Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
hood wrap cleaning and detailing my success story!

first off let me start off with i know this has been talked about extensively here but i am so satisfied with the results that i expierienced i had to share.
so it started off like any other friday in my garage BSing decided to take a drive to the beach it just down the road so i loaded up took the wildcat for a scenice beach cruise noticed she was quite dirty and sandy not to mention the pollen on the hood. so i stopped sprayed her off gave her a nice easy simple bath just to tremove the crap from the drive. well i get home pull her in and of course the hood looks like garbage so i remembered that i had received my adams VRT stuff in the mail so i figured what the hell i popped the hood to allow to cool down and grabbed a new sponge.
my first step was a just put about 4 lines spaced evenally down the hood and started rubbing it in using small circular patterns and it looked ok after a few min still had some spots and lines well i just kept rubbing in the Adams and after about 6- 8 minutes it was really looking good no spots no lines super clean it looked better than it did when i bought it i know my remedy now for sure .
Be sure to allow hood to cool or do it in the shade i wouldnt think it would work as good it would dry to quick IMO ...pic doesnt due it justice
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I like it better after the hood has been cleaned 2 or 3 times after the VRT has been applied. As in your photo, it's too shiny freshly applied.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
I like it better after the hood has been cleaned 2 or 3 times after the VRT has been applied. As in your photo, it's too shiny freshly applied.
completely agree with you man after a few cleanings it will tone down but still keep that solid look ( no water marks lines etc) . i hope haha. i was just ecstatic to find something to take away somw of these spots that have been making me want after cleaning her up for the shows
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Looks good though. One of the reasons I did not get the 1LE was being afraid of how the hood would look after time.

Keep up the good work.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
bluBlud

My first wash after applying VRT for the first time - the hood looked horrible again... water spots even though the hood didnt have time to air dry. I did this early morning, so the air and car were cool and it was shady. I put more VRT on and it looked good again but I don't understand how you guys are getting multiple washes between applications. I'm trying to put as little as I need to on to get even coverage. Could that be my problem... maybe the VRT is just sitting on the surface and not soaking in uniformly? On of the other threads mentioned that the vinyl is porous.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
KY1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 2SS,RS,NPP
I have been using Griots and Meguiars Quick Detailer with success. Neither leave streaks and leave the matte finish that the hood came with.
KY1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
My first wash after applying VRT for the first time - the hood looked horrible again... water spots even though the hood didnt have time to air dry. I did this early morning, so the air and car were cool and it was shady. I put more VRT on and it looked good again but I don't understand how you guys are getting multiple washes between applications. I'm trying to put as little as I need to on to get even coverage. Could that be my problem... maybe the VRT is just sitting on the surface and not soaking in uniformly? On of the other threads mentioned that the vinyl is porous.
i think you have the answer man i really put a good coat on a rubbed it in good to the vinyl
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I let it sit. I'll usually apply it, then wipe the car down or wax, and then come back and rub the hood down to knock down the shine and even it out. If I try to wipe it right away it looks terrible for some reason.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
V R T ...... +1

VRT and In and Out Spray easily the best 2 detailing items for this car!!
Oh and Disappearing wheel well spray not far behind!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Phdpsy

Drives: SW 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
Do you have the older VRT or the new "Super" VRT. The newer is much more water resistant and holds up much better if the car gets wet or is washed.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Zorns

Drives: ?
What is "Disappearing wheel well spray?"
Zorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorns View Post
What is "Disappearing wheel well spray?"
Awesome stuff.............. It's actually called Under Carriage Spray but same Idea

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-61-ad...-dressing.aspx
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Followed this Vid...

All problems solved. I noticed the SVRT needs about 5 minutes to soak in then rub off as much as you can. The 3rd or 4th applications got easier. I think there is something to the wrap needing to "soak up" X amount of the product.

I went with the Fine Machine Polish then straight to the SVRT the Brilliant Glaze didn't work the way I liked though on the wrap. It was excellent on the paint though.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
JimE

I've applied SVRT once after the first wash. Haven't needed to apply it again.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote