Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
Cold Air Intake high pitched whine

Hey all,

I wasn't going to post anything, but lately it seems the problem is getting worse.

A couple of weeks ago I installed a K&N Cold Air intake that I bought from AutoAnything. The installation was flawless and the car started right up. Immediately after I drove it I noticed a very high pitched whistle coming from the front of the car when I press on the gas. I've done some reading and have heard it is most likely the new filter sucking in air.

Lately, the sound is lasting longer and longer, sometimes as long as I have my foot on the gas, and it seems to be getting more shrill. Normally this wouldn't bother me but I'm worried that maybe I have a defective intake. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Has anyone any experience with the K&N CAIs?
RubberChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
i have one from cold air inductions.. doesnt make that sound, you could always start the car up and put a napkin over certain areas and see if it's leaking air

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
You can fool ricers into thinking you have a blower.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
normal sound. the plastic air box quiets the noise that you would have heard.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
SoCalCamaro93

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2011 RS (past)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko View Post
normal sound. the plastic air box quiets the noise that you would have heard.
Mine does the same. Only when I'm at about 3k RPMS. I like when it does it haha.

Past: 2011 RS, 2013 ZL1
Current: 2016 2SS
SoCalCamaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I like it when by Ruby whistles for me when I get on it. It is normal. That ugly azz baffle on the stock air box was there to kill that sound. Take your pick.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
You can fool ricers into thinking you have a blower.
...and then flip them off.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Threads like this are why I don't want to get a CAI.
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
DieselAries1

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
Hey all,

I wasn't going to post anything, but lately it seems the problem is getting worse.

A couple of weeks ago I installed a K&N Cold Air intake that I bought from AutoAnything. The installation was flawless and the car started right up. Immediately after I drove it I noticed a very high pitched whistle coming from the front of the car when I press on the gas. I've done some reading and have heard it is most likely the new filter sucking in air.

Lately, the sound is lasting longer and longer, sometimes as long as I have my foot on the gas, and it seems to be getting more shrill. Normally this wouldn't bother me but I'm worried that maybe I have a defective intake. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Has anyone any experience with the K&N CAIs?
I'm also new to the Camaro world. Was reassured it's fine as you are removing all the restricting piping. As someone said the K&N company said "Whistling is working". It's grown on me.
DieselAries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: '14 SIM 2LT/RS Vert
As others have said, the whistle is the cold air intake sucking in air at high rpm's.

Mine does it regularly.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Mike S

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6 3.6L 1LT RS
High Pitch Sound from K&N cold air intake

The high pitch sound is from air getting in under a sealed lip, gasket or a place rubber meets metal . You can make the sound you hear yourself by using a thin plastic film like from a cigarette package and blowing air over it .

You got a vacuum leak , This I know because I installed a Throttle body spacer that did nothing but make my 2011 3.6L Camaro more quite . So I removed it - the $130.00 lost o well now you know save your money . But I removed the Throttle body and K&N CI drove around then the sound you heard on your car came a high pitch whistle at 2000 RPM or higher.

Seems the Gaskets I reused cork was crushed already and you can't reuse the old gaskets anymore you need new ones for the Throttle body . I went to a auto parts store and got some High Heat silicon gasket maker. Applyed it to the throttle body and any spaces the K&N Cold Intake I could see to seal it . 6 hours later Took the Camaro out for a drive and the sound was GONE. Hope I helped a lot of people with this post.
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
The high pitch sound is from air getting in under a sealed lip, gasket or a place rubber meets metal . You can make the sound you hear yourself by using a thin plastic film like from a cigarette package and blowing air over it .

You got a vacuum leak , This I know because I installed a Throttle body spacer that did nothing but make my 2011 3.6L Camaro more quite . So I removed it - the $130.00 lost o well now you know save your money . But I removed the Throttle body and K&N CI drove around then the sound you heard on your car came a high pitch whistle at 2000 RPM or higher.

Seems the Gaskets I reused cork was crushed already and you can't reuse the old gaskets anymore you need new ones for the Throttle body . I went to a auto parts store and got some High Heat silicon gasket maker. Applyed it to the throttle body and any spaces the K&N Cold Intake I could see to seal it . 6 hours later Took the Camaro out for a drive and the sound was GONE. Hope I helped a lot of people with this post.
Great suggestion. In fact this exact thing happened to me. But i didnt get silicone. Great idea. Im gonna get some today.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
My Airaid does not whistle, its more of a nice grunt / groaning sound if I'm
explaining it right.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #14
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
No whistle from rotofab either just a more aggressive sound under throttle!
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote