Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #29
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
A gallon of gas makes a gallon of water? You may have magic cats.
To be exact it's 1.03 gallons... just wanted to round it to the nearest gallon.

It might be a hair less in this case, as a direct injection engine runs pretty lean and the calculation assumes stoichiometric combustion. But then the other curveball is he is only doing cold starts... richer than stoich... let's just call it a gallon.

Da math...

C8H18 + 12.5O2 --> 8CO2 + 9H2O

Stoichiometry gives (118lb of C8H18 reacts with 400lb of Oxygen to give 353 lb of CO2 and 162 lbs of water). So per pound of gasoline burnt you get 1.42 lbs of water. Density of gasoline is around 6 lbs / gal and that of water is 8.3 lbs/gal. Plugging in those numbers you get 1.03 gallons of water are produced per gallons of gasoline burnt.

So there is the water. The black gunk is the carbon. Don't make me weigh that...

Where was Google when I was in school.... could have got much better grades back then!
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #30
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
I...I had no idea. I guess I've never thought it all of the way through before.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #31
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Did you all catch how little he drives the car? Moves it from the back to the front of a store. That is never going to burn off the exhaust water, and with no drains.... there is your explanation. Your exhaust is full of water, take it out on the highway and lay some throttle to it. Then stop the daily short run times, and get some quality mufflers with drains. That will solve the issue.

I wouldn't mess with going to the dealer, not going to accomplish a thing. Unless you need another explanation of how engines create water from fuel. It's a combustion byproduct. And on rich cold starts, your making a lot of water. Most people just never see it.
This.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #32
Peter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You just made my head hurt, so now then if your car produces that much water could you drink it if you where stranded and only had the car and no water. HAHA

#280 MASTER MECP Certified
MECP - Sales, Basic and Advance Certified
ASE - 6 electrical certified
10+ years car audio installation, sales and manager
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #33
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
You just made my head hurt, so now then if your car produces that much water could you drink it if you where stranded and only had the car and no water. HAHA
Your car produces that much water but most times you wont see nearly that much water..as he said if your car is not warmed up there will be condensation..esp if you are not using it as a daily driver..most imes once there car is warmed up most of the water that is produced is evaporated by the timw it hits the
Cats..if not all of it..due to the exhaust gettinggot..this is why if coolent or oil leaks it burns up and creates a colored smoke out your exhaust. Unless the coolant is excessive and runs down and puddles in your cat...
Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
If you had some way to filter out the carcinogens. Now if you were sporting a hydrogen fuel cell, then sure drink straight from the pipe.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote