Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #71
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Bringing this back from the dead to add to it .

So I just picked up a 1/5 Scale Rovan buggy 36CC 2 stroke . Still breaking it in .

Attached Images

Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #72
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Bringing this back from the dead to add to it .

So I just picked up a 1/5 Scale Rovan buggy 36CC 2 stroke . Still breaking it in .
I replaced all the shocks and the rear shock tower on my Traxxas Bandit. I might be recovered enough to try driving it again. With the LIPO battery, darn thing runs about 80 mph...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #73
BLK141SS

Drives: 2014 1SS M6 NPP
Raced carpet cars in the late 80's early 90's until they closed the carpet track. Got out of it after that and never messed with cars again. Been a scale model builder since I was a kid and still doing it. Or have I ever grown up?

Here is my RC12i that I restored a while back, sadly I sold all of my old cars including this one on e-Bay. I made a bunch of money though!

This is back when you actually had to build a model. You got a box of parts, some electrical wire and raw rubber tires. You had to build the entire car, solder all connections, wire your own battery pack and mount and true your own tires. The metal wire for the wing had to bent into shape using a template in the instruction manual. Most heat races lasted four to five minutes due to the limited capacity batteries. I'll bet most people don't know what a commutator truing machine is.

Here is my 1/16 Tamiya full function Tiger I. I added tons of aftermarket metal parts including the tracks so it weighs about 12lbs with two 7.5 packs for power. Firing machine gun, recoiling 88mm canon with elevation and rotating turret. Full torsion bar suspension like the real tank had and full sound effects. I did a lot of scratch building on this model, added periscopes, functional driver and machine gunner hatches, external wiring and various items that were missing from the stock kit.

Loosely based on this tank.

A small sample of the work I put into it. These latches actually rotate and lock the hatches down.

Working on a 1/16 Tamiya Kubelwagon to go with the Tiger. I scrapped the crummy Tamiya electronics and crammed a micro servo, speed control and receiver into this thing. Still have a lot of work to do.

I'm scratch building many parts like the jerry can mount.

All the electronics are hidden.

Another project that will take me months (if not longer) to complete. A huge Italeria static PT boat that I converted to R/C. I framed the interior in balsa and built watertight compartments to seal off the electronics. A single Futaba servo turns three brass rudders in unison. A Graupner geared driver powers a single prop with a Traxxas Titan 380 motor for power.

All compartments were sealed under plastic sheet.

With the speed control turned down it produces a most scale like wake under power.

Think it will work?

One of my static models, 1/24 Battle of Malta Hurricane Mk.IIC Trop. All markings were painted on using masks.

BLK141SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #74
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
just picked this up. switched from gas to electric. Properly set up, this boat can hit 80mph
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2018, 07:20 AM   #75
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Signed by Dale Earnhardt

Name:  Deicast4.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  diecast6.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  62.9 KB
Old 08-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #76
BLK141SS

Drives: 2014 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickskier View Post
Signed by Dale Earnhardt

Is that an RC10L or an Eliminator10? I had the same Lumina Body and sticker set on my Bolink Eliminator10. Awesome that Dale signed it for you! I see you're in Florida, did you ever run your cars at Whippoorwill?
BLK141SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #77
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK141SS View Post
Is that an RC10L or an Eliminator10? I had the same Lumina Body and sticker set on my Bolink Eliminator10. Awesome that Dale signed it for you! I see you're in Florida, did you ever run your cars at Whippoorwill?
It's a Composite Craft Chassis. All carbon fiber. I went to Whippoorwill once. I lived in Tampa at the time and we had a local RC track there.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #78
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
oh wow, didn't know we had a RC page!!

I've been in to RC for a long time, mostly dirt off-road. That led me to get into airbrushing. I had a little side painting biz for about 10 years then got into writing a column for RC Car magazine (RIP). I still have all of my stuff and have or have had pretty much every type of car 1/12-1/8th scale. It gives me a speed fix and something to tinker on
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #79
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I’ve had a RC10T4, Mini E-Revo VXL, and a few planes. All ended up in pieces...

Real cars and airplane have stayed together so far, lol
Old 08-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #80
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK141SS View Post
Raced carpet cars in the late 80's early 90's until they closed the carpet track. Got out of it after that and never messed with cars again. Been a scale model builder since I was a kid and still doing it. Or have I ever grown up?
Well having raced on carpet back in the 80 and 90's, if you raced in the same area you are in now, you probably knew my Brother. He was an Air Force Troop that raced RC10's and a few other models on carpet. He was sponsored by one of the local Hobby Shops in Ft Worth, and used to wind his own motors.

He tore up the tracks in the area for quite a while..... Held several track records until they closed.

Dude, the modeling work you do is amazing... Love it.... You have the patience my bother has.... Kudos to some beautiful work....

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 08-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #81
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmn View Post
oh wow, didn't know we had a RC page!!

I've been in to RC for a long time, mostly dirt off-road. That led me to get into airbrushing. I had a little side painting biz for about 10 years then got into writing a column for RC Car magazine (RIP). I still have all of my stuff and have or have had pretty much every type of car 1/12-1/8th scale. It gives me a speed fix and something to tinker on
I bought a new body for my buggy and I have been trying to figure out how to paint it.... I've been watching some youtube videos.... I bought the body right before I had my health issue and it's still in the plastic.... Figured while I'm recovering I could study up on the process.... I could give it to my brother and have it done within days, but that isn't fun.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #82
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I've done Boats and Cars in the past. Most recently, I've been doing Multicopters though (some people call them "drones"). I use it mainly for videography though. Would love to get back in to cars/boats at some point though.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #83
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
awesome. Let me know if I can steer you in the right direction.

here is my photobucket link if you need inspiration
http://s8.photobucket.com/user/joshl/library/?sort=3&page=1

joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #84
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmn View Post
awesome. Let me know if I can steer you in the right direction.
Josh, dude,

You have some mad skills.... I might just need to send my body to you with my thoughts and let you paint it.... Those are amazing.....

I'll be looking at them some more over the next couple of days....

Tags
racing, radio control, rc cars, traxxas