Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
CAI 'cavity venting'

I would be interested in opinions on 'venting' air into the cavity(regardless of manufacturer). It appears most of the products shield the area where the OEM box and a little vent to the front grill...thoughts?

I removed my washer fluid bottle in hopes to get a little more air in there....but I haven't noticed any change.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Hey Mossman, I have done this on my car. I have a LMR CAI like you. I cut a 3" hole in the side of the plastic shield thats behind the lower grill and ran a flex 3'" tube up into the CAI cavity. It fits in between the washer bottle and plastic fenderwell. I believe it is getting cooler air in there, especially at speed but I have no proof of that. I think it would work as well as the air scoop that ADM is offering for thier CAI. I could get you some pics if you want, my car is in for the year.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
HtownSS

Drives: Silver 2SS, 68 Firebird 400,70 vett
I would be Interested in seeing some pics?

Thanks.
HtownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
ADM Air scoop-works with all

Our scoop does just this-No need to design,we already did all the leg work!

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post

Andy
Do you have any pictures of the unit so I can get an idea?

Thanks...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post

Andy
Yep, the ADM scoop is perfect for pulling air in through the lower grille and up into the sealed airbox. It really opens things up! I am really happy w/ it.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
In order for air to move from one place to another there must be a change in atmospheric pressure.

The laws of Physics show that High Pressure always seeks Low Pressure.

On the intake stroke of and engine a Low Pressure Area is created, and the atmospheric pressure we live in rushes in to fill the void.

This Low pressure area builds all the way to the filter where Low pressure Meets High pressure.

So If you can imagine an Ora of Low pressure area around the filter.

Anything we can do to remove obstacles for air to move to fill the low pressure area the better.

Now Turbulence is a whole other Obstacle for air to move around, and we can't easily see turbulence so Only scientists with the right equipment can help us with that.

One thing we Can Not do is Force air to move, to an area with equal pressure, it is quite stubborn and only reacts to pressure changes.

The best we can hope for is Cool, Clean, Non Turbulent air, to fill the low pressure area created by the piston.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Do you have any pictures of the unit so I can get an idea?

Thanks...
Here you go:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47969
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
In order for air to move from one place to another there must be a change in atmospheric pressure.

On the intake stroke of and engine a Low Pressure Area is created, and the atmospheric pressure we live in rushes in to fill the void.

This Low pressure area builds all the way to the filter where Low pressure Meets High pressure.

Anything we can do to remove obstacles for air to move to fill the low pressure area the better.

Now Turbulence is a whole other Obstacle for air to move around, and we can't easily see turbulence so Only scientists with the right equipment can help us with that.

One thing we Can Not do is Force air to move, to an area with equal pressure, it is quite stubborn and only reacts to pressure changes.

The best we can hope for is Cool, Clean, Non Turbulent air, to fill the low pressure area created by the piston.

Ted.
Best be careful Ted, There are a lot of facts and "myth busting" material in this post. Could get you in hot water.

Keep up the good work. I've been doing this stuff a long time, but I've learned a lot from you here

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
Best be careful Ted, There are a lot of facts and "myth busting" material in this post. Could get you in hot water.

Keep up the good work. I've been doing this stuff a long time, but I've learned a lot from you here
I try and try and try but I just can't change the Laws of Physics, NOPE can't even bend them a little.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 10-30-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:

Ted.
So, if I'm interpreting this correctly...the goal then would be to maintain pressure around filter without creating turbulence?

If that's accurate...then I would think that routing air into the box might cause more problems that it solves... ???
Old 10-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
So, if I'm interpreting this correctly...the goal then would be to maintain pressure around filter without creating turbulence?

If that's accurate...then I would think that routing air into the box might cause more problems that it solves... ???
Again we can't see turbulence

I don't know that you can manipulate Pressure, but you can clear a path for the air to enter the area around the filter.

The Filter is your Low Pressure Area, the High Pressure is going to take the Path of Least resistance.

This is why the CAI with gaps around the air boxes had increases in IATs, air is going to rush in from everywhere it can.

Sealing the Box from Engine compartment Air, then Providing a Path for OUTSIDE air to enter the box is the ultimate goal.

Ted.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
You also need to keep in mind how much air the engine sucks in when at speed and make sure your intake path is large enough to accommodate this amount of air.
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Again we can't see turbulence

I don't know that you can manipulate Pressure, but you can clear a path for the air to enter the area around the filter.

The Filter is your Low Pressure Area, the High Pressure is going to take the Path of Least resistance.

This is why the CAI with gaps around the air boxes had increases in IATs, air is going to rush in from everywhere it can.

Sealing the Box from Engine compartment Air, then Providing a Path for OUTSIDE air to enter the box is the ultimate goal.

Ted.
Gotcha....

What I would really like to see, since I have an SS/RS and the 'fog lights' are worthless DRLs, would be a product that replaces the fog lights with plumbing to cool the brakes and, on the drivers side, the air box cavity.