Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
took my car in for dealer service (and got another Camaro)

And they gave me a V6 camaro rental! Well at least I don't have to drive something boring! One thing I noticed that really threw me off guard was the cloth door and dash inserts. I had no idea the 1LT had cloth on the inserts! I am not really sure if cloth belongs on the dash. I mean it doesn't look bad, but it's interesting. At least it add a nice "soft touch" feeling to the dash... take that car reviewers! haha

It actually accelerates pretty quickly as well so it's still fun. But whoever has been driving it has been riding it pretty hard because the average MPG was only 1.5mpg better than I have on my SS!

The exhaust is super quiet. That was also surprising. Do you think it is quiet because the average V6 buyer doesn't want to hear the engine and only wants the car for the looks??? I'm really digging the RJT paint though, it has nice "depth"

But on a sad note, this car with only 15,000 miles looks like it's 10 years old on the outside. It has a large dent on the front driver's side fender, micro scratches throughout the whole body, and a huge yellow paint streak on the front of the hood. Whoever was driving this car absolutely did not respect it. I don't think I've ever driven a rental with so many dings! oh and somebody lost a motivational CD behind the cyclops brake light so that rattles around every time I turn. Poor Camaro!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Welcome to cars that have be given the 60 day Test Drive!!!... and came back.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
And they gave me a V6 camaro rental! Well at least I don't have to drive something boring! One thing I noticed that really threw me off guard was the cloth door and dash inserts. I had no idea the 1LT had cloth on the inserts! I am not really sure if cloth belongs on the dash. I mean it doesn't look bad, but it's interesting. At least it add a nice "soft touch" feeling to the dash... take that car reviewers! haha

It actually accelerates pretty quickly as well so it's still fun. But whoever has been driving it has been riding it pretty hard because the average MPG was only 1.5mpg better than I have on my SS!

The exhaust is super quiet. That was also surprising. Do you think it is quiet because the average V6 buyer doesn't want to hear the engine and only wants the car for the looks??? I'm really digging the RJT paint though, it has nice "depth"

But on a sad note, this car with only 15,000 miles looks like it's 10 years old on the outside. It has a large dent on the front driver's side fender, micro scratches throughout the whole body, and a huge yellow paint streak on the front of the hood. Whoever was driving this car absolutely did not respect it. I don't think I've ever driven a rental with so many dings! oh and somebody lost a motivational CD behind the cyclops brake light so that rattles around every time I turn. Poor Camaro!
That's why I wouldn't consider purchasing a prior rental. I purchased a dealer demo Honda S2000 when they first came out. It had 3k miles on it and little by little I started finding all kinds of hidden secrets and traces of having had body work done, scratched up panels under the front bumper with mud and grass caught on them, etc. So a rental or a loaner that has been passed around, I could only imagin.

It's funny you say that about the cloth interior door/dash trims because my car came with that same plain interior of the 1LT. I got the 1SS/RS so it came with all the bells and whistles on the outside and under the hood but the inside was pretty plain. I later added the auxilary guage pack, the silver painted inner door panels/ dash trim, and Boston Acoustic door speaker cover emblems to add some excitement to the inside. I don't mind the black cloth seats though, they are cozy.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
Thanks for posting. I have a V6 and love it but sometimes I miss my V8. Well except for this week when gas shot up to over 3 bucks a gallon. Plus over the last 18 months I’ve put a lot of love into it. Sometimes the poor V6 gets no respect add to it that it’s been a rental…you said it – Poor Camaro!
Not ever having driven the V8 I appreciate the comparison. Thanks OP

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post

Exactly why I didn't want to wait for a used one, people abuse things fast.
Glad I bought new and so far so good, body is mint.
I have plastic inserts in my doors and dash.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Yeah first Camaro I test drove was a 2LT SIM RS with almost 800 test miles on it (likely 800 HARD test miles on it.) Upon close inspection I noticed it had scratches and some red paint on the wheels....not sure how that happened.....but since it was my first drive of course I loved it lol.

SIM was my second choice, and they tried to get me to buy it but I knew the Aqua Blue would be more rare and I loved the color anyways so thats what I went with.

Oh, and refreshing to hear an SS owner say they thought the little V6 was a decently quick car! lol I know I have fun in mine.

Your probably right about the exhaust...and although you can't make it sound just like a V8, you can make them sound very good, and give them a nice low tone. But once you hit about 3,500 or more rpms it becomes pretty evident in the exhaust note that there ain't no V8 under the hood.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by efpardo View Post
I have a V6 and love it but sometimes I miss my V8. Well except for this week when gas shot up to over 3 bucks a gallon.
i been meaning to ask somebody why it went to 3 a gallon
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Most recent economy & job growth reports were positive. Which tells 'investors' more people will need to fill up. Imagine how much it will be when the economy fully recovers.
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
hawkfe

Drives: 2014 Stingray 3LT
The old saying: What's better than a 4-wheeled drive,,,,,, a rental....
hawkfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
3.20-3.30 here in Socal for premium I believe. Yeah economy but a barrel of oil today is about $87, last week was and has been around 77.All commodities have been soaring as a place to invest/ safe haven and has driven products with those commodiites higher with no real economic reason for it.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Your lucky,I'm taking mine in today and they said I would get an Aveo! That's all they have.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Your lucky,I'm taking mine in today and they said I would get an Aveo! That's all they have.
My salesperson stopped by when I was arranging the rental and jokingly suggested the Aveo! I had a choice between the HHR and Camaro that morning. Of course I chose the Camaro!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rPs View Post
Most recent economy & job growth reports were positive. Which tells 'investors' more people will need to fill up. Imagine how much it will be when the economy fully recovers.
I also believe that 'they' are trying to benchmark fuel prices, at the pump, to synchronize at $4.00 per gallon when the published price of petroleum is near-to the $115 per barrel price-point. Back in '08 it took $147 per barrel petroleum to trigger fuel prices, again at the pump, of over $4.00 per gallon. This rapid escalation of fuel prices during the Summer of 2008 precipitated the bursting of the economic bubble which had sustained us through the largest part of the last decade. We've been somewhat stuck in a deflationary spiral/loop as wages, compensation, real estate values and commodity prices continue to seek the bottom and/or stabilization. The price flexibility of fuel ties into demand, of course, though the economic model for supply and demand has been co-opted by China's insatiable thirst for petroleum. This is due to The United States of America tacitly, in my opinion, allowing China to usurp the manufacturing preeminence of the U.S.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
This is due to The United States of America tacitly, in my opinion, allowing China to usurp the manufacturing preeminence of the U.S.
right on the mark. Short term gains, long term ill (as GM will soon find out)
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote