Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Runner View Post
Why not just get a new charger? It's lightyears ahead of the G8

Sent from BigNorm's iPhone
Not quite. The G8 still drives way better than the R/T and its likely a drivers race at the track. My G8 ran a 13.3@104 with all season tires, a CAI and axle backs.

1) Gas mileage is not bad as long as you keep out of the gas. I would average right at 18 for my driving. I get around 16 with my GTO now.

2) I just used regular. Mine was not tuned for it so no need to run it.

3) I only got bored with the auto which is why I have a manual GTO now.

As for the one being sluggish, there was either something wrong with it or you drove a V6.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #16
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Not quite. The G8 still drives way better than the R/T and its likely a drivers race at the track. My G8 ran a 13.3@104 with all season tires, a CAI and axle backs.

1) Gas mileage is not bad as long as you keep out of the gas. I would average right at 18 for my driving. I get around 16 with my GTO now.

As for the one being sluggish, there was either something wrong with it or you drove a V6.
have you driven a 2011 and up charger lately? any trim? I'd have to disagree on this
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:

I am sorry, but Rapid runner is right. The old Charger and G8 put down pretty similar numbers, the 11+ Charger is worlds ahead of the 06-10 models. It is constantly compared to BMWs from when BMWs were actually about driving. The interior makes the old G8 interior look as dated as it is. Also stock R/Ts have hit as quick as 13.2 bone stock.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
have you driven a 2011 and up charger lately? any trim? I'd have to disagree on this
Yup. The R/T is over 300lbs heavier than the G8. The steering feel just isnt there compared to the G8 as well. The best thing about it were the seats as they were plenty comfortable. Plus, the R/T with the 5 speed just flat out sucks now. Still no confirmation that the 8 speed is coming to them for the '15s. Its almost slower than the Camaro V6. Of course, that is for a base R/T and not a road and track model which gets different gears and so on.

You can get a great deal on them so if you have to have a new car go for the Charger but be prepared to get zilch on trade in. That is the perils of a car that has a 60-70% fleet rate.

I was looking at buying a 2012 R/T before I bought the GTO so Im not just shooting from the hip. I passed on the Charger because of the above things. I still like the way they look in certain colors but it just wasnt the sporty feeling car for me.

Now, if you are talking about the V6/8speed its a different story. Charger all the way. Charger V6>G8 V6. G8 GT>Charger R/T
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
Stew

Quote:
Yup. The R/T is over 300lbs heavier than the G8. The steering feel just isnt there compared to the G8 as well. The best thing about it were the seats as they were plenty comfortable. Plus, the R/T with the 5 speed just flat out sucks now. Still no confirmation that the 8 speed is coming to them for the '15s. Its almost slower than the Camaro V6. Of course, that is for a base R/T and not a road and track model which gets different gears and so on.

You can get a great deal on them so if you have to have a new car go for the Charger but be prepared to get zilch on trade in. That is the perils of a car that has a 60-70% fleet rate.

I was looking at buying a 2012 R/T before I bought the GTO so Im not just shooting from the hip. I passed on the Charger because of the above things. I still like the way they look in certain colors but it just wasnt the sporty feeling car for me.

Now, if you are talking about the V6/8speed its a different story. Charger all the way. Charger V6>G8 V6. G8 GT>Charger R/T

Whoa, your facts, particularly about the fleet sales, are totally off......
Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Whoa, your facts, particularly about the fleet sales, are totally off......
Sorry, do you have anything to add with regards to facts?

http://www.nada.com/b2b/NADAOutlook/...-Industry.aspx

2011 it was 41% and that was just RENTAL fleet sales. I tried to find some more recent info but that is it. However, in 2010 Dodge's fleet sales were 58% of the companies sales. Not good.

Dodge has the stats of a RWD R/T at 14.0@99. The G8 was 13.8@101. Like I said, mostly a drivers race. Also, like I said, the Road and Track model is a little faster than the base R/T. If you show me a bone stock Charger R/T with a 13.2 I can show you the fastest bone stock G8 GT at 13.3.

As far as the BMW comment, the G8 was compared with the 5 series as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Stew

Quote:
Sorry, do you have anything to add with regards to facts?

http://www.nada.com/b2b/NADAOutlook/...-Industry.aspx

2011 it was 41% and that was just RENTAL fleet sales. I tried to find some more recent info but that is it. However, in 2010 Dodge's fleet sales were 58% of the companies sales. Not good.

Dodge has the stats of a RWD R/T at 14.0@99. The G8 was 13.8@101. Like I said, mostly a drivers race. Also, like I said, the Road and Track model is a little faster than the base R/T. If you show me a bone stock Charger R/T with a 13.2 I can show you the fastest bone stock G8 GT at 13.3.

As far as the BMW comment, the G8 was compared with the 5 series as well.
LOL, whatever you say, just like the Charger most G8s are high 13 second cars at best, 13.3-13.4 are rare, like the 13.2 on the Charger. the only real difference performance wise between a Charger R/T and one with the Road and Track package is gearing period. 2.65s vs 3.06, not a huge disparity. Even the far heavier AWD cars are 13 second cars now. As for fleet sales, Chrysler, Dodge etc is now WELL below Ford and GM in fleet sales, here is some more recent information for you.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...r-july-results

Oh, and I actually LOVE the G8 GT and when it came out it rocked the industry as much as the 300C did in 05, but it is 5 years later and as much as the 300 is outdated, so now is the G8, as will the current Charger be when the get refreshed for 15 which BTW WILL include the 8 speed auto across the board....
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
bballr4567

Quote:
LOL, whatever you say, just like the Charger most G8s are high 13 second cars at best, 13.3-13.4 are rare, like the 13.2 on the Charger. the only real difference performance wise between a Charger R/T and one with the Road and Track package is gearing period. 2.65s vs 3.06, not a huge disparity. Even the far heavier AWD cars are 13 second cars now. As for fleet sales, Chrysler, Dodge etc is now WELL below Ford and GM in fleet sales, here is some more recent information for you.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...r-july-results

Oh, and I actually LOVE the G8 GT and when it came out it rocked the industry as much as the 300C did in 05, but it is 5 years later and as much as the 300 is outdated, so now is the G8, as will the current Charger be when the get refreshed for 15 which BTW WILL include the 8 speed auto across the board....
One month doesnt make a trend. Plus, that is for the WHOLE brand, not just the Charger. However, is it a coincidence that the fleet sales dropped and so did the sales of the Charger? It dropped 19% YoY and 47% from the month prior.

Also, go to any Charger forum and you will see as high as 14.2s in a NEW R/T. Im failing to see where anything I said performance wise was wrong, in fact, you just admitted it. I never mentioned anything about the AWD because the OP asked about the G8 which is only available in RWD. Apples to oranges there.

Look, I said it was a drivers race and you chimed in saying that its not even close yet its a complete drivers race. 361HP 6 speed vs 370HP 5 speed. 3860 vs 4250. How that is not a drivers race is completely beyond my comprehension.

My G8 ran 8.89 completely bone stock in the 1/8. That is 13.9. With all season tires. I installed a CAI and axle backs and then promptly ran 8.69/13.3 the next week.

As I said, I was looking at purchasing a new Charger R/T in 2011. Yet, I didnt. I miss spoke earlier when I said I bought a GTO instead of the Charger. Had my car time lines messed up. I ended up with a G8 GT. I listed my reasons why I didnt purchase a R/T for the OP to see.

And yes, the '15 will HOPEFULLY have the 8 speed. We still dont know. That is over a year away.

EDIT:Just found where the stock G8 GT record is now 12.9@109.4 at Cecil. In fact, there are only two GTs that are over 14s and both are at high altitudes. Most of the G8s run between 13.8 to 13.3 with quite a few lower than that. Of course, DA probably is a big factor.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WLUY1QkE#gid=0

Last edited by bballr4567; 08-20-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
Stew

Quote:
One month doesnt make a trend. Plus, that is for the WHOLE brand, not just the Charger. However, is it a coincidence that the fleet sales dropped and so did the sales of the Charger? It dropped 19% YoY and 47% from the month prior.

Also, go to any Charger forum and you will see as high as 14.2s in a NEW R/T. Im failing to see where anything I said performance wise was wrong, in fact, you just admitted it. I never mentioned anything about the AWD because the OP asked about the G8 which is only available in RWD. Apples to oranges there.

Look, I said it was a drivers race and you chimed in saying that its not even close yet its a complete drivers race. 361HP 6 speed vs 370HP 5 speed. 3860 vs 4250. How that is not a drivers race is completely beyond my comprehension.

My G8 ran 8.89 completely bone stock in the 1/8. That is 13.9. With all season tires. I installed a CAI and axle backs and then promptly ran 8.69/13.3 the next week.

As I said, I was looking at purchasing a new Charger R/T in 2011. Yet, I didnt. I miss spoke earlier when I said I bought a GTO instead of the Charger. Had my car time lines messed up. I ended up with a G8 GT. I listed my reasons why I didnt purchase a R/T for the OP to see.

And yes, the '15 will HOPEFULLY have the 8 speed. We still dont know. That is over a year away.
Look at the stats, search around, Chrysler has been FAR lower in fleet sales than GM and Ford for a year or better. they are in the process of completely cutting out rental fleets and selling to only government/police/business fleets. So your car was a 13.9 car bone stock, the time you posted earlier was actually modified. I see. And you were making out as the G8 GT was much quicker, it is not. it is a driver's race with a standard Charger R/T with the 3.06 equipped cars having an advantage in the real world. May want to look at a few 09+ 5.7 Hemi dynos too, may be surprised...... Also the 8 speed is going to be standard across the board as is it is for the Grand Cherokee, 14 Durango, and all but the Base Hemi in the Ram (the ONLY reason there is still a 6 speed auto/Hemi is for a base Ram with a lower price, otherwise the Pentastar and Deisel have it standard as will most consumer Hemis). The Challenger's floorpan is also being modified to fit the 8 speed auto for 2015.........
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Stew

Quote:

EDIT:Just found where the stock G8 GT record is now 12.9@109.4 at Cecil. In fact, there are only two GTs that are over 14s and both are at high altitudes. Most of the G8s run between 13.8 to 13.3 with quite a few lower than that. Of course, DA probably is a big factor.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WLUY1QkE#gid=0
I call total BS on that, not only is the time totally unbleieveable, all of a sudden it is running 3-5 MPH faster than any other stock G8 GT? Faster with a higher MPG than most GXPs and Automatic Camaro SS? BULLCRAP.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
bballr4567

Quote:
Quote:
Look at the stats, search around, Chrysler has been FAR lower in fleet sales than GM and Ford for a year or better. they are in the process of completely cutting out rental fleets and selling to only government/police/business fleets. So your car was a 13.9 car bone stock, the time you posted earlier was actually modified. I see. And you were making out as the G8 GT was much quicker, it is not. it is a driver's race with a standard Charger R/T with the 3.06 equipped cars having an advantage in the real world. May want to look at a few 09+ 5.7 Hemi dynos too, may be surprised...... Also the 8 speed is going to be standard across the board as is it is for the Grand Cherokee, 14 Durango, and all but the Base Hemi in the Ram (the ONLY reason there is still a 6 speed auto/Hemi is for a base Ram with a lower price, otherwise the Pentastar and Deisel have it standard as will most consumer Hemis). The Challenger's floorpan is also being modified to fit the 8 speed auto for 2015.........
Care to explain the poor reading comprehension? I did not claim that my 13.3 was a stock run.

Look, you are straight up agreeing with me that the Charger is a drivers race with the G8 GT now. Yet, you first said that I was completely wrong and that the Charger was much faster with 13.2s being turned in.

I stand behind the fleet sales. The Charger is available in both rental fleets AND special service fleets. A potential owner needs to know that fact as it does damage resell value which is why you can get such great deals on them new.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
bballr4567

Quote:
I call total BS on that, not only is the time totally unbleieveable, all of a sudden it is running 3-5 MPH faster than any other stock G8 GT? Faster with a higher MPG than most GXPs and Automatic Camaro SS? BULLCRAP.
Well, I must apologize. It was not stock. The data input was probably wrong. The car ran a 13.38@104.5 completely stock. That is the fastest STOCK G8 GT time.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Stew

Quote:
Care to explain the poor reading comprehension? I did not claim that my 13.3 was a stock run.

Look, you are straight up agreeing with me that the Charger is a drivers race with the G8 GT now. Yet, you first said that I was completely wrong and that the Charger was much faster with 13.2s being turned in.

I stand behind the fleet sales. The Charger is available in both rental fleets AND special service fleets. A potential owner needs to know that fact as it does damage resell value which is why you can get such great deals on them new.
Actually you basically said the Charger was behind in all resepcts that is what is what I disagreed with and am 100% correct. And yes a base Charger and a G8 GT is a good race, but i give the lower geared examples a 10th or 2 advantage. And no, rental fleets are being phased out PERIOD. At therental lots around here they have ZERO Chryslers anymore, mainly Impalas, Camrys, and Silverados. Governemnt, police, and business fleets are NOT the ones that hurt resale, that is rental fleets. Honestly, the Charger seems to hold it's value pretty well anyways. Look at the Impala for an example of a car that rental leets have killed it's value. And yes I misread that first part about the mods and apologize. I will say the G8 GT and Charger R/T are a driver's race in a straight line and even handling, but everything else the Charger has a nice big advantage......
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
Stew

Quote:
Well, I must apologize. It was not stock. The data input was probably wrong. The car ran a 13.38@104.5 completely stock. That is the fastest STOCK G8 GT time.
It's all good.