Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #29
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
I know, right?
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #30
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallysport View Post
Seriously. I guess the car just isn't worth it then...guess I will order a Rolls Royce....ya know...for real "perfection". Unbelievable what some people will fault, absolutely unfreakin believable.
Seriously??

The guy found a flaw in his body work and people are getting on him for it??
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #31
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by efpardo View Post
I?ve had my car for almost two weeks and I just noticed an odd defect on both rear wheel wells. On the body at the point where the body meets the bumper I noticed waviness in the metal. It is very subtle but definitely there.

During my first oil change today, I pointed this out to the dealer, but they said there was not much they could do unless they re-worked the panel.

I?m not so bothered at this point because it?s just not that noticeable but I do wonder how common this may be.

I'll try to post pics later.
I just noticed that tonight myself when I got in from turning 1000 amazing miles!!! it makes the orange peel really stand out!

I'm over it
________
Voyeur xxx

Last edited by superstockcam; 04-19-2011 at 02:51 AM.
superstockcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #32
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Having degrees in Auto Body and working in the industry all my life I would say it is nothing to worry about “big time optical illusion” Mine has this issue as well but it is an optical illusion caused by the bends in the surface and the factory clear finish. If you really look at it close the surface is not wavy at all. This is going to show up more on darker colors. I’m thinking a wet sand, buff and polish of the clear would take it out. On the other hand it could make it worse because of the mirror finish after the wet sand…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #33
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Having degrees in Auto Body and working in the industry all my life I would say it is nothing to worry about “big time optical illusion” Mine has this issue as well but it is an optical illusion caused by the bends in the surface and the factory clear finish. If you really look at it close the surface is not wavy at all. This is going to show up more on darker colors. I’m thinking a wet sand, buff and polish of the clear would take it out. On the other hand it could make it worse because of the mirror finish after the wet sand…
I agree. Run your fingers on the edges to make sure it's not just an optical illusion.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #34
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
_I'd get a belt sander with a 400 grit wet/dry belt, brace myself real steady and buff it out

JUST KIDDING!!!

Seriously, it ain't broke. don't fix it. In 6 mos it won't matter.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #35
scottmoyer

Drives: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
The wave I see is easily fixed by a PDR guy. If this is seen on many vehicles, it could be the stamping process or the line worker's handling during installation. Vehicle sheet metal is easily dented these days so any strong handling can dent the surface. Based on the minimal distortion, the PDR guy should be able to fix it for $20 or so.

Also, because of the sheet metal sensitivity, always allow the hood to slam shut and let go of the doors when closing them. The hood is reinforced at the latch and is designed to be dropped. If you lay it down, then push it shut, you WILL dent the hood. The same with the trunk and doors.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #36
JSkibisky

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
... a good "paintless dent removal" tech can (provided that they can get behind it) do wonders with that... you'll never know it was there ...
JSkibisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #37
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
digging up a oldie here, but i am having the same problem with my quarter panel where it meets the bumper as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #38
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #39
blackSSRS

Drives: 2010 RS
i've got this in my car aswell and have wanted to look at others in person to see if i notice it. this is a DEFECT in my opinion. and those who are giving crap for noticing it i have no kind words for you. its not how its supposed to be, what's wrong with wanting perfection? isn't that why a good amount of people keep these cars as garage queens or rarely driven.... it bothers the shit out of me GM let this pass and didn't make it fit perfect, poor quality/craftsmanship in my opinion on this area but i live with it.
if GM would take it in and fix it i'd be first in line and mine is a DD. i love this car for the beautiful lines, not wavy/bumpy slop that wasn't intended to be there.
blackSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #40
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSSRS View Post
i've got this in my car aswell and have wanted to look at others in person to see if i notice it. this is a DEFECT in my opinion. and those who are giving crap for noticing it i have no kind words for you. its not how its supposed to be, what's wrong with wanting perfection? isn't that why a good amount of people keep these cars as garage queens or rarely driven.... it bothers the shit out of me GM let this pass and didn't make it fit perfect, poor quality/craftsmanship in my opinion on this area but i live with it.
if GM would take it in and fix it i'd be first in line and mine is a DD. i love this car for the beautiful lines, not wavy/bumpy slop that wasn't intended to be there.
+1.. I totally agree. Really kind of bothers me. I can live with it, but Id rather it not be there. I took my car by the dealer today and showed him. We looked at other camaros on the lot and all seemed to have this problem, though they werent as bad as mine. I am supposed to bring it to them on Wednesday so that they can look it over and see what options there are. Like others have said, I hope the cure isnt worse than the illness.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #41
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Has to be more with this problem.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #42
sene

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LS
If you are using light reflections you are opening yourself to optical illusions. Spay the area with powdered graphite and you will see the highs and lows, if any.
sene is offline   Reply With Quote