Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Was going for a G8 GT but...

Just thought I'd share.

I have a '11 RS V6. I was obsessed with getting an '09 G8 GT for the power and the much needed back seat room. That was the only option I can think of that had a corvette-like engine and uber back seat room. I found one with ridiculous low miles and I scheduled a trip out to trade my car in.

When I walked to get into my car to go trade it in, I looked at it.

hmm...

My 2011 Camaro with 312 hp, 20 mpg average, and cool styling.
vs.
A 2009 (two years older) with 355 hp, 15 mpg, and G6, bland styling.

Personally, I love the styling of the G8 but I get "Hey, can I borrow your car for the weekend" compliments from strangers all the time, including the mechanics .

Then I looked at my car a bit more. Then I got back inside the house and said "Let me just appreciate what I have". I would like to get more HP but I'd rather get hp in the 400 range. Yea I need back seat room but I'll wait until I can get what I want which is a '08 Corvette + a nice 2nd car.

So for those who are upset your Camaro V8 isn't as as fast as the ZL1 or if you have a V6 and want to upgrade, take a look out the window. That Camaro outside is yours. "Ain't she a beauty".
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Yup I feel ya... that's why I'm getting a G8 GT for the wife.

Unless I find a G8 GXP A6. Then she gets that but those are apparently like gold to find.

An '09 G8 for her and my '13 1LE for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
I find myself ogling over G8 GT's on the few rare occasions when I see them, I cant say the same thing about V6 5th gens as they are everywhere especially once the rent a car place got a whole fleet of them and have become played out in my area of California.

I would personally go for it and never look back especially with all of the torque the G8 has that your V6 Camaro will never be able to duplicate.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
If I was looking for a four door car when I bought my 2010 SS Camaro I would have a GXP. Now I would look at the Chevy SS which I got to sit in this weekend and it is a lot nicer looking car on the inside. It comes with the LS3 415 HP fully loaded only.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
TastyBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
I find myself ogling over G8 GT's on the few rare occasions when I see them, I cant say the same thing about V6 5th gens as they are everywhere especially once the rent a car place got a whole fleet of them and have become played out in my area of California.

I would personally go for it and never look back especially with all of the torque the G8 has that your V6 Camaro will never be able to duplicate.

That G8 I wanted had EVERYTHING I wanted and it it had 16k on it. And, yes, it sold two days ago.

True, torque is a selling point.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I love G8's...Until I get into one and want to drive it through the front door of GM and ask WTF were you thinking with that cheap ass interior! (Or at least the one I test drove sucked) Here's to hoping the Chevy SS is all it's cracked up to be. I can't wait to get my hands on one!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
So for those who are upset your Camaro V8 isn't as as fast as the ZL1 or if you have a V6 and want to upgrade, take a look out the window. That Camaro outside is yours. "Ain't she a beauty".
Thanks man, this made my day. the grass is always greener..
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Just thought I'd share.

I have a '11 RS V6. I was obsessed with getting an '09 G8 GT for the power and the much needed back seat room. That was the only option I can think of that had a corvette-like engine and uber back seat room. I found one with ridiculous low miles and I scheduled a trip out to trade my car in.

When I walked to get into my car to go trade it in, I looked at it.

hmm...

My 2011 Camaro with 312 hp, 20 mpg average, and cool styling.
vs.
A 2009 (two years older) with 355 hp, 15 mpg, and G6, bland styling.

Personally, I love the styling of the G8 but I get "Hey, can I borrow your car for the weekend" compliments from strangers all the time, including the mechanics .

Then I looked at my car a bit more. Then I got back inside the house and said "Let me just appreciate what I have". I would like to get more HP but I'd rather get hp in the 400 range. Yea I need back seat room but I'll wait until I can get what I want which is a '08 Corvette + a nice 2nd car.

Yes she is, and I love every minute I'm in her.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
TastyBake

I test drove one and I simply was not impressed with the power. The actual drive was nice but it still felt like a dog. I was very disappointed it didn't live up to the hype. Funny thing is I still want it...a bit.

Reality doesn't seem to match what I was told on the internets and I'm not sure how to handle it.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
A friend of mine is selling his G8 Gxp its the maroonish color or the crystal red tint coat color I believe. It has 70kmiles on it and imo asking way too much for it. he wants 29k for it.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Rwarchol

Drives: 2010 1LT SIM A6, 2005 GTO TR A4
Quote:
I test drove one and I simply was not impressed with the power. The actual drive was nice but it still felt like a dog. I was very disappointed it didn't live up to the hype. Funny thing is I still want it...a bit.

Reality doesn't seem to match what I was told on the internets and I'm not sure how to handle it.
Don't forget the engine is tuned for 87 octane which is why it has a lower HP than most 6.0 L engines would. I've always read the GT was a dog because of it's poor transmission tuning but a 93 tune and tranny tune and it acts like the car should.
Rwarchol is offline   Reply With Quote