Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #85
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
I highly doubt the rest of the Camaro owners who want Recaro seats would agree with this.

They'd at least need to be power.
Power is nice to have, but then again if we are the only ones that drive our cars, once we get the seat adjusted where we want it, we never move it, so.......

I just figured that if we left out the power controls, would that then make the price more reasonable?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #86
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Any idea (just a ballpark figure) what a Recaro option MIGHT be?
You laugh at $1500, would we be talking $2000? $2500?
I might still be interested...

Above $3000 and I might say....... nevermind....
But you never know..... Probably would depend on just how fancy the seats are.

Don't need no cooling
Don't need no heating
Doesn't even need have to have power.

CTS-V Recaros are $3,400 --

To make the seat manual (after removing the power mechanisms) would add more cost........
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #87
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Power is nice to have, but then again if we are the only ones that drive our cars, once we get the seat adjusted where we want it, we never move it, so.......

I just figured that if we left out the power controls, would that then make the price more reasonable?
But you know that people are going to want power. I can guarantee it-- look at the stink over the power seats that happened before.

And I'm sure they'll want heat as an option too... just driving the price up. While there are plenty of minimalists around, a lot of guys want every loaded option... sigh.

If I had the Recaros I'd want power, but I could care less about heated/cooled. I mean, it's cool and all, but I'm not gonna die without it....

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #88
kgilley09

Drives: 99 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

To make the seat manual (after removing the power mechanisms) would add more cost........
I for one would still be willing to go $3,400 for them. My opinion on that one is that you're already looking at buying a ~$60k car, what's another couple grand, but I may be on my own in that opinion. If so, I fully understand GM not wanting to consider this as an option, but I still feel that it could be good for GM as well as good for those of us who are interested in them. I understand and fully respect all the points that you have made to this point Scott, and I'm truly not trying to make your life any more difficult or get people talking trash, I'm just trying to fight for something that I believe would be nice to have on the car. Bottom line is with or without the Recaro's, I will be buying a ZL1 in another 1.5-2 years, but I have a lot more faith in the job that you guys would do implementing them than what I could have done aftermarket.
kgilley09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #89
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
How about memory seats.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #90
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:

Throw in a nice 5-point harness with that price and I'd go for it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #91
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I know on the 2012 GT500, the Leather Recaros are a $1595 option.

That being said, even it if itsn't for this model year, I think GM Should look at doing something like this and offer it as an option for new MY .. (although I think they would rock in the current model).

I understand that it must be difficult (actually impossible) to make everyone happy and you can't possibly offer ever option people want. However, I do think enthusists at least would check off a Manual recaro seat option. It would probably keep weight down vs something with electronics in it ... I'm sure you all have much more data and can gauge what would work and what wouldn't ... I would assume that GM would work with Recaro and come up with a seat specific to the camaro and maybe it wouldn't cost as much as the CTS-V seats ..

I for one though would have loved this option wether it was a 1500 fully manual seat or a 3k seat with some nicer features

Crowley
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #92
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
How about memory seats.
How about 'em?!

I plead "guilty as charged" as one of a handful of folks interested in non-6-way-powered 1LS-type seats for a "performance/track version" (read: ZEE).

"Why in heaven's name, boy?!"

As Mr. Settlemire correctly reports (and I summerize), "Can't please all the people all of the time"...in fact, for track-inspired seating, very few OEM-selected seats will even please "some"! And the anecdotal comments about the GT 500 and CTS-V Optional seating support that...

Seats, like the things that sit in them, as a totally personal deal, where "one size fits some/most", without getting into very adjustable versions that weigh lots and co$t lots. And even then, at $3000+ a pair, there will be those (rightly) dissatified with them. Don't "fit right", "aren't comfortable for short/medium/long drives"...yadayada...and ALL valid comments by those making them!

So...build 'em with the "cheap seats", the non-6-way 1LS seats and, if you really-really want a personally comfortable/supportive/good-for-miles-and-smiles pair of seats, then spend what it takes, or what you can afford, and get YOUR personal preference...with matching rear seat material (readily available), if you choose, and if you're that "concerned".

The non-6-way seats DO have side airbags, DO have the lowest weight, DO come with OEM tracks that the aftermarket has complementary adaptors available for, DO cost less than any other OEM-supplied seat, do NOT have heat/ventilation (they're cloth after all, so who drives their "racer" in sub-Arctic conditions?), and do NOT slip-n-slide like "traditional" leather seats do.

Want a true "track seat"? Go pick one...and you haven't spent an extra DIME for something you WON'T be happy with.

Want something from the Factory? Leather? Pick the 2SS-type trim. 6-ways, both sides (woohoo!), heaters..."NOW we're smiling!"...

Want something "even MORE/BETTER"? Now, we're into myriad problems, as mentioned above...

Here's some insight that people fail to comprehend. In 1969 a 6-cylinder Base Camaro Coupe sold for less than $2700...WOW, you say?! Know what that SAME car would have listed for, with as-equal-to-2012-as-possible STANDARD equipment?

Ready?

I don't think so...

OVER $5,000! About $500 MORE than a Base '69 VETTE...

FACT...

No 6-speed/ABS/Stability Control/Airbags/Traction Control/Radial Tires...and on and ON...and maybe 20 mpg...

Factoring inflation, that 250" straight-6, 4-speed manual '69 Camaro would top $30K...and run 17s-18s in the 1/4...tada!!

"The Good Ol' Days"...weren't, necessarily...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 04-09-2012 at 12:34 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #93
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgilley09 View Post
I for one would still be willing to go $3,400 for them. My opinion on that one is that you're already looking at buying a ~$60k car, what's another couple grand, but I may be on my own in that opinion. If so, I fully understand GM not wanting to consider this as an option, but I still feel that it could be good for GM as well as good for those of us who are interested in them. I understand and fully respect all the points that you have made to this point Scott, and I'm truly not trying to make your life any more difficult or get people talking trash, I'm just trying to fight for something that I believe would be nice to have on the car. Bottom line is with or without the Recaro's, I will be buying a ZL1 in another 1.5-2 years, but I have a lot more faith in the job that you guys would do implementing them than what I could have done aftermarket.
Man, I quoted this to save some time. Completely agree!
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #94
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
$3400 is a lot of money but I think I would get them at that price. One of the few complaints I’ve heard about the car so far is the support offered from the seats under high lateral loads on the track, so I’d be willing to pay for to remedy that.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #95
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
What I'd really like to hear is a comparison between recaros and the current seats in the ZL1.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #96
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
In 1969 a 6-cylinder Base Camaro Coupe sold for less than $2700..
For the record, the MSRP of the base Camaro Coupe in 1969 was $2,727.00. For comparison, a fully loaded 1969 Camaro SS396 (L78) Convertible had an MSRP of $4,428.00.

It would be interesting to know how many base Camaro Coupes in 1969 were sold with no options, and what the average selling price of those Camaros was. Although, I doubt that many 1969 Camaros were actually sold without any options.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #97
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Well you know, back in the day, an ashtray was standard and a lap belt was an option ...
Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #98
camarocam

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Well said!

Quote:
Most on the team love the idea.

The problem is this:

(....and I ask someone who has a few minutes to count up the number of posters thusfar on this thread...)

Some think we're foolish to offer heated seats.

Others can't understand why we don't have cooled seats.

And then a couple of people don't understand the power seats?

(...anyone remember the uproar of not offering a power passenger seat????)

Some say "I'll pay $1500 for the recaro seats!"

(.....yes, and I'd LOVE a date with Ivanka Trump.............. to both I say: wwwaintgonnahappen.com )

Another wants yellow stitching rather than red.............

OH YES! And then there are those who slam us about the 'weight' of the car -- and THEN in the next breath tell me that they want:

>hideaway headlights
>cooled seats
>memory seating
>(insert option here that adds more weight......)

(......shoot me now...........)

...and then there's the "Hardy Perennial" complaint that we use 'cheap leather' on our seats. (which is completely untrue...)

Putting thicker bolsters on the car will increase the wear on leather/vinyl/cloth........

.............see where I'm going with this?

We have to make some hard decisions.....and invariably they're never easy.

Don't give up hope - but on the other hand, just because we don't offer what one of you personally wants does not mean we're 'pathetic' or some other such word that implies we're clueless.

That's simply not true - and I think if you consider what I'm saying here, you'll understand more on why things happen -

Another good example: if you start a poll about key-start versus push-button start, you'll get all sorts of opinions - and then someone will say "well! offer it as an option!"
.......and that's when a Camaro priced in the mid-twenties inches up and up and up..................................

MEMO TO DRAGONEYE: I want the above to be inscribed on my Tombstone......

Well said and thanks for Reminding us of the difficulty Chevy faces in trying to make everyone happy while also keeping prices in check to stay profitable. I think Chevy has done a great job at understanding what the customer wants (prime example the ZL1) and although it is tough to make everyone happy I believe that they have definitely addressed the primary wants of the targeted owner. Thank you for your input on this site. It is nice to be able to have communication with Chevrolet through you.
camarocam is offline   Reply With Quote