Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Actual Football (Fully Inflated) Thread - When Did You Fall in Love with the NFL?

- NO deflategate stuff here. If you want to participate then just stick to the question.

When did you first fall in love with the NFL? What age? Game moment? Experience?

For me it was the 1992 season (I was 15). I had watched the New England Patriots for many years, but come on, you know how bad they were in the 80's (for most of the later part) and 90's. Everyone in High School was a HUGE NFL fan and so I started watching preseason more serious that year. By week 4 after a rough loss at San Francisco, I really fell in love with the New Orleans Saints. The "DOME PATROL" with Jackson-Johnson-Swilling-Mills, man what a defense! I loved how they played D, it was just electric to watch.

Even managed to pester my Mom that year into getting game tickets here vs the Patriots! Got to see that team live!

It was great. From then on I loved the NFL.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Actual Football (Fully Inflated) Thread - When Did You Fall in Love with the ...

1985-1986

I was 6, in kindergarten and doing the Super Bowl shuffle

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
1985-1986

I was 6, in kindergarten and doing the Super Bowl shuffle

Ryan
Nice!!

The 46 defense of Buddy Ryan, now that was a ballsy D to play!

Of course they beat NE in the SB.....
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 01-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Liked it as a kid when we won the Championship !

Loved it as an adult when the team hired me.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
Liked it as a kid when we won the Championship !

Loved it as an adult when the team hired me.
DETAILS!!!!! ???

Old 01-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Ealry 80's when I started playing peewee football at 8 years old. Montana, Rice, Clark, Rothman, Marino, Clayton, Duper, Fouts, Elway, Walker, Dorsett, Payton, Dickerson, Allen, Riggins. For the pats it was Grogan, Fryar,Morgan.

Last edited by trashmanssd; 01-24-2015 at 08:28 AM.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Nice!!

The 46 defense of Buddy Ryan, now that was a ballsy D to play!

Of course they beat NE in the SB.....

They didn't just beat them they dominated. 7 total rush yards I believe. I think at the half the had negative yards. That D was unbelievable

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
Muscle Car Lover

Not sure you can find film or the year, but Buffalo played Denver in I think the AFC title game and won 10-7 or something. I forget the year, but what I do not forget was how brutal that game was. Not until NE vs Titans in divisional round in the 2000's did I see a game to match that intensity.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #9
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Late 60's playing football in school.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
My furthest memory goes back to the Dolphins Redskins Superbowl, 1972 season, remember the Yepremian missed punt, and I believe it was either Pat Fisher or Chris Hanburger int for 6.
Haven't missed one since !!!
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I collected baseball cards as a kid. Baseball was/is my favorite pro sport.

I used to go buy the cards in droves every time I got a couple bucks in my pocket. (Probably was that petrified piece of bubblegum was the hook). Anyway, I recall it was late in the baseball season and I went to the drug store to buy more baseball cards. I accidently picked up a pack of football cards in there and didn't know it until I got home. I remember feeling like "Aw crap, I hosed up getting that pack of football cards." I never felt the need to buy football cards.

This coming from a kid who used to trade or put nearly ANY non-St. Louis Cardinals baseball card in the spokes of his Stingray bike. (shut up, everyone did it back in those days) Even remember putting a Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays in there. Flap flap flap... who knew?

Interestingly, it could have been a zenith of a football card pack as at least 2 of those cards inside were pretty awesome players in the day (Ray Nitschke, Gale Sayers). Every local kid knew about Gale Sayers and Ray Nitschke, but Roman Gabriel of the Rams?

It was THIS particular card below that was in the pack that hooked me to the L.A. Rams, and has been my favorite team ever since. I was a STL Cardinal fan already, so when the Rams moved to St. Louis it was a fantastic day for me having both my favorite baseball/football teams in the same city even though I no longer lived near there. When I moved away from home, I gave away my card collection to my little cousin.

And THAT is how I got hooked into following the NFL.

I even remember saving up like 12 or 15 bucks and buying crap like this:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
1978 , dallas cowboys/ Denver broncos , hail mary pass. been a cowboys fan ever since
Old 01-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #13
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
1974 - elementary school friend introduces me to Larry Csonka, Paul Warfield and Bob Griese. Dynamite powerhouse football team. for the organization of that era. Patriots were a doormat for many seasons until the 80's with the likes of Steve Grogan, Stanley Morgan, John Hannah, and Steve Nelson, Andre Tippett.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
keith.wilkinson.10

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
Superbowl XXIII, I was 9. Watching Rice get 215 yards through the air from Montana, we'd play in the back yard pretending to be them. I too grew up a Pats fan, what a tough time that was.
keith.wilkinson.10 is offline   Reply With Quote