Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
No minimum speed. That's one of the issues. It will kick in at 25 MPH.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
If there is a way for the consumer to shut it off(without a tune) that defeats the purpose and the Fuel economy ratings would no longer be valid and could help raise the fleet average. Im just sayin....
Well GM isn't known for its high mileage commuter cars, so it probably wouldn't matter if the car got 18mpg on the highway. Just wait until the VOLT or some similar car comes out and it swings the average up into a higher bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak Ak View Post
I vote that AFM works in drive only. We have VVT, we might as well be able to use it on the longer drives. It will also save future buyers of this car from paying the gas guzzler tax.

Sport/M mode no AFM. Give us the option to turn AFM off by shifting in to S/M mode. Sport mode is not very sporty in a 4 cylinder.
IF you're in sport mode and shifting manually, why not just get the Manual transmission? Don't quite have the coordination that pretty much everyone else has? You bought a sport car with an AUTOMATIC transmission? HUH?

If you're in sport mode, and you're driving competatively, then the "AFM" wont be kicking in until you let off the gas anyway.

Why do you feel the need to keep 8 cylinders burning fuel when you're on a 10 miles downhill descent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Counter productive? Come on. It's counter intuitive to have AFM kick in if you are driving in Competitive Mode. This suggests, as Chevy calls it, spirited driving. There's no way AFM is going to save fuel if it's kicking on for a few seconds at a time.

I won't argue about the M/S trans setting, but let's get it deactive with Comp mode.

Call 1.800-222-1020. I know I along with several others already have.
It "kicks in" for a lot more than just "a few seconds at a time" when you're cruising on the highway or on a downgrade.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I thought it already had a similar minimum speed
It has less to do with actual speed than it does to do with the amount of power needed to maintain your current speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
turned mine off completely w/ a tune. Picked up 3mpg on the hwy w/ a proper tune and no AFM vs AFM and factory tune. If GM would have just tuned it better they wouldn`t need the stinking AFM to keep from getting the guzzler tax.
Wow, you're a big effin' stud man! Why aren't you working for GM and making millions? Just "tune" a car to get all 8 cylinders running so your exhaust sounds good, more horsepower, and higher mileage? Man... if only the engineers at GM knew this little secret would work for the Camaros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
That's pretty stupid.

"-we just need our voices to be heard!"

You're full of crap.

You knew what you were getting into before you bought the car.

You had a choice between the L99 and LS3.

If you want the "AFM" to be shut off, but it in "M/Sport Mode" and downshift... running in a lower gear and higher RPM.
Oh man, now HERE's the REAL STUD!! ^^^^^^^

:w 00t:

Last edited by FNKNSTN; 10-31-2009 at 05:31 PM.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
IF you're in sport mode and shifting manually, why not just get the Manual transmission? Don't quite have the coordination that pretty much everyone else has? You bought a sport car with an AUTOMATIC transmission? HUH?

If you're in sport mode, and you're driving competatively, then the "AFM" wont be kicking in until you let off the gas anyway.

Why do you feel the need to keep 8 cylinders burning fuel when you're on a 10 miles downhill descent?

Wow, you're a big effin' stud man! Why aren't you working for GM and making millions? Just "tune" a car to get all 8 cylinders running so your exhaust sounds good, more horsepower, and higher mileage? Man... if only the engineers at GM knew this little secret would work for the Camaros.

Oh man, now HERE's the REAL STUD!! ^^^^^^^
turn it down a notch or two. If you can't figure out how to respectfully disagree, don't hit 'Submit Reply' and that goes for everyone, not just you.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby02 View Post
It's not stupid when you concider dealers would not let you test drive the car. At least that's the case in south fl.
I have never had a dealer turn down a test drive. Hell, I was 22 years old, stationed in Germany, and was able to test drive a 97 Dodge Viper on the Autobahn with nothing more than a drivers license and a 500 dollar "insurance" deposit (which they refunded when I brought the car back in one piece). I test drove both the M6 and the A6 before I bought my car. Took it on the interstate and the dealer told me to go as fast as I wanted...

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #19
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
FNKNSTN = Troll ?
If you can't dis-agree respectfully then there is no need to voice your opinion.

On a more serious note, In the end we could always just tune it to only be active when in Drive.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #20
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
There is no reason it should not have an off setting.

Look at CAGS they claim it helps mileage (which is not true) and what does everyone do? Drive past it, ie drive the car harder so you don't have to deal with it...or CAGS elimiator
Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I didn't think it would be an issue.My Tahoe has it and it's not noticeable even with a cat back.The Camaro is on and off much more than the Tahoe. So far it doesn't bother me with the stock exhaust.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #22
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by third1 View Post
I didn't think it would be an issue.My Tahoe has it and it's not noticeable even with a cat back.The Camaro is on and off much more than the Tahoe. So far it doesn't bother me with the stock exhaust.
Fairly lucky then, I can actually feel the car rumble/vibrate when it kicks in/out of AFM, along with hearing it just slightly when going through the stock exhaust. But when I have my Electric exhaust cutouts open, it is god aweful sounding.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 PM   #23
KIMBERSSGIRL1
2010 RS/SS Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Thumbs up

I feel the on-again off-again just cruising around town but not really on the Highway. It tends to lurch forward just lightly stepping on the gas or feel like the brakes are coming on just slightly lifting off the gas.
I have all the stock exhausts and can hear it kind of "POP" or gurgle as well.
Makes me a bit concerned!
I didn't know the Auto tranny was suppose to do this as never drove a car with this AFM? in it before.
I'd like to see it being disabled in S?M mode or at least when we hit and hold down the Traction Control and Stabilatrack off button for a few seconds!
It's damn annoying!
Like that Frankenfreak poster!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #24
Tomato
G-Force Addict

It's damn annoying!
Like that Frankenfreak poster![/QUOTE]

Good one! And good observations on the AFM. I'm fine with it when just cruising on the highway, but it's crazy that it kicks in when my car is ice cold and I'm going 25 MPH down my street. I can't imagine that it's good for the car during the warm up process - I'd bet the cylinders heat up unevenly...
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 PM   #25
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Quote:
It's damn annoying!
Like that Frankenfreak poster!
Good one! And good observations on the AFM. I'm fine with it when just cruising on the highway, but it's crazy that it kicks in when my car is ice cold and I'm going 25 MPH down my street. I can't imagine that it's good for the car during the warm up process - I'd bet the cylinders heat up unevenly...
impossible. heat spreads out evenly
Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #26
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
impossible. heat spreads out evenly
I agree, but we're talking cylinders that aren't firing. I'd bet they would not heat evenly if you let it stay in 4 banger mode...
Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The reason why everything would heat up is because coolant circulates through the entire engine and aluminum (well, any metal) conducts heat very good. The actual pistons themselves might not get up to temp as fast, but the walls won't know the difference. Each de-activated cylinder is adjacent to 1 active cylinder. Overall, the engine won't be terribly different than one with all 8 cylinders firing. If it didn't have an integrated thermal management system it might be a bit different.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:58 AM   #28
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The reason why everything would heat up is because coolant circulates through the entire engine and aluminum (well, any metal) conducts heat very good. The actual pistons themselves might not get up to temp as fast, but the walls won't know the difference. Each de-activated cylinder is adjacent to 1 active cylinder. Overall, the engine won't be terribly different than one with all 8 cylinders firing. If it didn't have an integrated thermal management system it might be a bit different.
exactly