Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Arrow Question About Cat Back & Axle Back Exhaust Systems

- Is the resonator removed in cat back exhaust systems?
- Are mufflers the only parts that are changed in axle back systems? Nothing happens to the resonator in the axle back systems, right?

Last edited by SamSS; 12-28-2009 at 01:53 AM.
SamSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
well i am not 100% sure on this..... i think on axle back system you mainly just are changing the muffler, but you do replace piping that goes beyond the muffler.

the cat back i believe you replace all of the piping that goes all the way to the front bumper...

i really dont know much but that my guess..... sorry ...lol
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
SamSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
well i am not 100% sure on this..... i think on axle back system you mainly just are changing the muffler, but you do replace piping that goes beyond the muffler.

the cat back i believe you replace all of the piping that goes all the way to the front bumper...

i really dont know much but that my guess..... sorry ...lol
I was pretty sure that you change the mufflers basically on axle backs.

I think on the cat back systems, you change everything after the catalytic converter.
Now what's the difference between the complete cat back systems and the custom cat back systems? What happens to the resonators?

Here's a pic of the stock exhaust system (I think, not sure if it's completely stock)...

And here's what I think...

Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
check this out./....... this guy is putting on a axle

mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
yes....cat back replaces EVERYTHING from cats back. axle backs replace mufflers to tips.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
SamSS described it pretty good. I think some aftermarket cat-back systems still have a resonator. I seem to remember maybe Corsa having resonators. Mine doesn't.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
SamSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens Blvd View Post
SamSS described it pretty good. I think some aftermarket cat-back systems still have a resonator. I seem to remember maybe Corsa having resonators. Mine doesn't.
No, I was talking to an exhaust shop owner today and he said cat backs don't have resonators.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
I was pretty sure that you change the mufflers basically on axle backs.

I think on the cat back systems, you change everything after the catalytic converter.
Now what's the difference between the complete cat back systems and the custom cat back systems? What happens to the resonators?

Here's a pic of the stock exhaust system (I think, not sure if it's completely stock)...

And here's what I think...

That's sure a lot different looking than my stock L99 system (September car).

Don O
Attached Images

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don O View Post
That's sure a lot different looking than my stock L99 system (September car).

Don O

That is a stock LS3 system.
BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
SS LS3 vs L99 stock exhaust comparison

Whao, whao, whao, wait a minute here.

I thought all the SS exhaust systems were the same! Now these pics really make me question the need for a cat back system on an LS3!

The posted pics from samSS show no main resonator under the heat shield and practically straight pipes to the stock mufflers. The H pipe looks completely wrong from a flow characteristics point of view, an X pipe would work better. I guess the real sound killer are the mufflers. Anyone know what the smaller resonators look like on the inside?

Are the exhaust systems different between the two models?? Having seen this side by side comparison makes me think that all that is needed for the LS3 to roar is to delete/replace the mufflers. Am I wrong, or is buying a $1000+ cat back system for the LS3 a waste of money??

Tom
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Thats what the LS3 exhaust looks like I've seen under a 2## LS3. I'm putting an axle back (Borla Stinger) on my 2SS LS3 when it comes in. But I prefer to keep the H pipe. But I would sure like to know what those resonators look like inside also. So I can decide whether or not to have them cut out (don't mind some drone if I do). I"ve seen a post of what they look like on the L99 from a post on here. Would someone replacing there exhaust on a LS3 PLEASE cut one of the resonators off and post a picture of what it looks like through it as far as flow and sound adsorbance. Thanks
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #12
BabyHauler

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
The H pipe looks completely wrong from a flow characteristics point of view, an X pipe would work better.
I belive the H pipe in the center is more about equalizing pressure for the two exhaust banks (which in turn should help flow) and less about flow across the H pipe itself.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #13
BabyHauler

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Am I wrong, or is buying a $1000+ cat back system for the LS3 a waste of money??
I watched the youtube video and flowmaster claimed 8hp and 9ft.lbs from just a axle back system, on the corsa website for the cat-back system they claim like 6 or 7hp.

I dont think this is because flowmaster is better then corsa I think it is because at around stock HP levels the stock LS3 piping from the cats to the rear mufflers flows just as well as the aftermarket cat backs.

I belive the best way to go unless you wanted to pump out some serious HP would be just to get an axle back (if you have a M6). The sucky thing is corsa doesnt offer just a axle back.

All this is of course based on the 2 pics that were posted above. If they are not the standard M6 and A6 exhaust then just forget everything I just said.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #14
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Okay... A cat back system replaces everything from the cats back to the tips eliminating the resonator and replacing it with either a true X-Pipe or a muffler with a X-Pipe inside of it. Some makers such as Magnaflow offer two set ups. The above described called the street series or, one called the competition series which is the same but with no mufflers before the tips. The axle backs replace the pipe from basically the axles back to the tips. Again, some with mufflers and some without.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote