Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #1303
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
That would be appreciated. A decent powerful CAM setup might dissuade me from a FI setup if priced appropriately.
Just so you know, you'll probably be looking AT LEAST at 1000 for cams alone and probably AT LEAST another 1000 for the install.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #1304
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Just so you know, you'll probably be looking AT LEAST at 1000 for cams alone and probably AT LEAST another 1000 for the install.

10 hours to swap cams? That seems a tad high to me.

In any case, $2k is a LOT cheaper than the $7k it would cost for the IPF kit installed.

Unfortunately, I don't think the cams and the SC would work well together. mostly for tuning reasons, so it would be one or the other.

Much more than $3k, and it would be fairly uninteresting to me. $40 HP for $3k vs 120 HP for $7k... Sure, it's more money, but you kinda get a bulk discount!
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #1305
lscamaro

Swapping cams on this car is a little harder than your typical v8 setup not to mention we have 4 cams as well.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #1306
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Swapping cams on this car is a little harder than your typical v8 setup not to mention we have 4 cams as well.
Oh, I have nothing to base my labor estimate on... It just feels high. I'm sure, simply because it's an LLT, that it requires 4 left handed people with 6 fingers each to remove and install new cams.

Seems par for the course with what GM was doing with this engine.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #1307
ryanb910

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Is this being done in the Houston area? Not too far from me
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #1308
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
?//

[QUOTE=KMPrenger;7040855]Why would he want to wait on your cams? Does the profile need tweaking still??

I dunno ask mace.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #1309
lscamaro

So you're not getting cams?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #1310
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
So you're not getting cams?
Yes, I am getting cams... I just don't know when...yet. Have not been in contact with Mace lately...Been busy doing other stuff.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #1311
Turbowolf71

Drives: 2016 2ss Hyper Blue
Anybody heard anything new on this?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #1312
BlackoutLFX

nothing on the llt....but I just got an email from Steve at Mace saying my cams for the lfx are ready for dispatch...Have not checked into LMR....
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #1313
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
Info on the heads....

Haven't posted recently since no updates but finally made contact with Herb at Competitive Edge in Florida who did the porting on the heads - so this is from the source.

Here are the key points from the conversation and then I'll put things in perspective.

- The flow rate increase on my heads is ~25 cfm across the board on the intake side. Herb will try and locate the original flow numbers and send to me if he still has them.
- A very minimal amount of material was removed from the intake runners due to the shape and potential to gouge into the oil galleries on the roof of the port. No more than 1 or 2 100,000ths of material was removed in any given area.
- Very minor cleanup around the valve guides was performed.
- Minor cleanup on the short side radius in the intake runners to primarily remove casting marks.
- Combustion chambers were cleaned up but not modified or reshaped.
- Valves were not changed nor were the valve seats altered from the factory shape: a 3 angle valve job remains.
- The exhaust side had minor to moderate cleanup as there was more material available to be removed and velocity rates are not as critical as the intake runners.

What this means: these heads are ported for a very mild street / strip application which is essentially a "gasket match" port job with some additional work on cleaning up the casting marks.

Here is a link to the original BMWDon thread from 2010 where there is a lot of info on the flow rates and head information: page 3 has a series of pictures of his heads but it shows great detail on what I'm describing above. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ds+flow&page=3

For comparison: my heads flow about 25cfm more than stock and BMWDon's flowed approximately 43 cfm more than stock. This may not sound like much of an increase but the general rule of thumb from the old days (SBCs / BBCs) was you get 2 hp for every 1 cfm increase, everything else being equal. In reality, would love to get 50hp from my heads but it's not going to happen: a lot of work needs to occur to get those kind of numbers. However, a 1 to 1 increase is definitely possible: we all know air flow velocity is the key, not huge amounts volume. The comment I can make about the new heads / cams is they are noisier than stock which is not unusual anything higher lift cams are added.

I had the conversation about a more aggressive port job on my take-off heads and that may be in the future depending if we can get some solid tuning. Lots of work re-welding / reshaping to straighten the airflow, larger titanium valves, guides, 5 angle valve job and all the other odds and ends. If going that far maybe a 4th grind cam with even more lift - hopefully someone will come out with better valve springs.

Having spent a great deal of time at a bench with a grinder on a butt load of car and bike heads, some came out good and some ended up in the dumpster or as coffee table legs until I learned what was going on - I understand whats been done to these heads. I'm trying to locate a borescope / endoscope locally with a wide angle lens and video or camera capability: I could remove the IM cover and take a peek down the intake runners and then do some visual comparisons against my heads vs. BMWDons. This would be nice for the info but not the highest priority - I would rather be able to verify the tuning is spot on.

Hopefully the HPTuners package will come to fruition soon and give us access to all the things we need to really open up the little V6.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:27 AM   #1314
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Thanks for the update. This is some good news for potential added HP. Now just need to find the tune to help tie it all together.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #1315
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Thanks for the update!

Now remind me on this. Are you sticking with the cams that have been in your car since the build was done, or not? It seems to me that MACE has settled on a different cam profile since yours were done, and that maybe you were going to switch yours out with the new.

Is that right, or is that not needed?

Is a good solid tune the key to your setup, or are other changes absolutely needed to make it run right?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #1316
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Thanks for the update!

Now remind me on this. Are you sticking with the cams that have been in your car since the build was done, or not? It seems to me that MACE has settled on a different cam profile since yours were done, and that maybe you were going to switch yours out with the new.

Is that right, or is that not needed?

Is a good solid tune the key to your setup, or are other changes absolutely needed to make it run right?

Hi Keith, for now I'm staying with the "205" grind. Based on the cam and head info I definitely need a good tune option at this point. The vvt may be doing more ha than good at this point - I read the current setup can advance the cams as much as 13* - still validating this. I hav an idea for a poor man's vvt delete but will get back to you on that....

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote