Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #43
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
great idea but for almost a nother grand I think I would spend it on performance.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #44
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm88 View Post
IMPORTANT QUESTION - My installer got a little ticked off with me today because I cancelled my apointment for Clear Bra installation.

The reason why is becuase it has been raining all morning and was supposed to continue after my install time.

My driving distance to his shop is about 25 miles in the rain, half on the highway.

It's my understanding that Clear Bra has to "Cure" for 48 hours and driving the car in the rain might mess up the install and make the car quite dirty on the way there. It just didn't seem logical to do it today...

Thoughts?
You should have gone. The installer would haev prepped the car before applying the film. Once its on there there is no need to wory about rain. If the isntall is done properly you can drive it right away without any issues. It will take about 2 weeks to fully cure but rain wil not really slow down the process and it wil be fairly transparent to you. I am sure the installer could have gotten another car in had you not canceled... which is why he is upset.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #45
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
great idea but for almost a nother grand I think I would spend it on performance.
By all of your posts you obviousely are not interested in protecting your paint. So why even post anymore??? There are other threads about performance parts I am sure you can contribute to...
Old 06-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #46
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy Z28 View Post
Is your car VR or IOM?

I have concerns if it changes the color of the front end and the look of the point at which it ends. It looks like it collects dust and dirt....
It does neither. It will not affect the color of the paint at all. And again if it is installed properly it will not collect dirt. You treat it just as you do the paint on your car.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #47
cm5217
2K10 SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 SIM black stripes
HTP have you ever hear of Clearshield??? and what do you think of that product??? I am in the process of having it installed...My installer didnt like the pattern that clearshield used for the cut out it had the front bumper in 3 peices and he said it should have been 2 so he reordered more so he can redo it in one peice free hand....Also he said the stuff comes big enough to do the hood but not sure if i want to or not just asking you for your thoughts...thanks
cm5217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #48
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
By all of your posts you obviousely are not interested in protecting your paint. So why even post anymore??? There are other threads about performance parts I am sure you can contribute to...
I agree!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #49
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Where abouts are you located, if I were looking for you to get mine done when I get it?
Thanks

Quote:
I have been installing this stuff for 6 years and I have yet to see any of my film fade, crack, yellow, or peel. It comes with a lifetime warranty so I am sure I would have heard something from one of my customers by now. It will not cause rust, it will not cause the paint to fade at a different rate since it does not have UV inhibitors. It is optically clear and very difficult to see on a car. The 2 films I have found to be the best are Clearmask AR and VentureShield Ultra. With ClearMask I have seen film that has come off of a car after being on for 5 years and it looked brand new. The owner maitained her vehicle with Zaino. If you take care of the film as you do your paint it will last you a long time.

3M is a very durable film... but it has way to much orang peel to it and I do not think it looks good on a car. Not to offend anyone in here using it but 3M is easily noticable from 10 feet away (to the trained eye) becaue it will cause the apint to look like there is a texture to it.

If you want to see some photos of film on some high end cars let pm me with your email. Paint Protection Flm has been around 15+ years and I have never heard of a case of rusting or paint fade. The older 3M films would yellow and crack but they have really improved over the last few years. If anyone is interested let me know. Being in the industry I have a pretty good knowledge of who the good installers are throughout the country. A good installer and a good film are both key to great results. There are a lot of shops out there that are hacks and will cut your paint up because they are not good enough to lay film properly... so try and chck their work before you have them do any work on your car. And last thing... cheaper is DEFINATELY not better. Most of the cheap installers are not any good and will not stand behind their work.

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #50
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 CAMARO SS RS View Post
my girlfriend has a few clear bras
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #51
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Quote:
He likes to dis-agree with just about everything. Try putting, "It would take real SOB not to like this..." in your next post
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #52
quickdraw

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Some of the speculation is funny.

I live in Las Vegas, the sun and sand/gravel capital of the country. I also have a place in the rocky mtns. of Idaho that I go to all through the winter (salt and road sand). I have the invisible bra on 2 of my cars for the past 4 years.

#1. It does not fray or peel around the edges. #2. It will protect 100% of the time from rock chips from anything small enough not to dent the metal. #3. After 4 years there is no noticeable shade or tint differences in the paint under the bra vs the paint not under it. #5. I still have some chips in the areas outside of the bra because I drive in extreme conditions the Pinnacle material is still in perfect condition (the shop I go to doesn't like 3M). If I didn't have the bra covering the most vulnerable areas they would be a total mess. #6. If you want to partially conceal the lines then have it installed so that it only covers that front facia and ends at the facial/hood seam and fender/facia seam. You are still covering the most vulnerable areas. Also do the mirrors and a separate piece for the front side of the front fender well pop-outs. That's what I'm having done right now as I type this. If you live in an area where sand, rocks and gravel is not an issue then that's great, if you live where I do then you can buy touch up paint and have a car that looks like it has acne after a few years or get a manly bra.

Last edited by quickdraw; 06-29-2009 at 08:09 PM.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #53
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5217 View Post
HTP have you ever hear of Clearshield??? and what do you think of that product??? I am in the process of having it installed...My installer didnt like the pattern that clearshield used for the cut out it had the front bumper in 3 peices and he said it should have been 2 so he reordered more so he can redo it in one peice free hand....Also he said the stuff comes big enough to do the hood but not sure if i want to or not just asking you for your thoughts...thanks
ClearShield is actually Bekaert. its not a good film and I only have met a couple of guys that install it. I have heard it is not very durable and it has a lot of orange peel in it. The bumper should definately not be 3 pieces. Usually they are cut like that for either a. a beginner to install or b. because they can fit the pattern on a smaller width of film. Either way it will not look all that great. I would really be careful about your installer "freehanding" it. I have seen a lot of these custom installers cut the paint up while trimming the film on the car. There are a few guys in the country that are good enough to do that but they are few and far between. So be careful with that. You wont notice the cuts until the film is removed because it will follow the film lines... and then its to late.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #54
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrp454 View Post
Where abouts are you located, if I were looking for you to get mine done when I get it?
Thanks
PM sent.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #55
LSP2010
IM A GURL

Drives: 2010/2SS
Quote:
PM sent.

which is the best brand to buy cause im new to this clear bra stuff
3100, Order available to sequence- n/a
3300, Order sch. for production--- 21may09
3400, Order broadcast------------ 28may09
3800, Order produced ------------ 2jun09(2G1FT1EW8A9114199)
4000, Available to ship
4200, Shipped--------------------9june09

ITS HERE 18JUNE09
LSP2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #56
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP2010 View Post
which is the best brand to buy cause im new to this clear bra stuff
Of all of them I have worked with... which is just about everyone on the market excluding Bakaert and Lumar; I would say ClearMask AR and VentureShield Ultra are the best. They have the least amount of orange peel and have a lfietime warranty.