Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Squeaking when turning wheel

So this has been a recent issue since I got my rims put on before I went back overseas after R&R, but I'm completely sure it's not a rubbing issue. When I turn my wheel to the left and right at a certain point I can hear a squeaking noise coming from the engine bay. I had someone else turn the wheel while I stuck my head down by the steering shaft and it sounds like that is what is makng the noise. Doesn't sound like its the rack and pinion or a power steering pump chatter and my reservoir for the fluid is full too. Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Mechman108

Drives: '12 Camaro LS M6, '16 Lexus IS200T
I have this problem on mine. Spoke to the dealer about it. They will be working on this next time I take it in.
Mechman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Ya dude after 2 weeks having my brand new ss and it started to do that it's not your rims rubbing. I forgot what exactly what happens but I know once you bring it to your dealer they are gonna have to order something to fix it! I mine hasn't done it since!
954camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Frid

Thanks for the info. I'm not home for a few months but if you can find out exactly what it was that'll help out in the long run.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
So this has been a recent issue since I got my rims put on before I went back overseas after R&R, but I'm completely sure it's not a rubbing issue. When I turn my wheel to the left and right at a certain point I can hear a squeaking noise coming from the engine bay. I had someone else turn the wheel while I stuck my head down by the steering shaft and it sounds like that is what is makng the noise. Doesn't sound like its the rack and pinion or a power steering pump chatter and my reservoir for the fluid is full too. Anyone have any insight on this?
Greetings Frid,

I'm sorry about the squeaking you hear when turning the wheel. I know that must be displeasing for you. Have you considered taking your vehicle in to have this concern diagnosed? I'd be more than happy to schedule an appointment for you. Feel free to message me for additional assistance! I'd look forward to interacting with you.

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechman108 View Post
I have this problem on mine. Spoke to the dealer about it. They will be working on this next time I take it in.
Mechman108,

The same courtesy extends to you. Please keep us updated on the diagnosis at the dealership. Let me know if you have additional questions and feel free to send over a message if so.

Regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Many/most cars will make power steering noise when you get to the end of the movement (ie: near lock), especially if the car is not moving. As increased load is placed on the pump at extremes.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
JimeE its not that kind of noise. I know of what you are talking about but this problem that they are talking about is something that can be fixed
954camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Do you have after market end links had the same issue they were binding up changed them out issue gone...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Frid

Everything is stock in the front besides drop springs and they have been on for a good while now.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Frid

Anyone got any more info about this? Overseas, so I can't take the car into a shop to have it checked out. When the windows are rolled up, I can heard a clatter sound when I hit a bump too whether it be a small or big one.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Bruin7980

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
I had the same issue with my 2011 Camaro RS, only has 11,500 miles on the car, started to make a squeaky noise and feel when turning the steering wheel left or right, took it to the dealer today and they said I needed a new rack and pinion, I said wow really I baby my care and with such low mileage, just hope this is just a one time issue with this car.
Bruin7980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Frid

I was wanting to hope it wouldn't be that. Still doesn't explain the clunking sound I get when I hit bumps in the road though....or maybe it does....idk lol.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Frid

Mine doesn't even have 11k miles on it.