not, where are you mounting the camera to the car? What mount are you using?

Right now, all I've tried is the suction cup mount because, honestly, I'm a bit queasy about using any of the 3M tape on the body of my car. But I've tried the suction cup mount on both of the back side windows, on the sunroof, and even suction cupped to the hood. I've tried both the waterproof and non-waterproof doors still to no avail.

Am I missing something here like a setting or some sort of trick I'm not aware of?

I have also tried using the suction cup mount inside the car on the sunroof, but then the problem is that the video shot is all upside-down and they don't have the feature update yet to make the camera auto-save the video in the correct orientation.

Also, in the box I received, there was a white part that looks exactly like the orange one they show in the "Surf HERO Expansion" that I think is referred to as the "Rubber Quick-Release Stopper Lock." Anyone know what that's for?

Last but not least, what video editing program are y'all using? At the full 1080p setting I'm getting roughly 10minutes of video per GB, which is basically making my computer (which is older) want to hurl itself out the window...

I've tried using Quicktime Pro to rotate my upside-down videos, but then it will only let me save to a .mov file, which is dumb. I can export it to mp4, but I must be picking the wrong settings because it takes several hours to "export" and when it gets done, the video quality is severely decreased...

Now that I've written a book, I can't wait to hear some recommendations
BFxenon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Yeah, they e-mailed me and said to use the non-waterproof door to let more engine noise get to the mic and overpower the wind noise. I guess if I just have the stock exhaust, it's not going to be loud enough to overpower the wind noise, so maybe it's just an exercise in futility?

As far as video editing software, I wouldn't know where to begin anyway. My sister's boyfriend does video editing as a hobby, so I'll ask him what programs he uses. My computer's video card doesn't have enough RAM to play back the video without being choppy, so I may just have to have him do it all for now until I get a new computer at some point in the future.

I will keep you posted though. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person with this wind noise issue.

If anyone else has some tips or pointers, I'd be glad to hear them!

I hope I'm not turning anyone off of these cameras. The video quality is excellent with these cameras. At the full 1080p setting, the video looks crystal clear on my 50" Sony LCD HDTV. It's truly amazing considering the size and price of the camera.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote