Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Peter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
He cut them off/straight pipes... no drains now. What you have now is a bath tub with no drain. It will eventually slosh out the back, or shoot out on a start up.

Think of the exhaust system like 15 ft of hose raised at both ends. OE, it has nice little drains in the rear where the water sloshes back then gets caught in the mufflers... runs out the drains. No drains, it's just going to build up in the low center section if it's just being started and then shut off.
Get a section of the exhaust completely full, start the motor and the exhaust pressure blows it out the back.

Not good for the cats or 02 sensors to be constantly in that much water.

Sounds like it might be it but do other people that have either cut the mufflers off or done the axle back exhaust have the same problem?

#280 MASTER MECP Certified
MECP - Sales, Basic and Advance Certified
ASE - 6 electrical certified
10+ years car audio installation, sales and manager
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #16
Peter

here is a pic of it from my shop floor

Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
here is a pic of it from my shop floor

thats definitely not normal!!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #18
Godon Hutchinson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Imperial Blue Metallic
I have the muffler delete on my SS and i have never seen any where close to that much water come from the exhaust. Thats not normal
Godon Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #19
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Did you all catch how little he drives the car? Moves it from the back to the front of a store. That is never going to burn off the exhaust water, and with no drains.... there is your explanation. Your exhaust is full of water, take it out on the highway and lay some throttle to it. Then stop the daily short run times, and get some quality mufflers with drains. That will solve the issue.

I wouldn't mess with going to the dealer, not going to accomplish a thing. Unless you need another explanation of how engines create water from fuel. It's a combustion byproduct. And on rich cold starts, your making a lot of water. Most people just never see it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
STOP STARTING YOUR CAR EVERY OTHER DAY!!!!

You are doing WAY more harm than good. Only start it when you are going to drive it. Its a car.... they are TOTALLY happy just sitting there.

IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godon Hutchinson View Post
I have the muffler delete on my SS and i have never seen any where close to that much water come from the exhaust. Thats not normal
I'd bet you drive yours regularly and burn off the exhaust moisture.

Try starting it for 10 minutes a day for a couple weeks, I'll bet you'll have some water too. Plus you have an SS. V8's heat up a lot quicker than smaller engines.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #22
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'd bet you drive yours regularly and burn off the exhaust moisture.

Try starting it for 10 minutes a day for a couple weeks, I'll bet you'll have some water too. Plus you have an SS. V8's heat up a lot quicker than smaller engines.
I know youre a smart guy and know your way around a car but I disagree with one thing here...

small engines heat up WAY faster as there is less to heat up... and it also has to do with the quantity of oil.

My 2.2L (or 2.4L not really sure... dont care) 2012 Civic heats up hella fast, like a minute or two. The 6.2L Camaro is so/so quick to heat up BUT my 5.9L Cummins takes FOREVER to heat up, it wont heat up idling unless its running for about a half hour. Now it also has 12 qts of oil and a big iron block to heat up.

I would think the V6 and the V8 would heat up about the same time...

Agian tho... why bother? The car doe not need started. I leave mine go for weeks or even months with the battery tender on it and its fine every time I get it out. My IROC has sat 6 months and fires right up.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #23
Russell James

Small engines hardly build any heat. Heat is an exact relation to power. This much power = this much heat.

A small engine that makes a ton of power will heat up fast. Such as a supercharged V6. I had a supercharged 3800 Grand Prix for a while, super great and fast winter heat.

But a small N/A motor is going to produce a lot less heat than a big V-8. The radiator size will confirm that. This guys puddles of water will also confirm.

You can manipulate warm up time with many aspects engineered into the engine controls and cooling system. But the basics of big engine, big heat should hold true. An exhaust system that is filling up from water is exactly from lack of heat, and lack of drains. As you mentioned, it just shouldn't be started for those short run times.

Take it out on the highway for a half hour. I'd bet not much water tomorrow morning.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #24
louf

Drives: 07 sil 06 imp 04 cav 59 cad
if you don`t let the car warm up enough at each start up you are only creating more condensation for the next time
louf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Small engines hardly build any heat. Heat is an exact relation to power. This much power = this much heat.

A small engine that makes a ton of power will heat up fast. Such as a supercharged V6. I had a supercharged 3800 Grand Prix for a while, super great and fast winter heat.

But a small N/A motor is going to produce a lot less heat than a big V-8. The radiator size will confirm that. This guys puddles of water will also confirm.

You can manipulate warm up time with many aspects engineered into the engine controls and cooling system. But the basics of big engine, big heat should hold true. An exhaust system that is filling up from water is exactly from lack of heat, and lack of drains. As you mentioned, it just shouldn't be started for those short run times.

Take it out on the highway for a half hour. I'd bet not much water tomorrow morning.
Cool, makes sense! Never looked at it that way. My little baby Honda still heats up WAY faster than my big truck.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #26
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Cool, makes sense! Never looked at it that way. My little baby Honda still heats up WAY faster than my big truck.
Your probably seeing the effects of a huge cooling system there in the truck.
Heat out of the exhaust/ speed to closed loop/ is going to be different from trying to heat up the entire cooling system. And that warm up time can be so manipulted in the engine controls. Those crazy Honda engineers have some mad skills in the engine dept., probably have that warm up time really shortened up for fuel efficiency and emissions. The truck is going to need a huge cooling system for it's work needs.... But I'd bet it's cats get real hot real quick.

I see that a lot with cat temps when working on cars. Pull in a big V8 after just a few minutes of running and the cats are already screaming hot. Lots of fuel going through the big motor heating them up fast. The cooling system may still be stone cold, but screaming hot cats.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #27
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Quote:
Not normal for the typical car and driving habits. But normal for what you are doing.

Normally, the OE mufflers have holes that drain the moisture out. And normally people drive more miles and burn off the water in the exhaust.
With no mufflers and the short start ups, your system is building up water, probably sloshing around the resonator and pipes between the resonator and rear tips.

One gallon of gas burned creates about a gallon of water. If you don't drive long enough to burn that off, or slosh it back to the mufflers where it will leak out the weep holes (which you don't have), gonna have quite the water filled system.

Weld the mufflers back on, and don't start it unless your going to drive it is the solution. Will sound a lot better too.
A gallon of gas makes a gallon of water? You may have magic cats.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
Peter

Well I took it in this morning, they also had to do oil change, wheel alignment, and some other stuff so they where going to look at the exhaust too. The service tech said that most likely what is happening is that, like others said your not getting your exhaust hot enough to evaporate the condensation out of the exhaust, but he did say from the picture that it is excessive on the water coming out so he would look into it. But what more got him concerned is that there is alot of black suit in the water the is coming out for a vehicle with only 4k miles on it.

So we will see what they say. I would like to put exhaust on it but I have not found ones that I like the sound, I know I dont have a v8 and really dont want it to sound like one, but I dont want it to sound like a honda either. The way it sounds now I actually like and it is not to loud when just driving but has a good rasp when I get into it.