Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
No, I'm at spec all the way around. I checked it with my old round dial gage and it agrees with the TPMS readings. They filled me with nitrogen so in theory it should be more stable.
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
Dallas90

The traction drop due to temp is pretty abrupt. It's got to be a chemistry problem, they were willing to give up cold wx traction to gain something else. But it doesn't seem to be warm wx traction that they gained.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I only got 11k out of my Pirelli but I wasn't gentle with them either. I went with BFG Comp 2 and like them better. Next time I'll probably try the new Mickey Thompson sport tires. There is a lot of good reviews for them.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #32
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I only got 11k out of my Pirelli but I wasn't gentle with them either. I went with BFG Comp 2 and like them better. Next time I'll probably try the new Mickey Thompson sport tires. There is a lot of good reviews for them.

I just mounted Hankook V12's on my SS and Sky two weeks a go. Made a big difference on both cars in how it rides and handles, for the better. I wanted the BFG's but they have been discontinued, and everybody is out of stock on the 275's. So far I like the Hankooks so much, I may even go with them on the ZL1 as well, unless BFG comes out with an updated model.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #33
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
The traction drop due to temp is pretty abrupt. It's got to be a chemistry problem, they were willing to give up cold wx traction to gain something else. But it doesn't seem to be warm wx traction that they gained.
Totally agree! Without incriminating myself I'll just say that I no longer turn off my nannies; I used to love driving her with them off! That is until the stock tires(Pirelli's) failed me miserably. They are pure garbage IMO and I'll never, ever spend a penny on the name ever again! I've read stories of them failing in cooler weather and I have firsthand knowledge of it! Drivers beware is all I'll say.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #34
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Maybe you could've gotten a deal from the dealer when you were working out the financials, but here's how that goes. You say I want some different tires, and say give me $500 off on that, of course then they don't come down on the price of the car by $500, basically a wash. It's the way of the world.

My very serious advice, go to the drag strip, do burnouts to your heart's content, then pick out tires that will make you happy.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
Dtowndog420

Drives: SBM 09 G8 GT/RH 15 SS 1LE
Should of gotten the 1le!
Dtowndog420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #36
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Probably should have stuck with a Mini van or PT Cruiser ...
Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #37
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Last month I bought my first new car in more than 10 years. 2013 Victory Red, 2SS, RS, Black Rally Stripes, Hurst short throw, Dual mode. Overall, I love the car. Now i'm still in the break in period, but I find there are a few things that bug me and one thing I hate. I'm not wild about CAGS, or Hill start assist. The big problem is I HATE the Pirelli P Zeros. Many moons ago I auto crossed and road raced so I'm pretty sensitive to the overnight flat spotting and the loss of grip as the temperature drops. Even when warm, I find them mediocre on roll in and grip, fair to poor in the wet. Short version, the car deserves better tires.
I've called the dealer (many miles away in KC) no help, except to say "we hear this all the time about these tires". They did have their accessory guy call me. He left me a voice mail that basically told me that "buying new tires are expensive" (doesn't sound like any special deal in the offing). I did send Chevy an e-mail and while I was busy they left me a voice mail and an e-mail. So...anybody have any experience on such a situation? Were they any help? I'd be willing to put up a few more bucks to get off these bad tires, but not too many .... I did just drop most of my cash on the car.
The CAGS is easy to get rid of, just buy a $12 CAGS eliminator on e-bay. Takes about 5 minutes to install. I don't think the Hill Start Assist is going to be so easy to get rid of. If you could simply turn it off, I don't think all these people would be on here complaining about it. Everybody seems to hate it. I don't think you're going to get much help from GM because you don't like your tires. After all, they're the ones who decided that these would be the best tires for the car and you bought the car with those tires on it, so it's your tires that you don't like now. Just replace them with something that you do like. If it were me, I'd wait until they're worn out. It won't take long. They don't wear that well either. Or you could replace them now and sell the old ones. There's quite a lot of demand, since they wear so quickly. Your call.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #38
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It is well known that the P-Zeros suck as the temperatures drop. But in warmer weather (summer conditions), they usually have excellent grip. Some guys even complain about having a hard time getting them to spin during the hot months of the year.

But most guys that are really into performance get aftermarket wheels (stock wheels are pretty heavy at 32 - 34 lbs) and better tires (suited to what type of performance their focused on).

Also, aggressive driving (occasional burnouts) and the P-Zeros may only last 8K miles or so. And the P-Zeros like to be heated up for increased traction (despite what most people say about street radials)
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Overnight flat spotting?

My car sat from December to march during winter and I barely noticed any. Drove a few miles and it was fine.

Ryan
+1
Old 05-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
Quote:
Last month I bought my first new car in more than 10 years. 2013 Victory Red, 2SS, RS, Black Rally Stripes, Hurst short throw, Dual mode. Overall, I love the car. Now i'm still in the break in period, but I find there are a few things that bug me and one thing I hate. I'm not wild about CAGS, or Hill start assist. The big problem is I HATE the Pirelli P Zeros. Many moons ago I auto crossed and road raced so I'm pretty sensitive to the overnight flat spotting and the loss of grip as the temperature drops. Even when warm, I find them mediocre on roll in and grip, fair to poor in the wet. Short version, the car deserves better tires.
I've called the dealer (many miles away in KC) no help, except to say "we hear this all the time about these tires". They did have their accessory guy call me. He left me a voice mail that basically told me that "buying new tires are expensive" (doesn't sound like any special deal in the offing). I did send Chevy an e-mail and while I was busy they left me a voice mail and an e-mail. So...anybody have any experience on such a situation? Were they any help? I'd be willing to put up a few more bucks to get off these bad tires, but not too many .... I did just drop most of my cash on the car.
You should go test drive a Mustang GT. talk about poor performance oem tires those are far worse. I found the P Zeros acceptable here in Az but its never cold here.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #41
Dallas90

Latest update. GM Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-10-007G. Information on Tire/Wheel Characteristics (Vibration, Balance, Shake, Flat Spotting) of GM Original Equipment Tires (Jul 13, 2012).
The document acknowledges the flat spotting problem and mentions that some tires have nylon overlays, not sure if this applies to p-zero. Got a call from GM help center but was unable to take it. Will try and get in touch with them tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #42
Dallas90

Quote:
I found the P Zeros acceptable
Damning with faint praise, but you're nicer about it than I am.