Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
True chance...but in my mind CAFE and the new technology (DI, new manufacturing processes and materials) will make it less affordable...as if 54,995 before GG tax, options, tax and tags is affordable now. It's all relative. I'm lucky to be in a position at this point in my life to see it, and be able to have it. For that I am truely Blessed.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
My FAV concept

Last edited by Richy_Rich; 10-11-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Richy_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #45
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post

Chance of Z/28: 75% plus = 100%
Chance of IROC: 0%
100% IMHO ----Maybe 100 of them!!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #46
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I think it may have happened something like this:

Some time ago, the ZL1 was actually gonna be called the Z28, (as evidenced by some ZL1 parts being stamped with the Z28 name). Then, something (unknown to us) happened in the upper echelon of GM, and it was decided to be called the ZL1 instead. In the meantime, the Z28 name was then secured, but pushed back to re-appear later, and my guess it will be in a 6th gen.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Your dealer is full of "chit" if he told you GM was coming out with anything that wasn't already available.

Of course, they might bring back the Z/28. But nobody from GM is going to say anything.
Anything you hear on that subject is just rummors.

As for the IROC, I can't see them bringing it back.
That model was named after race series which no longer exists.

Chance of Z/28: 75% plus
Chance of IROC: 0%

Not to mention, at the end of the run, the name was sold to Dodge to put on the IROC Daytonas.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #48
DZ28

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Riverside Blue
My guess is the Z will make a return. Nothing in the Camaro line up is aimed at the Boss. I like a bump in HP and a serious suspension that like the Boss can go right to the track. Yes I recognize some think the 1LE is there and I like it. Z/28 needs to be a halo so engine performance has to increase. If they make one I will choose it over a ZL1 or maybe sell my 550 horse 2010 and buy both! The gen6 Camaro I expect to be more Caddy ATS size with smaller displacement engines. I'll take an overweight gen5 with lots of motor and big brakes over the gen6....
Old 10-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #49
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Not to mention, at the end of the run, the name was sold to Dodge to put on the IROC Daytonas.
"IROC" was a licensed name; rights were "leased" from Jay Signore, then-President of International Race Of Champions (IROC), first to Chev and then to Dodge. IROC (the Series) also raced Porsches (initially) and Firebirds (finally). Now defunct.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #50
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime068 View Post
I seen this article earlier today, do really hope they do a z28....would be my next car for sure lol

"This should raise the eyebrows of a few Camaro enthusiasts. GM Authority is reporting that General Motors has filed with the "United States Patent and Trademark Office for a trademark of the "Z28" moniker. Oh, do we have your attention?

Many GM performance fans were surprised when Chevrolet did not use the Z28 nameplate for its range-topping, supercharged ZL1 Camaro. There were rumors afoot that Chevrolet may still employ the Z28 name at some point, but some of the air went out of that balloon when an option pack debuted between the SS and the ZL1 wearing the 1LE designation. And potentially furthering this speculation is an April tidbit from Camaro5, where a forum member discovered that his Camaro ZL1 diffuser bracket had the designation "Z28" on it.

Yet while many such filings are to be taken with a grain of salt (often it's just a brand looking to protect a dormant or lapsed trademark), a development like this only stokes the rumormongers' flames.

The ZL1 is, without a doubt, the top of the Camaro performance ladder, so where would a Z28 fit? GM Authority offers some speculation, suggesting that a production Z28 could "even out-muscle the ZL1." Another interesting theory they offer is that the Z28 appellation could replace the Camaro SS designation, as Chevy has the Zeta-based SS sedan range coming in next year, and GM officials could be worried about confusion in the marketplace.

When the first-generation Camaro came out in 1967, Z28 was merely the option code designation for a race-ready package (SS models were option code Z27). It was not mentioned in any literature and many customers did not know about it at first. Since then, the Z/28 has become an iconic name in the world of muscle cars."
Yes... on a road course it would out muscle a ZL1 because it will have cold air induction vents, run cool, run hard, run long. You just get this feeling that a Z/28 is just around the corner waiting to breathe fire on the whole parade! Likely won't be too friendly on the street -- much like the GT500. Still <500 IMHO.... maybe <100. Maybe even "COPO typical" availability....
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #51
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
I think it may have happened something like this:

Some time ago, the ZL1 was actually gonna be called the Z28, (as evidenced by some ZL1 parts being stamped with the Z28 name). Then, something (unknown to us) happened in the upper echelon of GM, and it was decided to be called the ZL1 instead. In the meantime, the Z28 name was then secured, but pushed back to re-appear later, and my guess it will be in a 6th gen.

Your thoughts?
My thought? Either you know Carnac, are psychic, or have been reading the threads for some time....
Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #52
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
ha ha ha!!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #53
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Z28= 427 engine option, just saying that would be sweet!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #54
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
Z28= 427 engine option, just saying that would be sweet!
Yes, that would be. Perhaps that's mainstream logic. What if it were a HP DI next gen motor?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #55
Galaxy_Stranger

Drives: Black 2013 2SS LS3 1LE
I was thinking about this yet again on the road back home today.

It would seem that a 427 Z/28 would be likely at this point, given the "leaked" info on the 2014 models. The engine plus a suspension upgrade makes sense.

But what occurred to me is this:
COPO = Pro Drag
ZL1 = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Drag
Z/28 = Pro Track Racing
SS 1LE = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Track Racing

This makes sense to me and would match speculated price points. Having a naturally aspirated LS7 also makes sense to me for track racing. But the 1LE may also be a test bed for the Z/28 suspension and may disappear for 6th gen.
Galaxy_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #56
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy_Stranger View Post
I was thinking about this yet again on the road back home today.

It would seem that a 427 Z/28 would be likely at this point, given the "leaked" info on the 2014 models. The engine plus a suspension upgrade makes sense.

But what occurred to me is this:
COPO = Pro Drag
ZL1 = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Drag
Z/28 = Pro Track Racing
SS 1LE = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Track Racing

This makes sense to me and would match speculated price points. Having a naturally aspirated LS7 also makes sense to me for track racing. But the 1LE may also be a test bed for the Z/28 suspension and may disappear for 6th gen.
...all good thoughts. Here's what I'm thinkin'...If the Z is made in 2014, and...I say again if it is, it will not have any designed intention beyond that of a track car to intentionally minor as a drag car. To carry the Z badge, it would have to be well thought out and designed to it's track racing heritage. The name is hallowed, as Scott said. We know there are no real weight savings to be gleaned on this Holden chasis. As much as we clammored for a LS7 in the current body form I do believe we have a better than even shot to get it before the next Gen arrives. Will it be the Z/28? I think not. A limited special edition 427 CID LS7 powered stick shift collector car, with a Pedders, ZL1, and 1LE blend of items? Perhaps...with a name only GM's marketing team knows. I genuinely believe the Z/28 will be introduced with the next Gen and DI.