Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #57
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
My last 2-3 miles homes from work are up and down hills. The last mile in to my housing track is hills and speed bumps. The A6 tranny and AFM just get lost. Coming down a hill and going slowly over a speed bump and then trying to move its like – “hey there’s no power required tranny (gravity), but wait the driver is pressing the accelerator for us to move, whoa, that ain’t my job, whatta ya gonna do? Hey I turned off a few cylinders, you gotta get us moving. Nope ain’t in my job jar.” The thing just gets confused (I used to write software). So, I just put in manual mode for the last few miles and paddle shift.

Don O

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #58
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
hmm. I haven't really noticed the AFM kicking in or out, I will try to pay more close attention when cruising. I will get mine tuned out but it would be nice if it automatically went off when you put it in sport mode so guys didn't have to void their warranty to disable it.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #59
Bellringer

Drives: my wife nuts.....
For those who only have ONE leg the L99 is a great option!

Now don't anyone challenge him to an ass kicking contest..

I would have paid the Gas Guzzler tax, if I had the choice....

44030 is all mine!

GM
Bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:45 AM   #60
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I still don't understand the complaints, nor the logic behind an AFM "off" button......and I've read them all....

Aw well....:(
It's quite simple really..
Old 11-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #61
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
Like some of the others, AFM kicking in and out at 20 mph makes no sense at all. I believe GM could have gotten by EPA by tying in the AFM only at crusing speeds, 55 and up. Ideally, although it probably wouldn't fly, I'd love to only have it engage when the cruise control is used. I also don't understand GM's thinking of "sport/competition" mode. It's hard to imagine any competition when you're running on 4 cylinders part of the time. Deactivating AFM in these modes IMO just makes sense. The use of the paddle shifting is ok for awhile and that gets old too. My wife has no problem letting me know that "clicking" of the paddle shift gets irritating too.
I think eventually something will be done, until then I guess I just paddle away!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #62
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
it seems to me that GM could have made the AFM motor "optional". For those that wanted an auto transmission but did NOT want the AFM then they could have it. And those that wanted a V8 auto that could squeeze maximum MPG in optimum conditions. Everyone's happy.

But they didnt! So sorry guys, you gotta suck it up until the aftermarket catches up!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #63
Silver Ice Man

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring limited edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
I'd love an AFM delete button! I don't think that would satisfy the EPA though.
Hope this doesn't spark a revolt but screw the EPA... the day they stop launching space shuttles, or ground every fighter jet, jumbo jet, and helicopter, then stop every nascar, indy, or drag race, oh yeah and the newest one lets fire off a few more bombs at the moon , cause that is super environmently friendly.
The day they (the GOVERNMENT) does all that then I might just worry about my little carbon foot print. Get bent EPA
MODS: CIA cold air intake, Oil catch can, Dynatech LT Headers, Dynatech Power cats, Dynatech Cat back exhaust, Janetty racing tune, Vitesse throttle controller, Headlight and marker tint, more to follow....
Silver Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #64
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ice Man View Post
Hope this doesn't spark a revolt but screw the EPA... the day they stop launching space shuttles, or ground every fighter jet, jumbo jet, and helicopter, then stop every nascar, indy, or drag race, oh yeah and the newest one lets fire off a few more bombs at the moon , cause that is super environmently friendly.
The day they (the GOVERNMENT) does all that then I might just worry about my little carbon foot print. Get bent EPA
Good one. I'm in CA, so I know what you mean. They have smog laws for dirt bikes - my son had a PW50 2 stroke that was a "red sticker," meaning we could only use it on public land certain times of year. The motor was smaller than a lawnmower's for God's sake. Interestingly, one 737 take off polutes the air more than all of the dirtbikes in CA for an entire year...
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #65
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
it seems to me that GM could have made the AFM motor "optional". For those that wanted an auto transmission but did NOT want the AFM then they could have it. And those that wanted a V8 auto that could squeeze maximum MPG in optimum conditions. Everyone's happy.

But they didnt! So sorry guys, you gotta suck it up until the aftermarket catches up!
Except GM. Making AFM optional defeats the purpose of having it. They do it to avoid the gas guzzler tax. Without it the autos would be get 16/23 at best, which would incur a GG tax greater than simply offering AFM. It would be better for all involved if GM were to make AFM defeatable, perhaps through some sort of 'easter egg' involving sport and competition mode. Do something with CAGS in manual cars too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #66
general23cmp

Drives: 2010 RS SS
I must have my BA stereo up too loud...
general23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #67
erasedgod
CGM 2SS/RS

Drives: # 9641
Put a set of longtubes on there and tell me the AFM doesn't piss you off.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #68
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I still don't understand the complaints, nor the logic behind an AFM "off" button......and I've read them all....
Aw well....:(
So, I'm assuming your '08 Cobalt doesn't have it? Sorry for being a smart ass, but if you've never driven a Camaro with it, you just don't understand. I'd say my annoyance with it was solely due to my muffler delete, but for me it's not the sound, it's the vibration. When you're driving at relatively slow speed, say 40mph, and push on the throttle ever so slightly to maintain speed on a slight grade, those poor 4 cylinders make the whole car shudder trying to make 3,900+ lbs. overcome gravity....very annoying. For now I'm ok with the tap up-shift and the consistantly precise rev. matching downshifts, but doggone it I paid for an automatic and I'm sure in the future there will be times when I'll want to be lazy and just let the car do it for me, but......
Like others have said, if it didn't kick in 'til 55 it would probaly not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ice Man View Post
Yeah, Ice Man, us motorheads aren't exactly the biggest green offenders. Oh, but wait, there are sooo many of us. I suppose the optimistic way for all of us to look at this is to realize that the demise of cars like ours is probably in the not too distant future and be happy with what we have. Good 'nough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
I must have my BA stereo up too loud...
You have stock exhaust, don't you?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #69
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Morgan View Post
This is completely wrong. If you run DOD/AFM to long or on a cold engine or at high load it can and does do damage over time. If the DOD/AFM is operating outside certain parameters It warps the cylinders adjacent to the active ones and increases bore, piston ring wear substantially! Any thermal gradient in an engine will do the same thing. Its not something that happens instantly. It will eventually cause the engine to use more oil, leak down cylinder pressure and make far less power over time. Activate the DOD/AFM for extended periods on an engine that is to cold or in a high load scenario and your going to damage the cylinder in short order! Below are the tuning parameters tuned into my AFM. I have it coming on at 55mph and not 1 mph sooner. It is deactivated in 1st,2nd and 3rd gears as well. You can see by the pictures below that there are many variables involved. Nothing very complex mind you. Its just load (MAN pressure TPS position) and preset parameters but get them wrong, hold it in to long for extended periods and damage occurs.

AFM/DOD active on a cold engine (high thermal gradient) is the worst thing I can think of.

*...worries!*

As an aside, at 2400 miles, the car sounds louder, and now I notice the AFM. But it isn't bothersome. At the moment.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #70
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Yeah GM!

Take AFM off & make us pay an extra $1,000+ instead of us not doing research and end up paying less than $10 to disable it!
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote