Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #85
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCamaroLover View Post
it seems that the general consensus is that, as long as i slap some good wheels on it, i'll be fine. now i know i asked this before, but im really confused on whether i should get all seasons or winters. i know a lot of you have mentioned the scorpions, and others have said that i should be fine with all seasons.. average snowfall where i live is like 1-3 bad storms a year (in which case i wont even take my baby out) and a good amount of flurries, or slush, or wet snow... help?
I put a set of the all-seasons from the V6 on my 2SS and she was great (you will need spacers to fit over those huge front breaks). I drove through at least 5" of drifting snow in them this year and didn't have any issues. I was being quite careful for sure but I will say I was supprise how well it did. I honestly didn't think I'd make it home (1 hr drive turned to 2!!). Anyway, I worked it out w/ my dealer. They threw in a set of 19's from a V6 that was getting a wheel upgrade. I told them that was the deciding factor on the sale and they made it happen. Plus this way you still have TPMS installed and you can swap them yourself at home for free. Best of luck to you, I'd be careful.
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #86
Danprh427

Drives: 2010 Camaro
So an 1lt with rs if i were to buy the heritage or rims from a non rs car would i need spacers or anything to put 18 inch snow tires on all around
Danprh427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #87
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
You wont need spacers. Only reason the 18s dont fit the ss is the brembo brakes. Any non rs v6 comes with all season tires (i think). Winter tires will be better though if its in the budget.
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #88
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Fyi the 18" ls heritage wheels require spacers on the back brembo brakes also.
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #89
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this has been posted many a times before, but just wanted some kind of personalized opinions.

I live in Jersey, and I'm 16, and 95% sure I'm getting a Camaro for a first car (that 5% is if I get anything lower than a B in school)

Before you say "you spoiled brat, etc" I have been working for my dad for 3 years for basically nothing, other than a couple paychecks here and there, specifically to save him money, but when I need something, obviously, they provide me with the money, and I'm a straight A student, so Its not like I dont "deserve" this car.

Now before I buy it, I have about $3,000 saved up in the bank, and I wanted to ask you guys this: As you may or may not know, Jersey isn't the worst with snow... 1 or 2 bad storms a year, and a couple "flurries." no Michigan Winters or anything.

So with the money I have saved up I'm definantly going to buy snow tires for it, now for the questions:

1. If I put some snow tires on the Camaro, and put some weight in the trunk, should I be good?

2. What are some pretty good snow tires?

Thanks a lot guys, can't wait for your input!
You will not need weight in the car, this is the best Camaro I have drivren in the winter! and it handles as good as or better then any other rar wheel drive. Actually it can handle better for those who grew up and learned in RWD vehicles !

If you have 20" wheels on your Camaro make sure you get 18 " rims that can take a slimmer profile. Skinnier tires will traction better in snow and they will suppply more pressure per SQ inch on the pavement which relates to better traction on ice! On my 2000 SS I had winter Pirellis !! THey were the best I had to then ! I think if you go with the big brands mid grade to high grade performing winters you will be fine.

If you ahvent yet, when the winter is here get out into a big parking lot and learn what the car will do and what you have to do to correct it, practice braking, and whatever.

If you are a sensible kid you will do fine. Enjoy your new Camaro you lucky brat !!
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #90
camaro52010
Camaro4ever

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 1978 Z28 Camaro
My issue is a RUST issue. New York anyways uses TOO much salt and it rusts the crap outta your under carriage and salt, sand and cinders just does amazing things to your paint. If you can afford this car you can afford a 3 month winter beater.

Mopar daily drivers and winter beaters what Mopars were invented for.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #91
ZCT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS (IOM)
Old Fart

I'm going to do the old fart thing (I am 36 after all), and say that I am astonished that there are 16 year olds getting cars like this, in any weather!

Even the V6 is a 312HP monster, capable of some amazing acceleration in sports mode. Add to that horrible visibility, large size, and inexperience driving. Then throw down some snow as well. Wow.

I have close to 20 years driving experience now, and I still feel I need to concentrate a little harder driving a Camaro than many other cars.

I wish you all the best, really, but this doesn't seem like a sensible choice for a first car.

ZCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #92
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
Nuff said:

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #93
emin7
1st State C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNVenom View Post
Nuff said:
Old 10-19-2010, 02:09 AM   #94
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I think the winter tires would be overkill, at least for me. I just put 4 new all seasons on for around 700 bucks. I'm not interested in swapping tires out twice a year. Unless you really, really gets lots of snow and the roads don't get cleared afterwards, I don't think it's worth it. Maybe the V8 is another story, but I think this V6 will be fine.
i agree!..here in new england!..get plenty of the white stuff,and no problems with 'all-seasons" tires!..of course it's NOT advisable to be out driving around in a storm,however once the roads are plowed,this car drives just fine!..it's heavy(ballast),got traction control,posi,and it's weight is balanced front and rear!..slow down for the conditions,and ya get through winter ..ok!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #95
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Camaro11 View Post
The Camaro is not an ideal vehicle for the snow. When equipped with snow tires, I am certain it should be safe for 95% of any snowfall you see as long as proper care is taken not to overdrive the car. That is true of any vehicle though. Look at people in their SUV's, I see twice as many 4 wheel drives in the ditch here in Ohio compared to anything else because many of these people are overconfident or naive in their vehicle capabilities. When a Nor' Easter blows through, most people shouldn't be driving anyways.
this is true!..unless you get "caught" out in a snow storm,stay off the roads,and let the plows clear them!..just common sense!..why tempt fate?..if ya do this,you can get by on 'all-seasons!"..just be careful,and don't over speed for the conditions!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #96
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhiteLS View Post
I drove my fwd Cobalt SS through 3 Winters with all-season tires, and everything was ok (got stuck one time behind firehouse).

Now before you start saying "well, that was FWD", consider this:

My Balt SS had 215/45R18 All-Season tires.
The Camaro LS has 245/55R18 All- Season tires.
Camaro has narrower tires.

The Balt weighed 3000 lbs and had 60/40 weight distribution. That meant 1800 lbs were on the drive tires.
The Camaro has 52/48 weight distribution, which means 1824 lbs are on the drive wheels.
Camaro has slightly more weight on drive wheels.

My Balt did not have Traction Control or Stability Control.
Camaro has Traction Control and Stability Control.

Ground Clearance for the Cobalt SS was 5.4".
Ground Clearance for the Camaro (SS specs) is 6.5".
Camaro has higher ground clearance.

My Camaro LS looks look like it's gonna be just fine ...
i agree!..weight (ballast) is a huge factor!..especially over the drive wheels!
traction control,and posi just make for a safer car and more stable car in the snow!..ground clearance too can make a difference in the deeper snow,because the snow is less likely to "pack" underneath the vehicle limiting traction,and possibly raising the car up off the snow!..camaro being close to 50-50 in weight balance gives this car an advantage as well..slowing down for existing conditions is paramount in helping to keep the car "tracking" and under control!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #97
jmaryt

Quote:
it seems that the general consensus is that, as long as i slap some good wheels on it, i'll be fine. now i know i asked this before, but im really confused on whether i should get all seasons or winters. i know a lot of you have mentioned the scorpions, and others have said that i should be fine with all seasons.. average snowfall where i live is like 1-3 bad storms a year (in which case i wont even take my baby out) and a good amount of flurries, or slush, or wet snow... help?
you don't need full boat snows!.you can get them,and of course they WILL be better in the snow,however with the features,AND weight of the vehicle,AND knowing that you have to SLOW down in winter weather,and just be more careful in general,you should be fine!..DON'T try to over speed for the existing conditions,so you DON'T get into troble in the first place,and stay inside when a storm hits,so as to give the plow operators a chance to clear the roads before venturing out again!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #98
DCamaroLover

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
Hey guys! Thanks for all your input. It's helped a lot. I do not plan on driving my cam during bad storms, hell, even 2 inches will keep me off the roads. Don't get the idea that I plan on racing this car in the snow (or in any other weather for that matter. I only plan on taking it out in necessary situations, or for school (i might even tell my dad to take me in that case.) and I do realize that under snow conditions, the carefulness goes up 110%. so do not worry, I will be driving MUCH MUCH MUCH more careful.
DCamaroLover is offline   Reply With Quote