Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
tdp1

Drives: 2012 SS
I've had the 07 Vette Convertible. 09 ZO6, 10 ZR1. I got rid of them and now have a 12 SS/RS. I think the Vettes are a totally different car with a different purpose. Speed and more speed! They are a blast to drive but to me they are an expensive toy and not practical to drive that much. If I had an unlimited income I would definately have another Vette and may still in the future. I have owned a Vette for a long time. I guess time will tell whether I get another one. I do know, that if I do I will also keep the SS. Not to mention the mods and individuality one can place on the Camaro. There was nothing more I could do to the ZR1 to personalize it. It already had everything. The cost is also 1/3 of the Z. If money wasn't an issue, I'd have all of them!
tdp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #16

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
5th gen Camaro and C6 Corvette use the same engine now. Hell, when the camaro was just a gleam in the eye of GM the C6 was switching over to the LS3. I believe it was the 2008 model year when they switched. So your argument is flawed. I also think the Corvette's LS3 makes a tad more power.
What makes my argument flawed?

The OP is comparing a LS2 Vette (pre 2008 as you mentioned) to a Camaro SS which only comes with a LS3/L99.
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 880 View Post
What makes my argument flawed?

The OP is comparing a LS2 Vette (pre 2008 as you mentioned) to a Camaro SS which only comes with a LS3/L99.
I'm dyslexic My bad. Fine.

The LS2 in the corvette still had 400 HP, and is much lighter. It was still as fast, if not faster than an SS. I still think your argument is flawed. I think the feel of power is going to be the same on the two cars. I see it as SS=LS2 The fast list for the SS on this site, and the fast list on Corvette forums is nearly the same.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
JKBUMBLEBEE
TEAM LLT ! NY5thGEN

Drives: 2011 3.6L V6 328HP Camaro
i was going to get a 2012 2LT vette.. then i seen the 09 gt-r .. just saying
Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Blue Demon

Drives: 2006 Corvette
We have both, I have a 2006 C6 LeMans Blue Coupe and my wife has a 2010 Rally Yellow 6M 2SS/RS. There is no comparing the two head to head as they are two different cars. Both have their great features but there is really no comparision IMO.
Blue Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I'm dyslexic My bad. Fine.

The LS2 in the corvette still had 400 HP, and is much lighter. It was still as fast, if not faster than an SS. I still think your argument is flawed. I think the feel of power is going to be the same on the two cars. I see it as SS=LS2 The fast list for the SS on this site, and the fast list on Corvette forums is nearly the same.
Not being rude but Ive seen bolt on ls2 corvettes run high 10 and low 11. i dont think the ss can compare. but they are also two different classes.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
A C6 Corvette will run circles around any stock Camaro SS.
Even my '96 LT4 Corvette will outrun my '11 2SS.

As good as the Camaro is, those Corvettes are just a much lighter car.
I can testify to the LT4. I owned a Grand Sport back in 1996 and bone stockit went 12.94 at 110 miles per hour. Both my c5 Corvettes were high 12.90 cars at around 111 stock. Sometimes weight wins over horsepower. Same can be said about a c6 corvette with an ls2.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
plan-b
No Compromise

Drives: '04 996 C4S, '11 2SS Convertible
I've owned both. Had a 2005 C6 and do miss it quite a bit. I bought the Camaro SS because I missed owning a V8.

The Vette is faster all around. At pretty much every rev range, I could've pinned myself to the seat. It made me crap my pants on numerous occasions. It has better steering feel. The suspension is sportier. It even works slightly better as a daily driver because you can see/feel all four corners of the car and not constantly worry about bashing it. Fuel mileage is even better (it's way more aerodynamic and almost half a ton lighter). In coupe form, the huge trunk area is surprisingly practical. It had more HUD options too. The clutch takeup was better on the Vette, smoother than the Camaro. On mine, reliability was a bit of a pain due to a mysterious ailment we called DBS, or dead battery syndrome. I don't know if GM or the Vette enthusiasts ever figured out what the deal was with the '05s though. You had to do this silly "shift to reverse" dance when you parked it to shut everything down. Seriously, it was really stupid, whatever engineer decided on that should've gone back to school. But with that said, it's still more of a GT car than a "sports" car so I followed my boyhood dream and bought a used Porsche 911 to replace it.

My Camaro is a convertible so there are some comparisons that won't quite fit against the Vette. It's fun for an obviously different reason. I love driving the Vette with the roof off but man was it a pain to do. Even without carrying passengers in the back, the Camaro is a little more practical. Friends of mine who've ridden in both comment that the Camaro is more comfortable. Not surprisingly, the guys preferred riding in the Vette, the gals prefer riding in the Camaro. The interior quality of the Camaro is better than my '05 Vette was. The leather is nicer, the dash & trim materials are nicer and it feels overall more solid. It should given how much heavier it is. The Camaro's "premium" sound system is so much better than the Vette's Bose was. Choosing Boston Acoustics was a stroke of genius.
plan-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Noticed a zr1 for sale used for only 86k think i'll have to test drive it and report back. Though never a fan of sports cars or being that low to the ground with these horrible roads.
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
ss409cid

Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
Two different cars, I love my Vette and my Camaro for different reasons. I really prefer the Vette on windy roads, it is a handeling machine. The Camaro is good on a windy road, but is not as good as the Vette. The Camaro is more fun as boulevard cruiser, light to light. The Camaro gets more attention than the Vette, probably because there are fewer of them around. I have nothing bad to say about either one.....
Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #25
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Sold my '09 C6 for the SS. As much as I like the SS and the backseat has come in handy (reason I bought the Camaro), I still miss my vette. The kick-in-the-ass power of a vette is very addicting, along with the stares you get when driving in one (Camaro's are a little more common in this area). I will be getting the C7 when it comes out (after a few months to let them work the bugs out) but I'll likely keep the SS as well for my DD.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Oh, man. Thanks for the stories.

I thought last night of getting a 06 GTO for 16k and putting a S/C on it but I realized I'd have to own it. Eh.

I'd better test drive the SS.

Any more stories, please post.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
LWM

Drives: #54 ZL 550 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS,GIF
Own a 2010 2SS RS ZL 550 and a 2011 Grand Sport Corvette. No comparison between the two.......Corvette is in a class of it's own. My ZL 550 with headers/crossover can give it a good hard run in the straight away....but never hold up on autocross. Now a game changer will be the 670 HP package currently being installed at Lingenfelter on the Vette! Love them both.....but believe it or not ...the Camaro is more comfortable to me....
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBUMBLEBEE View Post
i was going to get a 2012 2LT vette.. then i seen the 09 gt-r .. just saying
GTR is nice if you like to be driven by the car. It's a money pit too even if you had the money it's still ridiculous. Plus the gtr up until 2013 with the power boost is meh at best from a roll. I have said bye bye to many a gtr it's really not all that fantastic IMO.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote