Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Decision Matrix: SS vs Z/28

So I'm hopefully getting a Camaro next year. Assuming that the Camaro Z/28 will also come out next year, and it will be similar to what's already been said about it, I decided to do up a decision matrix because I can't decide what I want to get.

Below is a list of features which I rated on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best). The SS scores a 5 as a base score, and then I scored the Z/28 based on my best guess:

Feature -SS- -Z/28-

Cost 5 3
Power 5 8
Handling 5 5
Style 5 7
Attracts unwanted attention 5 2
Attracts envy 5 2
Uniqueness 5 8
Insurance 5 4
Longevity of Interest 5 7
Hobby Factor (upgrades) 5 3

Total 50 49

I'm still on the fence about it, as you can see the scores are pretty even. I like to have a unique looking Camaro, and I'm thinking the Z/28 would be an inexpensive way to have a super-charged Camaro that looks different too. On the other hand, maybe I don't really need the extra power and just spending a few bucks over time on different rims etc. will meet my needs for uniqueness (the "hobby factor")?

Envy is a big thing to me. I do not want people to envy me. That's one of the reasons why I'm getting a Camaro as opposed to say a Porsche. Camaro to me is a down-to-earth blue-collar sports car that is fairly accessible to most people. On the other hand I have a diametrically opposite desire not to have something that EVERYONE has (like a Mustang). So, the Z/28 seems to be a car that is unique - but I wonder if it is a car that attracts too much unwanted attention or envy? Thoughts?

The other thing is cost. On the one hand, I don't want to spend too much money on my own pleasure. I want to spend more money on other people. So I have to achieve a balance between making others happy and my own pleasure. On the other hand however, the extra money for a Z/28 isn't too much if you spread it over 10 years or more (I'm likely to keep the car forever). The point is, I'd feel guilty at first, but after 10 years I'd probably be glad that I had the Z/28?

Anyway - hoping for some advice on my decision struggles. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
you need to add weight factors -- which of those things are more important relative to the others?

also you might come up with the total score and then divide by cost to get a "bang for the buck" measure if cost matters to you

(can't help it, I'm a quality improvement / Six Sigma guy)
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
sen10l

(please - no lectures about the verifiability of the Z/28's specs/existence. I have a whole year to wait, so I must as well chat about it while I wait and mull about the coming decision).
Old 02-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
IndyDave

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT RS
Also, you will wait longer for the Z. Who know when they will actually be available???
IndyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I wouldn't buy higher than the SS, especially since all of that extra performance will be wasted when I do an aftermarket upgrade that beats both the SS and Z28.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
you need to add weight factors -- which of those things are more important relative to the others?

also you might come up with the total score and then divide by cost to get a "bang for the buck" measure if cost matters to you

(can't help it, I'm a quality improvement / Six Sigma guy)
I'm a yellow belt six sigma. You're right, I could come up with better numbers but in the end I think the numbers are just a gut feeling of my own perceptions on the matter, so coming up with a more accurate formula won't mean much (since Six Sigma is more about objective analysis rather than subjective value).
Old 02-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post

Envy is a big thing to me. I do not want people to envy me. That's one of the reasons why I'm getting a Camaro as opposed to say a Porsche. Camaro to me is a down-to-earth blue-collar sports car that is fairly accessible to most people. On the other hand I have a diametrically opposite desire not to have something that EVERYONE has (like a Mustang). So, the Z/28 seems to be a car that is unique - but I wonder if it is a car that attracts too much unwanted attention or envy? Thoughts?
Can you elaborate on this (you don't have to, but otherwise it seems this makes everything else moot)? Why does it matter what other people think?
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I wouldn't buy higher than the SS, especially since all of that extra performance will be wasted when I do an aftermarket upgrade that beats both the SS and Z28.
that's one of the things I'm thinking about. On the one hand, over time it might be fun to upgrade the SS to the car I want - like a long-term hobby. But on the other hand the Z/28 would be very close to the car I'd end up modding to - so why not spend that money up front on the Z/28 and get a badge to go with it?

Those are the two sides of that particular coin. I think though, that I'd be leaning toward the SS on this "coin" because if in the future I wanted to devote finances toward my family or a noble cause, I had the choice not to spend on upgrades. However, if I had already spent the money on the Z/28, then well I won't have that cash.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
Can you elaborate on this (you don't have to, but otherwise it seems this makes everything else moot)? Why does it matter what other people think?
I know a couple of people who are douches. They like to compare what they have with you. Because of my childhood, I never liked being put down or being made to feel inferior. Therefore I myself don't want other people to get the impression that I am making them feel inferior in any way.

On the other hand, you're right - I have to live my own life. Therefore I want to achieve a balance between my happiness and appearing too aloof/self-absorbed compared to others.

The SS will be fairly common on the streets, but the Z/28 could be perceived to be a "look at me" version of the already head-turning Camaro. I don't want to give the impression of "hey look at me because I have a small <...>"
Old 02-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
I know a couple of people who are douches. They like to compare what they have with you. Because of my childhood, I never liked being put down or being made to feel inferior. Therefore I myself don't want other people to get the impression that I am making them feel inferior in any way.

On the other hand, you're right - I have to live my own life. Therefore I want to achieve a balance between my happiness and appearing too aloof/self-absorbed compared to others.

The SS will be fairly common on the streets, but the Z/28 could be perceived to be a "look at me" version of the already head-turning Camaro. I don't want to give the impression of "hey look at me because I have a small <...>"
Sorry, but this logic is falling on deaf ears. At no point in life you should care what random (see: unimportant to YOU) people think of you. At the same time, if someone feels that they are inferior to you by your car (or really whatever reason), they have issues of their own and should be no concern of yours. I realize in saying this it's somewhat contradictory to the fact that I am saying how YOU should go about life, but yeah... just doesn't really make sense - to me.

edit: your matrix/decision, so do whatever it is you need to make the best choice.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
that's one of the things I'm thinking about. On the one hand, over time it might be fun to upgrade the SS to the car I want - like a long-term hobby. But on the other hand the Z/28 would be very close to the car I'd end up modding to - so why not spend that money up front on the Z/28 and get a badge to go with it?

Those are the two sides of that particular coin. I think though, that I'd be leaning toward the SS on this "coin" because if in the future I wanted to devote finances toward my family or a noble cause, I had the choice not to spend on upgrades. However, if I had already spent the money on the Z/28, then well I won't have that cash.
The biggest reason not to pay upfront is the fact that you'll need more money onhand. You'll be making bigger monthly payments for longer, increasing the possibility of becoming upsidedown on your loan at the end of your term. On top of that, you'll be expected to take on more of a down payment. Obviously, neither of these potential issues is a problem if you have stacks of money laying your 100-room, platinum-clad castle.

The next reason to worry about cost is the insurance. If you have an expensive, powerful car, you have even more expensive insurance.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
sen10l

what do you think the difference will be in insurance? (say comparing a BMW 330 vs a BMW M3 or a base Corvette vs a supercharged one?)

I'm good for the short-term extra expense. I can "afford it", but of course that money could always go to something else other than an upgraded Camaro. My greatest concern is that after 5 years of an SS I would get bored of it and wish I'd gotten the Z/28. I think upgrading to the Z/28 after 5 years would cost more than simply getting the Z/28 at the outset, simply because I take really good care of my cars and there's not likely to be a cheap option for me to get a Z/28 in as good condition as my car.

thanks.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
"Envy is a big thing to me. I do not want people to envy me. That's one of the reasons why I'm getting a Camaro as opposed to say a Porsche. Camaro to me is a down-to-earth blue-collar sports car that is fairly accessible to most people. On the other hand I have a diametrically opposite desire not to have something that EVERYONE has (like a Mustang)."

This logic might suggest you chould by a used AMC Pacer. Down to earth, affordable...and yet still almost no one else has one. Perhaps eBay Motors could help.

Personally, I suggest you go with the Camaro.....but a Pacer would meet your objectives and save you lots of money besides.

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote