Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Nitrogen also is supposed to help keep your TPMS in good working order.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gen SS View Post
The biggest advantage about Nitrogen in your tires is the fact that Nitrogen is not affected by temperature.
not as easily affected, but still affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 75 View Post
So can you put Nitrogen in any tires or do you have to have special components in the tire and wheel?
your tires already have nitrogen in them...lol

but to go to a higher mixture of nitrogen... instead of the ~78% that is already found in the air you breathe and the air inside your tires now, you just need to deflate your tires and reinflate with nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Huh? 78% Funny...Most wont get it.

Nitrogen fill at less than 95% is a waste..

Nitrogen molecules hold no moisture, less prone to temp changes and molecule is larger leading to less tire pressure fluctuation.

Beneficial? Never tried it..I prefer my 78% blend..much easier to access than time wasted waiting for a refill.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Banshee,

"I am not a chemestry major," .... too funny it's chemistry

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #18
Abygale

Drives: .
I have a 2LT, and from what I can tell it does not come with the Nitrogen in the tires. Is that correct? I recently noticed that my tires seem to be losing pressure. I just had the oil changed a week ago and the tire pressure was checked then and were all fine. Today the pressure measured cold as follows:

35 30
34 30

warmed up and reset they measured

35 32
34 32

I'm thinking about having the compressed air drained and getting Nitrogen put in them. Are there any drawbacks to having that done?? Sorry in advance for the noob question.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
I have a 2LT, and from what I can tell it does not come with the Nitrogen in the tires. Is that correct? I recently noticed that my tires seem to be losing pressure. I just had the oil changed a week ago and the tire pressure was checked then and were all fine. Today the pressure measured cold as follows:

35 30
34 30

warmed up and reset they measured

35 32
34 32

I'm thinking about having the compressed air drained and getting Nitrogen put in them. Are there any drawbacks to having that done?? Sorry in advance for the noob question.
They should be 36 cold at the least for the 20's.. How much lower is it for the 19's if you have those.. Your tire pressure could be too low if you got the RS package. BTW, don't go by the built in tire pressure monitor, it is not accurate.. Use a personal digital one that you can buy for $10 or a little more for a better one.. After refilling mine to 36psi using a digital measure, the car read them all at 37 after a reset which was good. However turn the car off, turn it back on and it was all over the place 33, 32, 38, 39 the same day.. I did a digital reading and it was still 36 cold an hour later..
Old 09-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #20
Abygale

Sorry, yes I have th RS package so the 20 in wheels and the tire pressure should be 36 in all four. This is a little troublesome for me since the pressure was fine a week ago when I had the oil changed at 1300 miles :(. Since I'm getting them looked at anyway I thought I'd switch to Nitrogen after reading up on it. Are there any drawbacks to that?

I just saw your edit. The original reading was taken this morning with a new tire pressure gauge and not the monitor in the car. I did look at the monitor in the car, then reset it, and it was pretty accurate with the gauge.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #21
SilverIce1
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Automatic
There are no drawbacks to going full nitrogen except the hassle of getting nitro when you do need it. Using nitro will help eliminate the loss of pressure from dramatic temp changes. I always just use air because it is already 78% nitro and I always check my tires on all autos once a week anyway. I have my own compressor so it is really easy to take care of.
SilverIce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
Abygale

Thanks Silver!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
SilverIce1
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Thanks Silver!!!
You bet!

I can't wait to see you again, this time with that BEAUTY of a car you have!
SilverIce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
oilman63
rjt ordered 10-15 2ss

Drives: 2010 2SS badass camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
I have mine filled with 78% nitrogen. Very easy to find/refill.
Our atmosphere is 78% -82% nitrogen
oilman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #25
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
I just rememberred my dad used to fill my pool floats AND car tires with FREON! Flat in the morning inflated in the afternoon! That was in the 70's you know. Can you imagine him getting away with now days?
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblu View Post
I just remembered my dad used to fill my pool floats AND car tires with FREON! Flat in the morning inflated in the afternoon! That was in the 70's you know. Can you imagine him getting away with now days?
..First thing that came to mind reading that was "Would be funny to do to a Prius driver that was acting high and mighty."

'You're killing the environment!'

'... And I just tripled your carbon footprint. Enjoy!'

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #27
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Pull out your tire warranty paperwork. Anything other than air put into the tires voids your warranty.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #28
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
The bad part about filling your tires with nitrogen is you can't drive your car in a lake, then use the air in the tires to breath from. No McGuiver action!

I was at Road America a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see all the nitrogen bottles there. Road racing exclusively uses it due to the thermal stability. I am presently going through all my company vehicles and changing to nitrogen. We will see first hand if there is any noticeable changes.