Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Any recommendations sharp pain?

Alright, so here's the deal:

Over the past week I've been sick from a cold and have noticed something that had never happened before. For some strange reason I started experiencing sharp pain in various parts of my body over the course of the week. It only lasts for a few seconds/minutes and while some of it isn't bad at all, other times it's almost unbearable. It happens in various parts of my body, arms, legs, etc. It also happens at various times of the day and I've even woken up to the pain in the middle of the night.

I discussed this with my doctor, and she suggested that I start drinking more milk and take calcium and magnesium tablets. So I've started drinking a whole quart bottle of warm (room temperature) 1% milk daily, and take chewable calcium tablets. I'm going to go get the magnesium kind on Monday.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever experienced this, or knows a good remedy.
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i haven't had that one.you might want to be careful with too much calcium also.that will cause kidney stones.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
It is hard to determine without knowing age/ medical history and such. Have you noticed that you are more dehydrated due to your illness? What about you fluid and food intake. Usually your electrolytes can get off balance and cause your muscles to ache in different ways due to a lack of potassium. It sounds goofy but I suggest drinking pedialyte....it has alot of the replacements needed for electrolytes. If you dont like this, consider some sports drinks in moderation and possibly a bananna a day for the next week.
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
2000v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
It is hard to determine without knowing age/ medical history and such. Have you noticed that you are more dehydrated due to your illness? What about you fluid and food intake. Usually your electrolytes can get off balance and cause your muscles to ache in different ways due to a lack of potassium. It sounds goofy but I suggest drinking pedialyte....it has alot of the replacements needed for electrolytes. If you dont like this, consider some sports drinks in moderation and possibly a bananna a day for the next week.
Age - early 20s
Medical History - except for catching a cold once a year, nothing really

Alright thanks, I know that gatorade was originally made to replace electrolytes, so I'll get some of it.

I wouldn't say that I'm more dehydrated per say, I mean I drink a lot of water, orange juice, tea, milk, etc. But when the heater is on I sweat like a pig.

Same with food, a good breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. I know that some people lose their appetite when they get a cold, but I don't.

I was thinking about the lack of potassium as a possibility. I was reading about how muscle cramps may be caused by a lack of either calcium, magnesium and potassium.

I'll probably eat a banana or two every day for the next week to get the potassium
Old 03-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
2000v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
i haven't had that one.you might want to be careful with too much calcium also.that will cause kidney stones.
Oh... didn't know that. I guess that I'm going to have to figure out a good way to take enough of it in moderation so that I won't get stones
Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
Have your doctor do a vitamin D test. I had those very same pains plus it seemed like my head was in a fog at times. My vitamin D levels were really low so I was put on supplements and those problems all went away. Lack of sunshine is rough in more ways than one.

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6 View Post
Alright, so here's the deal:

Over the past week I've been sick from a cold and have

noticed something that had never happened before. For some strange reason I started experiencing sharp pain in various parts of my body over the course of the week. It only lasts for a few seconds/minutes and while some of it isn't bad at all, other times it's almost unbearable. It happens in various parts of my body, arms, legs, etc. It also happens at various times of the day and I've even woken up to the pain in the middle of the night.

I discussed this with my doctor, and she suggested that I start drinking more milk and take calcium and magnesium tablets. So I've started drinking a whole quart bottle of warm (room temperature) 1% milk daily, and take chewable calcium tablets. I'm going to go get the magnesium kind on Monday.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever experienced this, or knows a good remedy.
I had the same thing a couple years ago... Basically there is nothing you can do.

It's not a big deal, just 'aches and pains'... you can buy the Cold Medicine which is supposed to combat the pain, but (at least with me) it was so random and temporary that it was hard to predict and I didn't want to be constantly medicated.

If it continues for more than a couple days contact a doctor for sure.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #8
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
If you drink a lot of milk, you need to drink some kind of juice(cranberry?) & a lot of water. My sister had several kidney stones by the time she was 25, and she's in decent shape.

If your doctor didn't run any tests, you may want to find a new one. Mine runs blood tests every 6-12 months, regardless of me needing them or not.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
2000v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaph View Post
If you drink a lot of milk, you need to drink some kind of juice(cranberry?) & a lot of water. My sister had several kidney stones by the time she was 25, and she's in decent shape.

If your doctor didn't run any tests, you may want to find a new one. Mine runs blood tests every 6-12 months, regardless of me needing them or not.

Well she does do blood tests every 6 months, I had the previous one done back in october and then had my last one done just two weeks ago. But I wasn't experiencing this problem until last week so there was no reason to test for a problem that wasn't going on. Also, I'm still on antibiotics until tomorrow (she gave me the one that works for 5 days after you stop taking it), so that could have been a reason why she didn't send me back to the clinic where they take blood samples.

Yeh, I have heard that any sort of juice with cranberry in it will do.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
2000v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenn View Post
Have your doctor do a vitamin D test. I had those very same pains plus it seemed like my head was in a fog at times. My vitamin D levels were really low so I was put on supplements and those problems all went away. Lack of sunshine is rough in more ways than one.
I doubt that it's the same thing then. I'm not experiencing the mind in a haze/fog state of mind.

I really don't see the need for vitamin D supplements, there is a good daily dose of it in milk.