Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #85
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Almost forgot, here's some stuff that came in today. The three big tube are shrink rap, if you believe that. I will be using those as I progress. Purchased 10ft. of braided nylon rapping. You could see in one of the pics, one of the application I will be using it, ground battery cable. The three smaller piece are sample of different sizes I will be testing.

Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #86
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
Why solder instead of using a Butt Splice connector?
I see a lot of people soldering then putting heat rap/shrink over it vs using a butt splice connector with heat rap/shrink.
Benefit over the other?
Soldering is the right way to do it. It is the preferred splice method except for in marine environements, then butt splice connectors are preferred.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #87
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Hey, I've seen some of those mods before...

Nathan, you're doing a great job documenting the process...keep up the good work!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #88
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
Why solder instead of using a Butt Splice connector?
I see a lot of people soldering then putting heat rap/shrink over it vs using a butt splice connector with heat rap/shrink.
Benefit over the other?
A butt splice connector is too bulky. Soldering and shrink wrapping is a better connection and way more compact.

Last edited by PAUL SS; 01-30-2012 at 09:15 AM.
PAUL SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #89
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
From what I understand:

Soldering:
~better connection
~less expensive

Butt Splice connectors:
~faster to connect
~more expensive

Here's a good site for info: http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
Soldering is the right way to do it. It is the preferred splice method except for in marine environements, then butt splice connectors are preferred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
A butt splice connector is too bulky. soldering and shrink wrapping is a better connection and way more compact.
Thanks guys, good to know
Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #90
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Relocate your map sensor to the back of the intake. I did that on mind. Something I dont think anyone ever notices.
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #91
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblacksls View Post
Relocate your map sensor to the back of the intake. I did that on mind. Something I dont think anyone ever notices.
Details, pictures. Please!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #92
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Details, pictures. Please!
Here goes mine again it's on first page. No map on the front. Coils moved smooth stock valve covers.

blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #93
Moreno1

Had a pretty productive day..... all things consider. Sometime it seems like the car is fitting me all the way!

I was able to finish the drivers side harness. Just a heads up but, the connectors are not going to stay that way. Me no liky the rainbow of colors; gray, green and blue, yuk! Actually I'm redoing the hole thing. Right now, I just want to get the car on the road again. Once I'm done with the bulk of the work, I go back and redo some stuff. I'll be ordering new connectors, braided steel tubing for the wires, etc..... and do something nicer. But thats getting ahead of myself.

Once I had the harness completed, I could now focus on tidying up the wires. I used zip tides for the job.

To tuck the harness out of the way, I first disconnected the ABS harness plug. This allowed me to pull the harness over the plug and into the cavity behind the heat shield. I also removed the bolt holding the shield and pulled it forward.

Once I tuck it in there, I reinstalled the plug and bolted for the heat shield.

For the moment, I used some of the flexible nylon tubing from Home D to hide the wires. I have some of this stuff coming from Summit that's nicer.

Also got the ground cable relocated to the drivers side.

I was able to hide the EVAC solenoid on the inside of the bracket that holds the fuse box. The ARP bolt in the picture is what holding the solenoid bracket. The harness running to it is no longer visible. The hose that run from the solenoid to the intake now runs down the bottom and through the space between the water pump and engine block. It come out the top and plugs in. Sorry I don't have more detail pictures but my helper/ photographer/brother wasn't around today.

On the agenda for now is just cutting the plug wires to size.

I'll be on hold waiting for parts.

Last edited by Moreno1; 02-08-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #94
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Damn man this is turning out great.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #95
tonytahoe

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
Nathan, Just wanted to ask you what you are using for fuel rails? I thought about using some BBK rails, but I wasn't sure if I could turn them 180 to relocate the fuel line.Thanks,Tt--
tonytahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #96
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
They look like Mast.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #97
RocTrux

Drives: Summit White 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytahoe View Post
Nathan, Just wanted to ask you what you are using for fuel rails? I thought about using some BBK rails, but I wasn't sure if I could turn them 180 to relocate the fuel line.Thanks,Tt--
Yes you can turn the BBK fuel rails I have them turned on mine.

Also heres a couple of things some of you guys might like, I found this these while ordering some other stuff I'll be ordering one or the other or maybe a combo of both if I can..
http://www.w3motorsports.com/W3/Parts/CHECAMHOSV8.html
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/SFXCAMAROHOSES.htm

Last edited by RocTrux; 01-07-2012 at 10:56 PM.
RocTrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #98
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytahoe View Post
Before you do anything, you might want to wait till you see what I'm doing with my fuel lines. I will be prototyping a set-up for TechAFX which is going to be really clean looking. I should have the parts next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Damn man this is turning out great.
Thanks, more to come for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
Hey, I've seen some of those mods before...

Nathan, you're doing a great job documenting the process...keep up the good work!
Your car has definitely been an inspiration. Can't thank you enough for all your help!